Best Buy: 2 Years 3 Months And 17 Days Later, The TV Is Still Not Installed

A Virginia woman has sued Best Buy for never bothering to properly install her parent’s home theater system. At the time the lawsuit was filed, March 20th, 2007, it had been 2 years 3 months and 17 days (1,205,280 minutes) since Debra Wroczynski, of Cleveland, Va., spent $7,212.86 for a home theater system and installation from Best Buy. In those years Best Buy had sent 3 subcontractors to Debra’s parents home, none of whom managed to properly install the tv. From the complaint:

In the ensuing months, through May 2005 and up until the present, three separate installation companies hired and retained by Best Buy to deliver and install the purchased goods made some effort to install the Morris’ home theater, including: National Installation Company, K.A.T. Communications, and Digital Technology, Inc.,” the suit says.

“Currently, the wire molding is not properly installed; the television’s wiring is dangling and exposed; the television is not functioning as promised; and the universal television remote control was taken by Digital Technology for programming and has not been returned to the Morris’,” the suit says.

You know it’s bad when they steal your remote. Why would it ever need to leave the house? Is there something we don’t know?—MEGHANN MARCO

Woman says Best Buy, installers didn’t complete job [WVRecord]
(Photo: cmorran123)

Comments

1. orlong says:

This is the main reason Best Buy went to in house installers. The third party companies sucked

2. whiterose says:

Oh wow, that store is about 4 miles from where I live and I bought my Sony VAIO from them about a year ago. Very little installation was requred, but I had no problem with the service.

3. royal72 says:

isn’t the name of the store false advertising and will some customer advocacy group please sue them for that fact? i think something along the lines of “bustbuy” or perhaps “sortabuy” is much more appropriate.

4. Scuba Steve says:

@orlong: I thought it was circuit city who did in house. Fire-something..

5. Eric says:

Best Buy does have their own in-house home theater installers now. Dealing with sub-contractors is never pleasant and hopefully they will get her suit resolved.

On another note, how much was the installation? A 42″ LCD or plasma television is less than half of that. She must have spent a fortune on the installation.

6. lleopard says:

The same thing happened to me…..only over 9 months. They also took my remote and it took me months to get it back. The remote itself cost over $500 with installation and warranty andit still isn’t working right.

7. hudsong says:

Who the hell would blow 7k on a home theatre system? I can think of a myriad of things more worthy than a screen on which to watch (probably) crappy movies with surround sound. Just push the pleasure button a little more and maybe the problems of the world wont matter.

8. Anitra says:

Eric: Note that it says “home theater system”, not just a TV. Probably a bunch of other A/V equipment involved as well – speakers, those overpriced “Monster” cables, etc. Those can drive up the price really quick.

9. Trick says:

Why is the woman suing for finance charges? It is Best Buy’s fault she didn’t pay off her credit card too?

10. puka_pai says:

She’s suing for the cost to her of goods and services not received. That would include the finance charges.

11. Mmmm. Stealing the remote. If anyone stole my Harmony remote, I’d die. Seriously. That sucks.

12. oldhat says:

Well, even the folks with too much money for their own good should have some protection, too.

I guess. Sometimes.

13. soj17 says:

“spent $7,212.86 for a home theater system and installation from Best Buy”

Anyone who spends that much on the crap best buy sells deserves to get taken. If you are going to spend that kind of money on a Home Theater then you need to be dealing with people who know what they are talking about. That amount will get you a nice setup at just about any specialty shop.

14. MisterE says:

After the first week, I would have returned the entire system. Why dick around with that kind of Money?