American Airlines "African American" Site is "Coming Soon!!!"

Reader B sends us the following link:
AA.com/AfricanAmerican

It reads, “Coming Soon!!!”

PREVIOUSLY: American Airlines Eliminates Enfeebled “Women’s” Search, Now Directs Women To Powerful Man Search – LGBT Search Remains The Same

American Airlines Alters Adorable Pink “Women’s” Search Box

American Airlines Launches Weird, Lame Website “For Women”

Comments

1. acambras says:

So I suppose if you’re a gay African-American woman, you’re all set at aa.com.

2. Watcher95 says:

Well there is also a AA.com site coming soon for Consumerists also!

And one for Smurfs

And even Nappy Ho’s

3. Ben Popken says:

@watcher95: No.

Note how all of those URLs have “africanamerican” in them? All your links are still referring to the upcoming African American AA site.

4. homerjay says:

I was hoping to get the nappy headed ho joke in…. Oh well.

5. timmus says:

This is clearly discriminatory against African Canadians, many of whom are probably planning vacations in the U.S.

6. velocipenguin says:

They just don’t learn, do they?

7. IC18 says:

I guess Imus can look for a new job as AA.

8. Wormfather says:

As an african american, I say it’s about god damned time! I want my site to have broken english “where you be goin, bitch!?” Nappy headed hoes as flight attendants.

F*ck it, this joke isnt going anywhere.

In other news, my mom is going to be happy that we’re allowed to fly in the whites only section now.

9. rg says:

This reminds me of a site I used to know of. You could go to the site, insert a URL into a box, select a language, (i.e. ebonics, southern, yankee, etc.) and hit translate. It would then show you that site with all the wording translated. It was hilarious! I guess that’s what they’ll do with the AA site, put it in ebonics and offer a welfare discount.

10. mantari says:

Hispanic? Yeah, they get the crappy search too.

11. Jayus says:

I love that the Hispanic page opens with “Hola!” I guess a Hispanic person is supposed to see this and say “Oh, ‘hola!’ I can relate.”

12. arcticJKL says:

Are they saying all Hispanics are feminine?

timmus,
    Very funny

13. homerjay says:

@Jayus: Whats more ridiculous than AA opening the hispanic page with ‘Hola!” is that they break right back into English after that as if to say “You people are only worth the effort involved in translating the one word we already knew in Spanish. “

14. Trai_Dep says:

PUHlease, let the page open with the Superfly theme.

That is all.

15. LAGirl says:

i think it’s safe to say that AA has officially ‘jumped the shark’ when it comes to political correctness.

16. acambras says:

@homerjay:

Exactly — I was thinking the same thing.

Or as AA.com might put it:

Exactamente! I was thinking the same thing.”

17. OwenCatherwood says:

@rg: That would be the Dialectizer

18. Citron says:

. . . “!!!” ?

Is a thirteen-year-old running their site design? Please tell me a thirteen-year-old is running their site design.

And if what I’ve learned in linguistic anthropology is correct, that should say, “comin soon!” plus or minus a few “!1one”s.

19. Youngman says:

Has anyone at AA figured out that this racial/ethnic/gender/sexuality profiling crap is dumb and insensitive?

I understand the desire to appear PC to the general public, but it has gotten out of hand, and it makes them look very ignorant.

20. badhatharry says:

I’m just waiting for the Jewish page. You can only order the kosher meal, and no flights to Egypt.

And instead of a button that says “click here to find the lowest price” or something to that effect, there is one that says “Jew ‘em down!”

21. 302079 says:

Someone needs to tell AA that buying tickets is not a preocess that demands catering to diversity. If you don’t intend to segregate the flights, there is no reason to segregate the website.

Oh, wait. Maybe they intend to segregate the flights. This would definitely be the way to do it. Only let each page acess certain flights, so that everyone at the GLBT (which still sounds like a sandwich to me) site get’s one set of flights, everyone at the African American site gets a different set of flights. That would be hilarous in an “oh god what the hell is wrong with the world?” kind of way.

22. Elviswasntmyhero says:

Quick! Somebody raise the Bat Signal and alert Al Sharpton.

23. poornotignorant says:

@rg: I guess the Imus uproar went right over your head. It’s not funny or true to associate african americans with welfare. More whites are on welfare than blacks, and I wonder if the percentage of blacks on welfare to blacks not on welfare isn’t worse than whites.