TurboTax Apologizes And Gives Refunds For Filing Slowdown

TurboTax sent an email this morning to customers saying sorry for the big server slowdown on April 17th, and pledging refunds to any one who tried to file that day.

While we described making a tax program that doesn’t work on tax day as being “like showing up to the Olympics drunk,” this latest overture shows Intuit sobered up good.

turbotaxapology.jpg

Dear TurboTax Customer,

We want to let you know that Intuit will be refunding any TurboTax credit card charges that were charged to your credit or debit card between 3 p.m. PDT Tuesday, April 17 and 4 a.m. PDT Wednesday, April 18.

We deeply regret the frustration and anxiety you may have experienced trying to e-file your return on April 17.

We worked closely with the IRS to allow taxpayers who were affected by the delay to file their returns until midnight tonight, Thursday, April 19, without penalty. Intuit will also pay any other penalties that customers incur as a result of the delay, although none are anticipated.

We will be contacting you early next week with additional details about this refund. We value your business and appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,

Bob Meighan
Bob Meighan
Vice President, TurboTax Customer Advocacy
Intuit, Inc.

— BEN POPKEN

PREVIOUSLY:

IRS Won’t Penalize Turbo Tax Late Filers
Interview: Reader Describes Last Night’s Turbo Tax Slowdown
Overwhelmed Turbo Tax Servers Slow To Crawl For E-Filers
Turbo Tax’s Servers Down?

Comments

1. bartinpc says:

Well, I don’t have to call now. I was going to wait till I got back in town next week.

2. a says:

Damn, I wish I had been a slacker and waited until the last minute — even though “Tax Day” came later this year than ever.

There should be a write-off for being responsible.

Hey, if I go flush all the toilets at once in a baseball stadium and explode all the plumbing, maybe I can get season tickets, too!

3. Mr. Gunn says:

Don’t worry, Lauren, us procrastinators pay for slacking in many other ways. Just fire up your imagination and you’ve got all the schadenfreude you need to make you feel better.

4. Another Smurf says:

The note isn’t dated… did they actually wait until the 20th to inform their customers that they were getting a free extension until the 19th?

5. blkthndr says:

I find this ridiculous, I want a refund for filing on time. This reminds me of doing my work in school on time and then the day before it was due the teacher would extend the deadline. At least then I was offered extra points…

6. higginsrj says:

@Another Smurf: No, the IRS announced that the other day.

7. Why are we rewarding this type of behaviour??? I am quite confused here. What good can come of a public that is rewarded for idleness?

8. unwritten07 says:

We screwed up.
    We are sorry.
    We will make it right.

Was that so difficult?

9. googleinternetmachine says:

@blkthndr
    little unrelated to the topic, but it just your comment reminded me about high school projects.
    I went to a french high school which is completlty seperate from the entire english education system, we eneded up finding a loophole which pretty much read that as long as you handed in ANY assignment (any assignment given to do throughout the year) before the final exam, the prof could not deduct marks for being late.

Sadly though I would never miss an assignment deadline, but one of my friends (who never handed things on time anyway) decided to try to see if this would work.

Long story short, he shows up at the final exam with every report/assignment done and aced the course.