Verizon Makes Timely Repairs Only 35% Of The Time, NY AG Blasts

NY Attorney General Andrew Cuomo lambasted Verizon for taking too long to fulfill customer repair requests. Current standards mandate Verizon perform fixes 80% of phone lines within 24 hours of getting a customer call. The AG said that Verizon is letting copper telephone lines stagnate, shunting those resources instead for laying down more fiber-optic.

Good news for New Yorkers, as long as Cuomo follows his bark up with a bite. — BEN POPKEN

Cuomo Releases Report Showing Verizon Fails To Make Timely Repairs 35% Of The Time [Press Release] (Thanks to Matt!)

(Photo: Mr Wabu)

Comments

1. danieldavis says:

Well, considering that they cant add, I’d say its reasonable they cant get off their lazy asses and do some good.

2. Amsterdaam says:

This reminds me of Anchorman, concerning Sex Panther Cologne:

“They’ve done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time”

3. bellhalla says:

There’s a difference between “makes timely repairs 35% of the time” and “fails to make repairs 35% of the time”. The second one sucks a little less than the first one, but still misses their target of timely repairs 80% of the time.

4. Buran says:

If NY still had Eliot Spitzer as the AG (apparently they fired him? Figures. Big Business probably hated him) I’d have faith that they’d go after these idiots. I don’t know what to expect of this guy I’ve never heard of.

5. BillyShears says:

The headline’s wrong, Ben:

In total, Verizon failed to comply with the standards 35% of the time, although in some individual bureaus the failure rate was as high as 82% of the time.

At Verizon’s best, they were only operating at 65%; at their worst they were failing at 82%.

What I’m saying that you inadvertently low-balled the number, giving them credit when absolutely none was due. :)

6. BillyShears says:

@Buran: …

Spitzer is no long AG because he’s now Governor Spitzer.

7. Xeelee says:

So that’s why people always call us back pissed off about the tech not going to their premises…

I work at a Vz DSL Tech Support center. I admit there are some stupid agents who don’t know their ips from their macs, but most of the time we successfully troubleshoot the issue and send for a dispatch.

Problem is most of the time dispatches for DSL rarely happen on time. People get pissed off about it, then they call back requesting a technician NOW and – in my case – they hang up when they can’t get one… only to call back again ang go through the same charade.

All in all it’s still the same situation. Now, keep in mind this is for DSL repair, but most of the time issues with DSL are caused by a problem in the phone line, and the technicians who fix these issues are trained on phone repairs.

8. FLConsumer says:

While I can’t vouch for Verizon NY, Verizon FL also deserves a mention here. As long as everything works, you’re in great shape… When something goes wrong, especially if it’s not one of their top three problems, you’re screwed. Just trying to get them to dispatch the right technician for the job is a nightmare.

9. warchild says:

So many bad reports on here about Verizon, yet Consumerist has ads on their web site for them? Doesn’t make sense to me..