Recall: Listerine Agent Cool Blue

Johnson & Johnson recalled all bottles of Listerine Agent Cool Blue after tests revealed contamination by microorganisms.

In their press release, they phrase it a little differently, saying, “the Company determined that the preservative system is not adequate against certain microorganisms.”

No consumer illnesses were reported, the company said, and risk was only there for people with weak immune systems.

J&J marketed Agent Cool Blue to kids and the rinse makes plaque show up blue on your teeth in an attempt to encourage better brushing. Though, if we were kids, we’d be all like, wow, let’s see how blue I can make my teeth. — BEN POPKEN

Contamination Cited in Listerine Recall [AP]

Comments

1. FreakyStyley says:

“Though, if we were kids, we’d be all like, wow, let’s see how blue I can make my teeth”

Let’s be honest, we’d still do that. Anyway, my dentist used to give me these tablets that you had to chew on in order to turn the plaque pink. It sucked. Kids these days are lazy.

2. homerjay says:

See? if they’d have just left the alcohol in there, this wouldn’t be a problem….

3. JDAC says:

In other news, Listerine regret decision to enter British market. Said a source: “What were we thinking?”

Full disclosure: I’m English, so it’s the law that I can say this without other brits getting all prissy, like we do :)

4. Red_Eye says:

Doh foiled again, sent this right as it posted!

My kid used this stuff for a while, fortunately not in the last few weeks.

5. mopar_man says:

@homerjay:

That’s what I was thinking.

6. He says:

I got this stuff just cause it was cool. Only used it a few times, but it was awesome. I didn’t get sick or anything though.

7. tadowguy says:

Any micro-organism that can survive in mouthwash is probably going to kill you

8. Jayus says:

Okay, good to hear that there’s a recall.

Now how long will it be before Wal-Mart gets the memo?

9. mopar_man says:

@tadowguy:

This is kid’s mouthwash.

10. castlecraver says:

risk was only there for people with weak immune systems

Uhh.. like… children?

11. FLConsumer says:

Joseph Lister is probably rolling in his grave right around now…

12. Shutterman says:

A Listerine product with microbes?

“Children, this is called irony.”

13. royal72 says:

@castlecraver: exactly my thought.

14. SirKeats says:

Glad I use the traditional listerine. Nothing can possibly survive in that stuff… hell, it kills not only the germs in my mouth, but the actual skin cells in there as well! LOL

15. lilmiscantberong says:

I bought this for my daughter about three weeks ago, last week she got a horrible UTI along with a temperature of 104.

Is this they type of illness they are talking about here?

16. MaliBoo Radley says:

@lilmiscantberong:

How on earth did your daughter get a UTI from a mouthwash? You’re obviously using mouthwashe really, really wrong.

It’s more likely yout daughter got the UTI and fever from bubble bath.

17. roamer1 says:

@FreakyStyley: I thought I was the only one who remembers those tablets…

Obviously the Cool Blue stuff doesn’t contain the same core ingredients as “adult” Listerine, which will kill almost anything on contact!

18. emilayohead says:

I missed the peanut butter scandal, no pets so out of luck on the pet food, FINALLY I get my turn at potentially injuring a loved one with a consumer product! Does it help that I bought this at Wal-Mart?

19. SOhp101 says:

Just to clear things up here, the Agent Cool Blue does NOT contain any types of alcohol and is NOT meant to work like regular Listerine. It’s okay purpose is to dye the plaque so you, or your kid, will know where to brush to get rid of all the plaque.

20. SOhp101 says:

hmm, correction: *okay = only

21. GitEmSteveDave says:

OK, seriously. I find out a day after I finish off two jars of Peter Pan that there was a recall, and my jars were included.

NOW, the rinse I bought specifically for the fact that it made me want to brush my teeth, ala the ol’ pink tabs may be getting me sick. Next product I use that gets recalled is getting sued.

22. ShadeWalker says:

so wait, i wasn’t supposed to drink it?

23. FreakyStyley says:

@ShadeWalker: No. In fact, playing quarters with it was a terrible idea.

24. FLConsumer says:

Does anyone know which microbe(s) were found in the product? I keep trying to call J&J but their @#$#@ phone system actually answers, THEN transfers me to a busy signal, so my PBX’s busy number redial won’t work.

25. FLConsumer says:

I forgot to mention in the last post, but I’ve tried getting ahold of the various recalled products as of late and testing them in the lab, but so far everything we’ve tested has come up clean!

26. acambras says:

I hope they work it out. It’s a neat idea — I’m an adult and I’d use it. Especially because it’s got to taste better than those pink disclosure tablets they used to give out at the dentist’s office — those things tasted awful!

27. GitEmSteveDave says:

@acambras: Actually, I really enjoy the taste of the Glacier Mint, and wished they could make it an adults flavor. I think the people who grew up in the late 70’s and on are used to more sweet flavors than the older people who were around when medicine tasted like medicine.

28. Citron says:

Yeek! My boyfriend’s niece uses this stuff all the time, so we called her sister today to make sure she threw it away.

Poor little girl won’t be to happy about it, though. She doesn’t care about microbes. She just likes having blue teeth.

29. YlimE08 says:

I work in a distribution center for a retail chain (no, not Wal-Mart). We have had to throw away TONS of this stuff due to the bottles leaking. That’s probably where the problem lies, it’s not the product itself, but the fact that the bottles aren’t sealed properly and God knows what can get in there.

30. lil_momma1978 says:

THIS IS TO lilmiscantberong’s POST— my son during his usage of this product had gone through strange sickness too. He kept complaining it was hard for him to pee and each time he got sick with a cold or such, he would run an extremely high fever and I would not be able to break the fever for at least 3 to 4 days. The doctor never had anything more to say than it was just something that would pass and to keep giving him Tylenol (because he wasn’t exhibiting any other symptoms) I just found it strange that you went through something like that also, because after he stopped using it regularly, (which thankfully was about 3 months ago, because he said he didn’t like it anymore–smart kid) he stopped having the problems with his fevers. As a matter of fact we just got over a cold from last week of which there was not even a low grade fever involved. I wonder if it was linked and how many other children it affected. Has anyone else had this problem?

31. infection-x says:

My daughter used this stuff she got a temperature of 104 and had a horrible infection
    that caused pnemonia, pleural effusions, a collapsed lung and several other complications. She was hospitalized for 36 days. Per Listerine, the contaminated microorgamisms were pseudomonas fluorescens, klebsiella oxytoca, serratia marcescens and enterobacter cloacae.

At this time, there is no direct connection but I’m still researching it.

Any additional information would be helpful.

32. SweetT says:

My daugther loved this product too. Unfortunately she was just diagnosed with scarlet fever. (strep throat with a terrible rash) I am concerned if the cool blue agent had anything to do with it.

33. Laetitia Jones says:

Wow, I initially came into this discussion to compliment Listerine for the new adult “Vanilla Mint” flavored mouthwash 1 Liter bottle that I purchased for only $3.50 AND got a bonus FREE 8oz manufacturer gift sized bottle stuck to it to boot…It really is an improvement as far as taste goes, the “Vanilla White” was nasty as hell…Well, gosh, now I’m leery and just a little scared after reading about the recall…I know it was for the kid stuff, but, hey,if a Major Multikabillion Dollar company can make such a gross negligent error in integrity with a product FOR KIDS…who’s to say they can’t jack up their traditional adult product as well? OK, so, um…I’m kinda scared, now…Why was the product so cheap?
    Everything that glitters isn’t gold, dayam, I thought I has purchased a goldmine bargain…I’m an RN, I am very familiar with the mechanism of micro-organism/disease process via cross contamination…hmmm…OK…so, uh…why should I be paranoid now? …{eek!} “Listerine! Heeeelp! Am I safe??? Can I STILL trust You???? What Say You?” (((“ahahahahhahah”)))