How To Get A Raise

Seeing as one of the best ways to take control of your personal financial destiny is to make more money, here’s a short video on asking your boss for a raise. The basic tips are:

1. Identify and document why you deserve a raise.
2. Call a recruiter to find out your market value.
3. Ask at times when your boss and company are doing well.
4. Ask for a specific meeting and make it clear what the discussion is.
5. Get it in writing.

It can’t buy happiness, but if you’re dealing with bills, payments, and unaffordable needs, money can certainly get rid of some aggravations standing in happiness’ way. — BEN POPKEN

How To Get The Boss To Pay You More Money [Video Jug]

Comments

1. thrillhouse says:

be worth more – increase and show your value

2. PsychicPsycho3 says:

Highlight of this video: Hearing the British Pronunciation of HR.

Haytch Ahhhh.

3. medalian1 says:

Good luck … I used to work for the State (FL) and this isn’t possible. Now I work for a state hybrid type of place and it won’t work here either. This is only for private enterprises I imagine.

4. Dacker says:

This will not work at most private enterprises either. The vast majority of mid-to-large companies have annual performance reviews and getting a raise ‘off-cycle’ is simply never done. And when you do get one on-cycle, you get what you get — there is no opportunity to negotiate or ask for more.

Your only other option is to walk.

5. bighed03 says:

Usually at smaller businesses the only way to get through to upper management is by giving your notice. It certainly sucks having to go about it that way, but it’s a real kick in the teeth to them if you leave (especially if you’ve worked there over a year).

6. Prosumerist says:

The only real negotiating power you have is to walk but that sort of ultimatum is seens as just that – don’t walk unless you have somewhere else to walk to.
    As far as ‘performance’ goes – how many of us can honestly say they go above and beyond in their daily chores? I have a hard time just keeping my eyes open.

7. XianZhuXuande says:

@Dacker: Ah, I don’t know. I guess it depends on whether you are in over your head (though yes, there are employers who are particularly difficult to get raises from). I’ve successfully negotiated raises with almost every employer I’ve ever worked with. I negotiated raises (greater than annual review raises) with Arby’s (2x, 2y), Teltrust (4x, 4y), Geeksquad (3x, 2y), CISCO (1x, 1y), and more. I follow steps less elegant than those listed above, and those listed above seem more likely to succeed.

I’m also a dedicated employee who sets his own goals beyond that of the company, and strives to achieve them.

8. John Stracke says:

This is bizarre. As far as I’ve ever heard, the only ways to get a large raise are (a) change jobs and (b) threaten to change jobs, with a real job offer in hand.

It’s odd that she talks about bringing up changing conditions, such as taking on managerial responsibilities. If your boss is at all sane, they should have given you a raise when they made you a manager, not left it for you to ask.

9. @John Stracke: You can end up taking on managerial responsiblilities without being made a manager.

Some employers do try to make you do the work of someone in a higher position without giving you that position.

10. M3wThr33 says:

I prefer the tips that were used on last week’s episode of The Office.

11. Sudonum says:

As someone who used to be on the receiving end of some of these tactics when I worked for a large hotel chain. What I can tell you is to start doing the job that you want to be promoted to and make sure there is someone who can do your job when you are. Even if there was no opening above your position I would try to make sure that those I wanted to eventually promote were willing to stick around. Take the initiative.