Recall: There's Botulism In the Olives

The FDA has issued an “urgent” warning about several brands of imported olives that are contaminated with botulism. From the FDA:

The olives are sold under the following brands: Borrelli, Bonta di Puglia, Cento, Corrado’s, Dal Raccolto, Flora, Roland and Vantia, and have codes that start with the letter “G” and are followed by 3 or 4 digits. All sizes of cans, glass jars and pouches of Cerignola, Nocerella and Castelvetrano type olives are affected.

Symptoms of botulism include general weakness, dizziness, double vision, trouble with speaking or swallowing, difficulty in breathing, weakness of other muscles, abdominal distension and constipation. People experiencing these symptoms should seek immediate medical attention. Consumers may also report illnesses associated with consumption of these olives to the nearest FDA district offices.

The olives should not be eaten alone or in other foods, even if they do not appear to be spoiled. Consumers should discard these products or return them to the point of purchase.

No far no illnesses have been reported in connection with the olives. The FDA is stressing that restaurants may be using these olives, so if you work in a restaurant why not do yourself a favor and check to make sure you’re not feeding botulism to innocent people via the salad bar. The FDA thanks you. —MEGHANN MARCO

FDA Urgently Warns Consumers about Health Risks of Potentially Contaminated Olives [FDA]
(Photo: iwantamonkey)

Comments

1. A.Twafeletta says:

Yeah, I know! It’s kinda like how I had to use my credit card to buy food for my family and stuff because well, housing cost doubled, my income was stagnant and I was one minor emergency away from the pavement. Yep. Now that was funny!

You should see all those fabulous hand-me-downs that I can’t afford that decorate my overpriced wreck of a house!

Really, the skit is funny. I am now a little more financially secure but unless you’ve been there (in debt up to your eyeballs for necessities because food, electricity and gas to go to work are required) it’s hard not to feel a little victimized.

And yeah, don’t buy stuff if you can afford.

2. A.Twafeletta says:

oh man, I finally get commenter privileges and I post to the wrong spot.

Please don’t hurt me…

Oh, and botulism is really bad.

3. FunPaul says:

I really really hope that Walmart doesn’t sell these.

4. Ideapimp says:

Hey, some women are paying good money to inject that stuff into their face.

Why not just relabel the olives as “age-defying orbs of pleasure” and package them together with a syringe?

I fail to see the problem.

5. kimdog says:

Holy Crap! Olives are my favorite food in the world, and I am fairly certain that the jar I polished off this weekend was Cento. I don’t seem to have any of those symptoms, so I guess mine were botulism free. Ima gonna need to print this list and keep it on hand (or use this as an excuse to splurge on the olive bar at Zabar’s).

6. Keep talking...I'm listening says:

Not to be alarmist, but a heads up to everyone…Botulism ingested is bad news. Bad, bad news. As in, if you wait until you feel really sick before you go to the hospital, your survival rate is very slim.

Anyone with these olives should not open the packages, especially if there is bulging (explosion risk as well as contamination risk of other food in your kitchen), and I would go as far as to put them in a separate garbage bag, tightly seal it and take it to the curb. Forget returning them.

–Chris

7. jaredharley says:

Good thing I don’t eat olives, then. Nastly little buggers

8. jaredharley says:

Damnit – “nasty”

9. homerjay says:

First spinach now olives. And people make fun of ME for eating Ring Dings for dinner!! Who’s laughing NOW?

10. kerry says:

@caholla: Wouldn’t there be some concern about folks who dig through trash for food finding the olives and consuming them? I figured that’s why the return process was in place for these types of recalls.

11. royal72 says:

good thing i prefer a twist with my martinis!

12. @Ideapimp: “Sweet Jesus my anus is bleeding” (due to botchulisic olives?)

13. SpyMaster says:

Had a bunch of those olives last night…thought they tasted kinda funny…now I’m not feeling so g….

14. ShadeWalker says:

so wait, i’m not supposed to roll around in them naked?

15. Keep talking...I'm listening says:

@kerry:

Totally understandable…I would say if your can or jar or pouch of olives is not bulging, wrap it up and return to the store. It’s in its early stages.

If it’s bulging, the less movement you have the better. Handle with care and get it out of your house. Metal cans tend to only explode when dropped or an attempt is made to open them. Jars and plastic pouches are more vulnerable to shattering/bursting with excess movement.

16. TinaB says:

@homerjay:

By the way I poisoned a bunch of Ring Dings with rat poison since I had to work the bakery section and usually work deli. My bad!

17. AcidReign says:

…..This blog knows how to get me to jump up out of my chair and run to the kitchen! Luckily, we’re too cheap to buy the affected brands. We had Mario Kalamata olives in the fridge! Of course, I did just have to taste-test one to make sure it was safe… Mmmmmm!

18. cindel says:

Come on Walmart!

19. asherchang says:

Wow… the person who added the arrows to this photo must have been really anal about effeciency of space.

20. homerjay says:

@TinaB: “Silly customer! You can not hurt a Twinkee!”