Turbo Tax's Servers Down?

Reader Derek reports he can’t e-file taxes because Turbo Tax’s servers are down. Not sure if others are experiencing this, but he could still file by printing out his return and rushing to a local post office. There may indeed be one nearby open until midnight. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. d0x says:

Why wait till the last possible moment? My taxes were done and filed the day i got my W2’s

2. unwritten07 says:

How’s it going, Derek? – not lol

3. ptkdude says:

Makes me glad I filed my taxes at the end of January (and via Taxcut’s website, they were 1/3rd the cost of turbotax.com)

4. MissPinkKate says:

Not surprising. Good reason to not wait until the last moment.

5. andyfowler says:

Well, gee, I guess my helpful comment will be stuck in some sort of queue until I become “registered” but I’ll go for it anyway.

I started trying to submit my Federal e-file via TurboTax around 10:40 EDT tonight (April 17). After trying every 5 minutes, it finally went through at 11:45 EDT. Don’t give up, Derek!

I consider myself a stronger human being for having made it. The only problem is that I used to enjoy the camaraderie of the late-night April 15 post office run. It’s an experience of its own — local TV cameras, coffee, donuts and high-fives with complete strangers.

6. Indecision says:

Man, I felt bad for only getting my taxes done last week. As much as they should have been prepared for the load on their servers, anyone who waits until the last possible moment is really just asking for trouble.

7. OwenCatherwood says:

Late filers swamp TurboTax e-file system

SAN FRANCISCO – A flood of last-minute tax filers swamped the servers of the company that makes the popular TurboTax and ProSeries tax software Tuesday, forcing taxpayers to wait hours for confirmation that their electronic returns had been submitted successfully.

A record number of returns from both individual taxpayers and accountants started causing delays in Intuit Inc.’s e-filing system early Tuesday, and the problem got worse as the midnight deadline for getting forms to the
    Internal Revenue Service approached, said Harry Pforzheimer, a company spokesman.

“The amount of filing that has been done today has been absolutely amazing, and we are doing everything we possibly can to expand capabilities of servers,” Pforzheimer said. During times of peak of demand, Intuit was processing 50 to 60 returns per second, he said.

The Mountain View-based company contacted the IRS to alert the agency to the backlog, Pforzheimer said. While stopping short of promising that filers whose returns fail to reach the government before the deadline would not be penalized, he said, “it’s fair to say the IRS understands what the situation is” and would have a statement about the situation Wednesday.

linky

8. infinitysnake says:

Morons. They knew the entire time how many customers were in the system, did they just figure they’d all file late?

I filed a few days ago, got all the way to the confirmation, and when I logged on to check my ‘status,’ they tell me I haven’t filed yet, so I had to do the whole process over again. (!?)

9. MarcAnthony says:

I am still waiting on my e-file confirmation. I admit to procrastination…and I did wait until about 2:00p.m. to start filing, and finshed by 3:30…have not received anything from IRS or Turbo tax stating problems…don’t they think notifying filers would be a good idea!!!

10. pestie says:

This is why Consumerist needs user tagging like Slashdot. I really want the ability to tag stories “haha” like I do there all the time.