Great Moments In Commercial History: Mr. Appliance

UPDATE: The original Mr. Appliance ad we wrote about seems to have vanished from YouTube, so the sequel, “Mission Appliance II” is now posted above. Also, there is a whole collection of Mr. Appliance ads here.

————————-
Reader Tyler says, ” Mr. Appliance in Eugene, Oregon is just plain sad.” We don’t know about that Tyler. He looks happy to us. We are concerned about his technique of banging on the tops of refrigerators, though.

The most important lesson to learn from Mr. Appliance is that putting on and taking off sunglasses is an effective way to punctuate a sentence. Wahh!

If you’d like to nominate a commercial for our weekly series “Great Moments In Commercial History” send us an email at tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Be sure to put “Great Moments In Commercial History” in the subject. To see other commercials that have been featured in the series, click here.—MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. OregonTransplant says:

I’m an avid Consumerist reader but never found a post I could comment on with personal experience until now. I attended college in Eugene, and this was definitely one of the highlights (lowlights?) of living there for four years. The funniest thing is the guy is just as nuts in person when you go to his store as he is in the commercials. I don’t know how Mr. Appliance stacks up to the crazy dude who rents guns for $10, but definitely worthy of mention. Top notch work, Consumerist!

2. SimonGodOfHairdos says:

Well, now we know from whom Horatio Caine took acting lessons!

3. RDAC says:

Ok, I used to work for Mr. Appliance Corporation, and I’m pretty sure this was NOT one of our franchisees (checked using the location finder just to make sure). If you look on MAC’s website, they actually have some really great commercials – even won a few telly awards for them.

I imagine they’ll have a really good webtrends day, though…

4. Skylar says:

You know why people make commercials like these?

Because I bet it gets pretty damn boring in an appliance store.

5. faust1200 says:

In the immortal words of Rick James “Cocaine is a helluva drug.”

6. OwenCatherwood says:

I was wondering how long it would be before a Mr. Appliance ad was on here.

7. William Mize says:

I really wanted to find some Tom Stimus commercials to share with the Consumerist world.

Here in Tampa Bay, in the 70′s, that guy banged on the hood of more conversion vans and screamed into the camera more than anyone I can think of. He had Dusty Rhodes “The American Dream”, he had his own speedway, he tried to put a hit on out Moammar Qaddafi.

True Florida nut job.

8. jitrobug says:

My favorite thing about Mr Appliance is seeing his signed photo in local restaurants, you know, cuz he’s a celebrity.

9. adamondi says:

I am especially perplexed by the noises his hammers were making when he was banging them on the tops of the appliances. Why would a hammer sound like an air wrench, exactly?

10. WNW says:

Woo-Hoo! Eugene!

There IS no appliance like Mr. Appliance.

Got a fridge there several years back.

Just so you’re aware this is not the worst or most annoying local ad run here.

11. mechanismatic says:

Yeah, Mr Appliance commercials are annoying and stupid, but I think the Keifer Kia commercials here in Eugene are worse. Well, all the car dealership commercials are stupid in the Willamette Valley, but especially Keifer Kia. When you have people singing out of key like on the first episode of a season of American Idol on your homemade commercials, you should hire someone to script your ads for you.

12. WNW says:

@mechanismatic:

You have read my mind sir!