Walmart's New "Cable TV Show" Is Going To Be So Awesome

Reader K sends us this screen shot of the Walmart employee benefit page announcing a “cable TV show” on USA and Lifetime (click the image for the full schedule). K says:

I don’t know if I’m the only one who finds this a little odd, but Wal-Mart is starting up a TV series about its associates. It’s going to be called “In-Front with Wal-Mart” and is set to air April 28 on USA. I’ve attached a screenshot capture of walmartbenefits.com where I found this info. Seems kind of likely a silly PR stunt. Even though I work for Wal-Mart (and love it) I still think this is kind of ridiculous.

Hmmm, would USA really do a Walmart TV show? Sure! Why?

walmartinfomercial.jpg It’s an infomercial. —MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. nweaver says:

Darn, and I was hoping for Behind the Counter to be done Airline style.

2. danieldavis says:

Bout time. An evil empire like wally-world needs to capitalize off everything it can.

3. Aston14 says:

Where does it say that it will be on Lifetime? All I see is the USA schedule. What exactly would they sell? Weird.

4. saram says:

@Aston14

They will be trying to sell the most important thing that they could.

The Walmart image.

5. dbeahn says:

Well, it was either this or “Spinning in a grave, with Sam Walton!”

6. orielbean says:

they should attach a turbine to Walton’s casket. The rotations could power an entire nation of mouth-breathing non-bargain hunters. What sucks more is that his idiot kids let themselves get bought out by the greedmongers. RIP Sam.

7. CumaeanSibyl says:

@dbeahn, orielbean: Watch out, guys, you’re going to get stomped flat by the backlash. OMG DUN HATE ON WAL-MART! UR JUS JELLIS!!

8. filmwallah says:

i have seen parts of it and yes, it is a show, in magazine format. there are various segments about associates, the environment, energy saving and even one with a grammy winning musical star (who could it be? hint… rhymes with forté). as far as i know there will be no selling, but the network’s rules classify this as an infomercial.

9. mantari says:

Oh! So this is like an infomercial, but instead of a product, they’re selling their brand?

10. mopar_man says:

Is Wal-Mart’s image so bad that they need to have 2 hours dedicated to promoting themselves? If so, good work everybody! I can’t imagine how brain-numbing this infomercial would be.

11. superlayne says:

“Hey, Sally, I sure do love WalMart!”
    “Oh, so do I, Steve! I’m a bland, female steryotype modern women cannot relate too!”
    “Oh, you…You know I’m just a cliched, Afrian-American! To bring in the minorities!”
    *both laugh*

Ugh.

12. Aanidaani says:

Bourgeois propaganda — we must fight the landholders and depose their autocratic rule!

13. crankymediaguy says:

This isn’t the first time USA Network has aired an informercial like this. Back in the late 80’s, they had an Herbalife “show” on every Sunday night at 11 PM, if I’m recalling the time correctly. Even though I had to get up at 4:20 AM for my job as a wacky morning drive radio DJ, I was rivited to this nightmare.

It featured all the top-selling Herbalife weasels running up to the stage to get their “override” checks (whatever the hell THAT means) from the scumbags who ran the company.

I remember Larry, who looked more like a used car salesman than anyone I’ve ever seen and Mark, the founder of the company, who allegedly started it because his mother died of cancer because mainstream medicine couldn’t help her and who eventually died himself from drugs. Nice bunch of folks.

14. shdwsclan says:

Do they show all the chinese child slave labor that goes into their products ?

15. Carson Daly says:

I’ll probably check it out.

16. IC18 says:

Another Shopping Network Show, thats all we needed.

17. And HOW much money that Wal-Mart absolutely could not afford to spend on employee freaking health care did they spend making this monstrosity of public masturbation??