Clearance Items

Using Google as a Proxy (or HOW TO: View MySpace at School) [Hackzine]
This would normally be the preferred way of doing things, but occasionally you’ll find yourself on a work or school connection that disallows you from connecting to certain web sites. In these scenarios, what you need is a proxy

Foreclosure pace nears decade high [LA Times]
The state’s increase could soon pull down home prices and even bring a recession, some economists say.

[via Kottke]
$21.19 for WATER – and the buyers don’t even know the source. No wonder Evian spelled backwards is Naive.”

Budget of the United States Government: Historical Tables Fiscal Year 2008 [US Government]
This document is composed of 17 sections, each of which has one or more tables. Each section covers a common theme.

(Photo:Chrisi1024)

Comments

1. crankymediaguy says:

“Compared with Snapple, whiteout, and Pepto Bismol ($123.20/gallon), gasoline is surprisingly inexpensive.”

Uh huh, and pastrami is cheaper than plutonium. So what?

2. ReverseCarpetbagging says:

Ouch…it always hurts when you go to read the article about Google as a proxy and it’s blocked by your filter because of the word “hacking.” Any chance they’d give you permission to put it up here?

3. Youthier says:

@crankymediaguy: Seriously… I can live without Snapple, whiteout, and Pepto but in my public transit free town, can’t live without gasoline.

4. Charybdis says:

I like this Google Proxy thing, it beats using cached pages. Unfortunately it doesn’t work for pages you have to log into, such as email. But that’s what my phone is for.

Hey Cranky.

5. Steve_Holt says:

Re: Google Proxy,

An even easier way (for me at least) which does allow you to login to websites, is to open up the command prompt – Start>Run>cmd, and then type [ping http://www.website.com. This will … and you’re good to go. This gets around most of the smart filters I’ve come across.

Let me know if anyone has success.

6. Steve_Holt says:

Why was my message truncated? It should have read:

This will…

return the IP address of the website. Then just pop that into your browser window, i.e. http://111.11.111.1

….and you’re good to go.

7. pestie says:

@Steve_Holt: That won’t work for any site that’s on a hosting provider that uses name-based virtual hosting. In that case, the web server is acting like a sort of central switchboard and needs to know what site you’re asking for, as there are many sites at a single IP.