Your Blackberry Isn't Working

WNBC is reporting a major Blackberry outage that affects 100% of the Blackberries in the US.

Your email is not being pushed through to your device as of about 8pm tonight. Might want to make some other plans. No word on when the outage will end. —MEGHANN MARCO

UPDATE: According to WNBC the outage is sort of over.

Officials with RIM said they tried to reset the system and they were concerned that the backlog of data, which could cause a bigger problem as it rushes through now that the system appears to be online.

RIM officials said messages would be sent out in stages so the system does not crash.

RIM officials recommend all who depend on their BlackBerry as a major way of communication should make some back-up plans in case more problems occur Wednesday morning.

Massive Blackberry Outage [WNBC]

Comments

1. Falconfire says:

bwahahahahahahaha

Im so waiting for the number of Crackberry related deaths to come in.

2. Spider Jerusalem says:

Does this have to do with the blackberry lawsuit, or is this about updating the networks?

3. Rajio says:

oh the humanity

4. NeoteriX says:

There went the entire legal profession.

5. VA_White says:

OMFG! Did you feel that?

The world just stopped spinning.

Oh, wait. No, it didn’t.

6. 44 in a Row says:

I knew it couldn’t really be that quiet at the office. Crap. To Citrix I go.

7. mendel says:

If only the web had some way of linking to the WNBC report you mentioned

8. mantari says:

Need updates!
    [F5] [F5] [F5] [F5] [F5] [F5] [F5]

9. multani787 says:

has been liveblogging this story before WNBC picked it up.

10. mendel says:

(Incidentally, while that report says it’s affecting the “western hemisphere” since 8 pm, I’ve received a message on my Rogers ‘berry as late as 11:10, although a test message I just sent to myself now hasn’t arrived yet.)

11. 44 in a Row says:

I just checked my work email through Citrix, and found the following message:

“Blackberry/RIM is experiencing a total service wide outage at this time. The problem lies with RIM networks and they are working hard to resolve the problem. This is affecting ALL blackberry/rim device users nationwide. RIM cannot give us an estimated time of resolution at the moment but they will notify all parties when service has been restored.”

This? Is bad. Not so much because Blackberries aren’t working (realistically, most of us will live), but because this is the sort of thing that should not happen under any circumstances. RIM should have redundancies for their redudancies for their redundancies. I can’t even begin to imagine how a systemwide crash like this happens.

12. doomsdayZen says:

It’s as if millions of corporate slags cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

13. Falconfire says:

@44 in a Row: Dont work in IT huh. I have seen a system and 4 yes 4 backups crash at once, despite every precaution to keep it from happening.

You can plan for the absolute worse, and still something will happen to take out the one thing you didnt think of. Worse it could not even be your fault. Once we had half our network go down, everyone called and blamed us despite us not being able to track down one problem anywhere on the network that could have caused it.

What did? Verizon who had a line go down and never told us.

Shit like this happens far more than you would ever be aware.

14. cynu414 says:

I got an email on my BB at 9:43pm pacific. No problem.

15. DaveInTheCorn says:

I’M FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For a little while at least…

16. rich815 says:

This is funny. Just before leaving work tonight I called our tech dept to help on a sync issue I was having with my Blackberry to my work Outlook calendar. We successfully fixed it. But when I got home I saw my email and Gmail connection on the BB was not working. I figured when I fixed the Outlook calendar issue I must have messed something else up….until I saw this.

I think I’m the only person to be relieved and happy it’s a nationwide RIM issue!

17. Dag says:

Why does RIM have anything to do with data transfer to and from Blackberry devices? I thought data simply traveled over the carrier’s network. How come Blackberry data has to go through RIM?

18. hobnob says:

@Dag
    just the way the system works.. all email goes thru RIM’s net

wacky huh

19. BillyShears says:

People should be celebrating that their leashes to work have been severed, at least temporarily. I’m stll amazed that so many are so willing to be on during non-business hours.

20. hals000 says:

Living in Tacoma, WA, I have been having serious issues accessing (both sending and receiving) my email all day on my Blackberry. It has caused me a major headache. Now I am going to have about 50 emails go through when service resumes that will be redundant as I did the unthinkable and actually went to a computer to conduct my email business.

21. HawkWolf says:

An endless stream of people contact our company asking for us to port our PDA software to blackberry, saying it’s the wave of the future (the wave of the future! the wave of the future! it’s the wave of the future!) and that we’d be fools not to support them.

Obviously, it’s not all roses in the land of “we just switched 10,000 employees from Palm devices to Blackberry”.

22. shoegazer says:

Wow this is the funniest outage I’ve ever experienced. I’m almost giddy with glee. I..

*BEEP

Aw crap. Mine’s working.

23. tadiera says:

Amusingly enough, the GSM department here where I work (phone company) hasn’t received a ton of calls about it. They have a message up when people call in and apparently, it’s working.

If only those messages worked so well on our side (DSL). We can have an ambush up informing people that DNS is out and no one can surf, yet hundreds of calls of “Does that affect me?” still come through.

24. techgeekwill says:

Crazy, well, I’m still getting email on my Samsung Blackjack. I guess WinMo now gets on the scoreboard.

RIM- 1,000,000
    M$ – 1

25. hop says:

i don’t have or need one, so i don’t give a crap………..

26. They just switched our ISP here at work, and we’ve been having annoying troubles since Monday. It’s amazing how reliant we’ve become on this technology — and I’m not even a businessman, I’m a teacher! E-mails bounced back or not sent; addresses added to blacklists; wireless networks crashing left and right; Filemaker hiccups…It’s enough to make me want to take a sick day!

27. @Falconfire: We had a phone line go down 180 miles away and it knocked out phone access for the entire city for more than four hours. No credit card transactions could be run!

28. davere says:

Ben, I think the links to other related stories about a company or product are helpful. But in this case, a link to the actual story would have been nice as well.

Ok. Thanks. Kisses!

29. Meg Marco says:

At the time this story was posted, the link was not yet live on WNBC’s site. Thanks.

30. John Stracke says:

I’ve noticed many posts here lately that don’t link to the original story. That makes it a lot harder to trust what you write, since we can’t double-check your interpretation. Please stop posting without linking to your sources.

31. m. mangosteen says:

@John Stracke: How hard is it for you to google it yourself? I did that and there are tons of stories about it.

32. muddgirl says:

I got an email from someone “via Blackberry” at 12:30 AM last night…

…hopefully, he’ll be out of contact all morning!

33. cindel says:

Text message works fine but couldn’t get online and still can’t.

34. MamaJ says:

Email messages go through the network at RIM to provide the 3DES encryption everyone loves. While we use Domino and have that level of encryption enabled not everyone uses it. RIM’s 3DES encryption is enabled on all messages regardless. So yes, it is extra overhead to send all messages through RIM’s network but is it worth it? For one less security piece for me to consider? Definitely.

Oh, and regarding the outage… Having been in IT for over a dozen years, I can guarantee that whatever it is that caused a 12+ hour outage will NEVER occur again as they will do everything in their power to prevent it. Of course, if you make something foolproof, the world will make a bigger fool so their fixing this problem doesn’t necessarily prevent any future issues.

35. ElizabethD says:

I am a proud NON-owner of a Blackberry. I can’t imagine being tethered to my job 24/7. Bad enough with regular email…

36. exoxe says:

What’s a Blackberry?

37. FLConsumer says:

@ElizabethD: I envy you… seriously. I’ve never had a job where I wasn’t on-call 24/7 for one thing or another.

38. AcilletaM says:

@ElizabethD: I’m with FLConsumer, I’ve always been on call. I have ghost vibrations from where I always had my pager for years and now I think I hear my BB go off when it isn’t. I’m considering applying for disability because of it

39. royal72 says:

it’s a conspiracy i tell you, a conspiracy!!! about what i have no idea.

40. pestie says:

See? See?? Two perfect excuses for a “haha” tag in one day!

41. engunneer says:

I have a blackberry and am not tethered to work. At 5 oclock, I *gasp* turn it off! Then in the morning, I have a meeting reminder set that automatically turns it back on again.

Anyway, turning it off is good for the environment – you don’t have to charge it as often.

It’s not that hard folks…