Upset With Cellphone Service, Man Smashes Mercedes S500 Into Company Doors

A man upset with his cellphone provider’s inability to get his new phone to work out vented his rage by driving his friend’s Mercedes S500 into the company’s office doors.

“The Samsung Anycall cell phone that I bought from an SK distributor in Incheon on March 13 didn’t work at all,” Kim said. “I got a message to check the Universal Subscriber Identify Module card and reset it. I thought it was a problem with the USIM card, a part made by SK Telecom, so I called SK’s call center. But the problem wasn’t resolved.”

Kim said he called 16 times to complain and visited the head office twice. Two weeks ago, a head office employee suggested Kim replace his phone with a new model because they were out of the old one. Kim rejected the suggestion and insisted on receiving the same model which features an automatic overseas roaming service. Kim complained that SK refused to take responsibility for making faulty products.

And let’s guess… his cellphone still isn’t working right. Not the most effective form of customer complaint. But probably extremely fulfilling, if only for a fleeting moment or two. — BEN POPKEN

Man Smashes Mercedes into Cell Phone Office [Chosun] (Thanks to Bucky!)

Comments

1. theWolf says:

Especially since it was his friend’s Mercedes. Thanks, buddy!

2. royal72 says:

bout time someone went (sorta) postal on these fuckers. i’m still waiting for the “consumerist avenger” vigilante to visit the corporate headquarters of any and all of these thieving companies and serve some justice…
    “you will either (a) remove etfs and correct your fraudulent accounting, or (b) you start losing body parts till you do.”

3. Mills says:

I wonder how the friend feels about this.

4. J.T Dabbagian says:

Seriously: “I’m so angry at my wireless company I’m gonna take my friend’s $50,000+ car and plow it into the front doors of a fancy office! I’ll end up paying big $$$ to fix it all, rather then the paltry $150 or so to get a new phone, but it’s the message that counts!”

Good message, bad way of conducting it.

5. Trick says:

Man: Sorry, I need to borrow your Mercedes again to smash it into a cell phone corporate office.

Friend: You know I don’t mind you using my car…

Man: Thanks!

(long pause)

Friend: Wait, what are you going to do???

6. DCKiwi says:

From the article: “No casualties were reported but a revolving door was seriously injured.”

Is the door going to make it?

7. Baz says:

That door got pwn3d!

8. meadowlarkb says:

I would have used a cheaper car.

9. John Stracke says:

I’m pretty sure he’s wrong about his USIM card being manufactured by SK Telecom, which (according to Wikipedia) is purely a service company. It might be made by SK Teletech, though, and they’re both part of SK Group.

To add a layer of irony here, people are taking pictures of the wreck with their cellphones. Since they’re in the lobby of SK Telecom, which is the largest cellphone carrier in South Korea, those cellphones are probably going to send those pictures over SK Telecom’s network, presumably not for free.

In other words, this guy vandalized the wrong company and wound up increasing their revenue. Swift.

10. NeoteriX says:

I would have been more impressed if the article reported that he rigged the cruise control on and then dove out of the car as it barreled towards the building.

11. TinaB says:

He should have smashed it through the glass windows and spun a couple of donuts in the lobby area then drove it down the hallways into somebody’s office. That probably would have got the message across better.

12. IC18 says:

It doesnt say anywhere that he actually borrowed the car. Its not a cheap car to be letting anyone borrow it, certianly not me. I think he temporarly stole it to make his argument.

13. acambras says:

Can you hear me NOW, bitches???

14. surgesilk says:

Project Mayhem. His name is Robert Paulson.

15. Buran says:

@NeoteriX: I think there was a CSI Miami episode with a plot like that. Some old woman got angry at a company, thought she was plowing through their lobby, and got the street wrong and plowed through a restaurant instead and killed several people, including herself (hello Darwin).

The scary thing is that CSI plots are largely based on true stories … just with locations and names changed and some random plot changes thrown in.

16. oldhat says:

Stupid foriegners…in America crazy wackos go in armed to the teeth and kill dozens of people before dying in a firefight with police.

Won’t they ever learn?

17. SpyMaster says:

As the Mercedes roars toward the building, the careful observer would hear the driver yelling into his cell phone, “I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!!!!”

18. CafeRacer1200 says:

in the meantime, the customer’s ’79 Chevette is safe at home, awaiting it’s chance to trash a Starvin’Marvin convenience store.

19. B says:

@Buran: It was CSI Vegas, and the driver programmed the wrong address into the GPS.

20. ironchef says:

chill out. it’s only a phone.

but I can understand his rage.

21. Bay State Darren says:

So what’s this Kim’s username on Consumerist?

22. Plasmafire says:

Apparently he forgot the spraypaint what was left of the front entrance with his complaint and how their service sucks.

23. simonmdt says:

I wonder if this man writes, this blog; http://youpissedmeoffyoubastard.blogspot.com/

24. Wormfather says:

Where do I contribute to his legal aid fund.

I keep saying it, go with verizon, yeah, they screw you up the arse every other way, but at the end of the day, my call goes through.

25. ngwoo says:

This is the beginning of the consumer uprise. Today, Mercedes’. Tomorrow, nuclear missiles.

26. Trai_Dep says:

NRA types say guns don’t kill people, PEOPLE kill people.

Shows what happens to crazies in countries that don’t allow semi-automatic weapon purchases over the counter.

Knives, cars, baseball bats. Stitches, broken revolving doors, bruises.

Who’s the crazy country?!