Blackberry Owes You A New Girlfriend

Poor Rafael, he got into a big fight with his girlfriend right before the Blackberry outage and now he’s single. From Network World:

And it hasn’t just been loss control that has suffered, he adds: “This issue sucks. I’ve been getting grief about it from my now ex-girlfriend thanks to this delay. She thought I was ignoring her e-mails when I was receiving them hours late.”

So I write back expressing my fervent hope that he was kidding about the “ex” part. No chance.

“We got into a really bad argument earlier in the day,” he replies. “She sent me a few e-mails and when I didn’t respond right away, she thought I was ignoring her and called it off. I didn’t get the e-mail it was over until around 2 a.m. today.”

Not knowing what else to say, I suggest that perhaps this situation might be covered by his BlackBerry service-level agreement. His reply:

“I’ll call RIM and tell them to give me an upgrade on a new girlfriend.”

It’s our opinion that Rafael is better off. The ex obviously doesn’t read Consumerist or she’d have known immediately what was going on. —MEGHANN MARCO

BlackBerry owes this guy a girlfriend [Network World] (Thanks, Maxwell!)
(Photo:David Wilmot)

Comments

1. chimmike says:

do these people not own PCs? Or are they so attached to that little device that they cannot survive businesswise or socially without it?

I have no sympathy, sorry. You cannot depend on technology.

2. Youthier says:

If your girlfriend is that needy, Blackberry did you a favor.

3. Falconfire says:

Hi um CELLPHONE.

If your girlfriend is dumping you over a email, she needs to grown the fuck up.

4. shiny says:

@Falconfire: But what if he was on a plane at the time of the supposed breakup and, thus, he couldn’t use his cel phone? :)

I have to agree, of course. If a couple has issues over delayed response to email, then I think there are far more severe problems in the relationship than those of a technological nature.

5. LAGirl says:

how old is the girlfriend? 12??

6. He says:

@shiny: If he was on a plane, he couldn’t use his blackberry either.

Maybe it’s a sign that you shouldn’t make yourself available 24/7 for instantaneous responses. Don’t use the blackberry for stuff that’s not actually urgent and see how it goes.

7. bambino says:

o man that’s some funny shit. since it’s not me, i mean.

8. urban_ninjya says:

Sounds like a whipped man. Not responding to emails right away…? Don’t most people just read their emails like 2 or 3 times a day. If you want instant response, use the damn phone. I’m sorry, her mind was already made up to break up before sending the emails. Reversing that, even for a super player would be just as hard as growing a set of pecs from a flabby beer gut.

I’m sorry, she’s not really that into him to begin with. On a percent scale would be low 50’s. (50 being ‘dateable’, and 100 being absolute loyaty and infatuation) If her interest in you was in the 70’s or higher, he wouldn’t have to put so much effort into maintenance. (the best relationships both people are in that range I think) If it was in the 90’s or higher, they he could of gotten away with a one night stand or two.

Sounds like a big whiner to me.

9. tvh2k says:

Dumped over email–ouch. That’s just a step above the facebook.

10. echoing everyone else.. damn that is pathetic on so many levels..

11. MentalDisconnect says:

Yeah sounds like a situation with me where something minor set off my girlfriend dumping me; obviously she had been considering it for a while, too. (The day after my birthday- she could just barely wait any longer). So I’m guessing it’s something like that. Or she is completely over-reacting, and has a tendency to demand instant gratification/is completely suspicious of the guy/ is a very high-maintenance girlfriend. Either way Rafael, the next couple days suck, and then enjoy it! Go flirt with girls, enjoy watching some movies without worrying about constantly checking your Blackberry, and convince yourself (aided by a bottle of beer or a pint of ice cream, your choice) that you never really needed her anyway.

12. danieldavis says:

@He:

I agree ^^^

Oh well, just look at yourself as a big net in a sea of fish: others will come.

13. pestie says:

@Falconfire: Oh, I’ve so been there! Nothing says “I never should have dated her” like getting a break-up e-mail.

14. flyover says:

Wow – those lost call commercials actually happen.

15. royal72 says:

“people of earth, your attention please… it has been decided by the galactic council, that you are too stupid to function with the rest of the universe. your planet is thereby scheduled for demolition. the process will take slightly less than two of your earth minutes. thank you very much… there’s need to act all surprised about it. we sent the demolition plans to your blackberry last week… if your network is down, that’s of your own account. energize the demolition beams.”

16. rbb says:

@royal72: But wait, I know the question to the answer “42” is…

17. emax4 says:

Everyone’s right, that your girlfriend is/was immature. But now you can make smalltalk with “My girlfriend broke up with me because my Blackberry had delayed emails”, and see if a few potential mates had the same thing happen to them. :)

18. etinterrapax says:

Agreed; good riddance. I know it’s little enough balm for facing the immediate future bereft of sex and movie dates, but honestly, someday you’ll tell the real love of your life about her, and you’ll both laugh. In person.

19. rrapynot says:

At least he got his girlfriend to RIM him.

20. shdwsclan says:

Lost calls are common, especially in gsm which is tdma system.
    TDMA stands for Time Division Multiple Access.

Basically, this works by sort of like timesharing a single phone line. When you make a phone call, another person is also on that same phone call on a different encryption key, so when the two interleaved streams are decoded, then only the right stream will be produced.
    And then the calles are routed by a digital telephone system into to backbone of the CO of the telephone office if its a call to a ground line.

This is efficient and practical when you have a limited amount of calls.

But, this system can break, because the so many people are calling, that the there are no more holes in any datastreams, and therefore you have to wait in a queue to use the phone, because the system is packed.

The only real issue with CDMA is that you have no coverage in central and western europe, and most of the the middle east[israel has coverage], greenland, and small parts of the world. ~80% of the world has CDMA coverage, especially asia+russia, latin america, and such.

21. SOhp101 says:

Sorry for saying this (not really, actually), but it’s a good thing she dumped you. It’s not good to be attached to such a needy girl. Please, for the sake of your own happiness, move on.

22. tcabeen says:

@missbrooke06: ditto. word. absolutely. Seriously. wtf. Good riddance.

23. cgmaetc says:

This guy is obviously a rescuer. She’s needy, he needs to be needed. They seem like they are made for each other.

24. cde says:

@urban_ninjya: Blackberries are to emails as text messages are to cell phones. You get notified as soon as the blackberry gets the email. Its like a cell phone voicemail. You only check your home voicemail once or twice a day but most people check their cell phone voicemail as soon as their cellhone tell them they have a message waiting.

But seriously, wtf breaks up over email? I thought that only happened in the movies…

25. John Stracke says:

@shdwsclan:

Lost calls are common, especially in gsm which is tdma system.
    TDMA stands for Time Division Multiple Access.

[...]

So basically, if this has happened to you, switch to a CDMA/PCS provider like Verizon or Sprint. They have twice or more the capacity and better coverage than GSM in a GSM zone.Oh, boy. OK, first: TDMA does not work that way. It does timeshare a channel, but it does it by time division, like the name says. That means the senders take turns sending, so that their streams are interleaved. If one is sending ABCD, another is sending WXYZ, and a third is sending 1234, then the physical channel will carry AW1BX2CY3DZ4. There’s no encryption involved in the channel division; if there were, it would be code division, as in CDMA. (The streams being multiplexed may be encrypted, but first they have to be demultiplexed.)

Second: You’re right that, when there are no TDMA channels available, you’ll get a busy signal; but that doesn’t mean that CDMA has more capacity. It just means that CDMA may overcommit, like an airline, and let calls go through for which it may or may have enough bandwidth. The result will be packet loss, which translates into degraded sound quality. Whether or not this is better than not getting through at all is a hard question.

Third: even if CDMA really did mean more capacity for a given chunk of bandwidth, it wouldn’t mean that CDMA carriers necessarily had more capacity, because it depends strongly on how many resources (towers, bandwidth, backhaul lines) the carrier has in a given area. I know from experience that CDMA carriers can be worse: in 2000, I fell for the CDMA story (I’m a network geek; CDMA made more sense to me than TDMA), and switched from AT&T (TDMA) to Sprint (CDMA). Sprint had terrible coverage at the time; their “only all-digital network, built from scratch” story just meant that they had a small digital network and no analog network to fall back on. Plus, with no analog network, they had no way to swap roaming agreements with other carriers. I had a dual-mode phone, but when I didn’t have CDMA coverage, it kicked me over to the North American Roaming Network, which wanted a credit card number…over an unencrypted connection.

Fourth: what the hell does this have to do with the story? The outage in question was not a lost call; if it had been, the girlfriend would’ve gotten a busy signal and known she wasn’t being ignored.

26. unwritten07 says:

There’s no law that says you have to rush to answer a ringing phone or drop what you’re doing immediately because “you’ve got mail”.

I’m not a dog owned by Pavlov, drooling and running at the sound of a bell.

27. Stepehn Colbert says:

From the way she acts, “calling it off” because you didn’t respond right away, sound like you owe yourself a new girlfriend ;).

28. notebook says:

Poor guy. I sympathize with him.
    He explained it to her and she didn’t care? Wow, talk about rude. Seriously, upgrade girlfriend, please.

29. CumaeanSibyl says:
  30. snowferret says:

Dude if your girlfriend breaks up with you over not responding to an email right away shes not worth it. WTF? you really want to date that?

31. mattbrown says:

if your girlfriend is breaking up with you over email, your girlfriend should break up with you over email.

32. superbmtsub says:

The girlfriend needs to learn to leave a voicemail! If she’s ignorant about voicemails, then he shouldnt even be dating her. Me thinks Rafael got a lucky break.

33. biggeek says:

She’s a clingy, co-dependent airhead. Good riddance.

Nothing drives me up the wall faster than a girl constantly pestering me with phone calls and e-mails during the day. And you guys that let them get away with it are only making it worse, so cut it out.

34. Slosh says:

screw her anyway, if she still wants to break up in the face of overwealming evidence that there was a blackberry outage, she ain’t worth it.

i bet she beleive in intelligent design too.

and leprochans.

35. Stepehn Colbert says:

Rafael, try to get this post updated as often as possible, so people continue to know what a moron your ex is. If she tries to come back, the magical string of words is “Kick her to the curb”.