IKEA's Delivery System Still Broken

We like IKEA on a personal level. Sadly, IKEA has a serious problem with their delivery system. We’ve written about it before and now it’s found its way into Forbes of all places:

I had originally asked the IKEA in Paramus, N.J., to deliver my kitchen cabinets on a Saturday. I later found out that my Manhattan co-op building prohibited large deliveries on the weekend, so when the truck arrived on the designated day, the crew couldn’t unload their cargo. IKEA billed me for the delivery. Totally fair–I goofed.

That’s when I slipped off IKEA’s radar. After checking with my contractor’s schedule, I called the store and asked them to deliver my cabinets about a week later, on a Tuesday. No problem, they said.

Tuesday came and went. No delivery was made.

Louis, the reporter, eventually waited 10 days and two missed delivery dates for his new kitchen cabinets.

This is our favorite part of his story:

A customer-service representative said she’d check and put me on hold.

After 10 minutes, I hung up and tried to reach another customer service rep. This time I demanded to be transferred to the home delivery department. The rep refused, insisting that, “I’m trained to assist you with your problem.” The unintentional hilarity of her comment eased the tension, so I took a deep breath and explained my situation to her. But she, too, put me on hold.

Another several minutes went by before I hung up and gave it another shot. This time I managed to snag a customer-service supervisor. Through gritted teeth, I recounted my delivery woes yet again. She looked up my order and found no record of the Monday delivery request. I choked the handset.

“I choked the handset,” too late for Consumerist T-Shirt entries?

The IKEA representative said that IKEA is “always looking at our systems to see what’s working and what’s not working,” Liss says. “If it’s not working, it’s certainly our responsibility to make it work. It’s our goal to not only meet but exceed our customers’ expectations.” She asked consumers to call 1-800-434-IKEA and tell them how they’re doing. —MEGHANN MARCO

Waiting (And Waiting) For IKEA [Forbes]

(Photo: Ben Popken)

RELATED: IKEA’s Inventory System Has Problems
IKEA Won’t Sell “In-Stock” Mattress Because It Requires The Forklift?

Comments

1. pestie says:

“Ikea! Swedish for crap!”

There, I said it so no one else has to. I really don’t know the first thing about Ikea. I’ve never lived near one of their stores. I think I saw one from the highway in Toronto once, but that’s about it.

2. royal72 says:

“If it’s not working, it’s certainly our responsibility to make it work. It’s our goal to not only meet but exceed our customers’ expectations. She asked consumers to call 1-800-434-IKEA and tell them how they’re doing.”

bullshit… i have a better idea. since we purchase your damn product, how about you have someone who actually gives a shit within your own company, test the system for you. as you say it is your responsibility (see your own words) to make it work.

am i the only one who is sick and tired of prefabricated apologies and nothing to actually make things better?

3. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Hey, I used to work at that location! I helped set the whole place up for opening day. Anyway…I could totally see this happening.

I don’t know if any of this has changed, but all the kitchen cabients and such are stocked at the Elizabeth NJ location. At that location, they also have (had?) lower state tax than Pramaus (6% vs aprox 3%). The Paramus Ikea, on the other hand, had people there to sit with you for hours at a time and plan your kitchen. Often people would do all the planning, then just take all the info and make the actual purchase at the Elizabeth location to save money (screwing the Paramus location). Dunno if any NY/NJ Ikea shoppers might find that info of use.

4. Doug says:

I feel bad about this. I’ve ordered at least a half-dozen times from Ikea (which is definitely furniture for college kids and divorced men*) and have never had a problem. Then again, in Canada they’ve done all my deliveries through the postal service instead sending out delivery trucks.

*via: Jonathan Coulton – Ikea

5. mopar_man says:

I’ve never had any problems buying their stuff in store and taking it home with me. That shouldn’t matter though. If they had good customer service, any missing parts would be replaced and missed deliveries would be scheduled properly. While I don’t mind buying smaller, cheap stuff there, I’ll definitely look elsewhere for stuff like counter tops, couches and the like.

6. coconino says:

Ikea is the savor for many people who refuse to pay overpriced furnitures! One bad apple doesn’t signify it sucks in the rest of the stores. go ikea!

7. blitzcat says:

Out of 2 online orders, they fuxored both. If you can’t drive to the store, you can’t get it.

8. Ikea-victim says:

Defenately I was the first and the last time that I use Ikea’s delivery service.
    Guys, NEVER order a delivery from Ikea!!! Worst servise ever!!!

9. Kinnakeet says:

Sigh. If only I had read this before I bought all this stuff from IKEA. Well, here’s my saga: We bought a large refrigerator, a wardrobe and a dresser from IKEA. They said they could deliver on Monday and would call Sunday with their ETA. At 5PM on Sunday, we still hadn’t heard so I called IKEA. They had no record of the oder even though we provided an order #. Then they said it could take 4-7 days to deliver and it was up to the delivery service when they would deliver. I kept telling her we were told March 3 and the paperwork from IKEA showed 3/3. We werent’ getting anywhere. Around 6PM, the delivery service called and said they’d be here on 3/3 between 11 & 3.

The delivery service called when they were half an hour away. They delivered items to the first floor and left the fridge in the lobby. We told them the fridge was supposed to go to the 2nd floor. They said they don’t do that. We showed them the paperwork from IKEA which specified “Fridge to 2nd floor.” They said they don’t do that and they could take the fridge back or leave the fridge in our lobby. We asked them to leave it and we would try to figure something out. This is an apartment building with five units and the delivery company, Brookline Transportation (MA) left an enormous fridge in our lobby!

Several calls to the delivery service and IKEA resulted in MANY apologies and an offer to refund us HALF our delivery fee, but they couldn’t do anything until tomorrow.

So all the food that I removed from our old fridge and freezer is sitting out on the counters getting warm and melty. Now I have to put our old fridge back together so I can put all the food back.

IF the delivery guys come tomorrow, I’ll have to take all the food out again.

What should have been a fun day with new furniture and a new fridge turned into a aggravating and frustrating day with many long-distance phone calls to resolve a problem that seems to be rampant with IKEA!

I just hope there isn’t a second installment of the IKEA delivery saga.

10. Roberto Martinez Neira says:

I am currently living in Brussels Belgium. I bought all my furniture from IKEA. They were supposed to deliver and to assemble on Monday 6th july 2009. They came but they brought the wrong lift, too small to reach our appartment, despite I having stressed the need for a big lift and paid for it (120 Euros). I got to talk to somenone on the drivers phone, after discussing she agreed on looking into the problem and to call me back later on. Still I am waiting the call, have sent emails. I am going to the shop today to see if I can solve something with my broken French. Wife is 7 months pregnant living without any furniture for three days already. I wish I had read this page before.
    Paradox of the story, “if you can not carry it with you do not buy at IKEA”.
    Furniture might be acceptable but logistics seems to be non of their business.