Costco Caught Selling Fake Conor Oberst Autographed Guitars

Pitchfork just busted Costco for selling a fake real autographed guitar on their website. From Pitchfork:

We’re as flummoxed as you are, but yeah, Costco is apparently selling these things for a cool $899.99 (shipping and handling included!). The “Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes Signed Acoustic Guitar” features such eye- and ear-catching attributes as “rich, full tone,” a “natural spruce top,” a “rosewood bridge,” and “cream binding on the body and neck [that] adds crisp style.” It also features a scribble of a signature allegedly from Conor himself on its face.

Conor’s PR people denied that anyone had signed anything for Costco and the guitars were swiftly pulled from the website. Apparently, Conor Oberst is some kind of music-making person. He seems very well regarded among his own kind. —MEGHANN MARCO

Costco Hawks Conor Oberst Guitars? [Pitchfork] (Thanks, El Guapo!)

Comments

1. homerjay says:

All our favorite retailers are getting into trouble! Say it ain’t so, Costco! Say it ain’t so!

2. gibbersome says:

Who the heck is Conor Oberst?!

3. JuliusJefferson says:

Wow, I wonder how many shitty songs he can write about this experience.

4. JuliusJefferson says:

@gibbersome:

He’s the main guy of Bright Eyes.

5. getjustin says:

@gibbersome: You’re not a skinny kid in tight jeans.

6. Stepehn Colbert says:

The Walmart rats must be clicking their heels within their succulent donut cases right about now.

7. enm4r says:

As probably evident, I’m surprised such a relatively unknown singer/songwriter would be the one they fake the signature of. 99% of Costco shoppers wouldn’t even know who he is, and the 1% that did wouldn’t buy a guitar from Costco…it seems such a worthless risk on their part, did they even sell any? I would doubt it.

8. Rajio says:

hmm this seems like a flat out scam.

9. Stepehn Colbert says:

could’ve been signed by Ingwe Malmenstein i suppose.

10. TinaB says:

His next album “The only thing I ever bought at Costco was a mirror and razor blades” is due out this fall..

11. hemaphore says:

Who plays a guitar thats signed by someone else?

12. aiken says:

Er, hello, people?

Costco is a distributor. They buy products from wholesalers and sell them to the public. That reynolds’ wrap you bought? Costco didn’t manufacture it. That $4 1.5L bottle of crappy chard you bought? There is no Costco winery turning it out (even if you went for the extremely crappy Kirkland brand).

It sounds more like Costco was taken in by a scammer that it does like they willfully decided to buy a bunch of guitars and have someone fake signatures of a more-or-less-unknown pop guitarist.

So, yeah, they should probably verify authenticity when they’re selling stuff like this, but it’s understandable that they haven’t in the past if it hasn’t been a problem. It would, after all, increase their costs and therefore prices. Probably the smart thing to do, though, once they’ve been burned like this.

Of course, “Costco gets scammed” is a lot less dramatic than “OMG!!!!111! COSTCO R SCAMRS 2!!!1″. So hyperventilate away, those of you who are into that sort of thing.

13. MeOhMy says:

Conor Oberst, AKA Brighteyes. Come on, people, he may not be on American Idol but he’s not *THAT* obscure.

I mean…I’ve heard of him, and I’m a huge John Tesh fan, for pete’s sake.

14. Canadian Impostor says:

Conor Oberst was better in Desaparecidos.

15. SOhp101 says:

@aiken: Have you ever stepped into a Costco and considered purchasing some of their wines? None of them are $4. Even if you have, you obviously do not like wines because nearly every wine enthusiast I know say that they’re pretty good quality and worth the cost.

BTW, nearly everything that’s labeled ‘Kirkland’ is pretty damn good. You know what? If you don’t like it, even just a little bit, go return it, even without a receipt, and you’ll get your CASH back. Very few companies will stand by their products that strongly.

16. higginsrj says:

This “He’s not mainstream so I haven’t heard of him therefore he sucks” attitude is pretty unbecoming. In fact Bright Eyes (which essentially IS Conor Oberst) is a very popular band; do a little research.

Agreed, his fans are unlikely to be buying guitars at Costco, but that’s a separate issue.

17. bambino says:

I only know of him from two sources: your sister site Idolator.com, and my coked-up fashionista friend from dallas. wait, i’m starting to see a connection…

18. bobbyk says:

If you’d like to know who Conor Oberst is, you should watch the billboard charts for this week as his new album, “Cassadaga”, makes a top five debut to plenty of critical acclaim.

19. AcidReign says:

…..@Nero: Yngwie Malmsteen DID have a signature strat model out a while back. It was a weird guitar with scalloped frets. Any string you mashed too hard while fretting pulled out-of-tune-sharp. It sounded god-awful when I tried to play it with my ham-hands…

20. Musician78 says:

Lots of people have signature guitars. Although, having someone’s name on it, even if it was my guitar hero, would make me less likely to buy it.

21. zolielo says:

I love Costco but they are a bit gray market with many of their items such as Omega watches. They seems to have fairly nice quality control but seemingly with this guitar some items slip through.

22. lindyman77 says:

I bet it was a Sam’s Club sabotage.

23. zolielo says:

See update

24. Zach Everson says:

I saw Bright Eyes open for R.E.M. and Springsteen on the Vote for Change tour. He was god awful–terrible sound, trite lyrics, and dressed like he was auditioning for a Gap ad.