The RIAA And MPAA Need To Lie

The RIAA and MPAA are telling California legislators that lies and deceit are an integral part of their anti-piracy strategy. The importance of lying, masterfully demonstrated by Jim Carrey in his 1997 hit “Liar Liar,” is at issue as California legislators mull a measure that would ban pretexting. Otherwise known as lying, pretexting involves the use of “false statements and other misleading practices to get personal information.”

The trade groups have proposed an alternative measure that would allow the use of pretexting “or other investigative techniques” when pursuing their copyright claims.

[The trade groups] said investigators sometimes pose as someone else to obtain bootlegged CDs or movies and to break into online piracy rings. “Basically, we want criminals to feel comfortable that who they’re dealing with is probably some other criminal and let us in on what’s going on,” said Brad Buckles, the RIAA’s executive vice president for anti-piracy.

There, there, Recording Industry and Motion Picture Associations of America. We will always think of you as criminals. — CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

Recording, movie industries lobby for permission to deceive [L.A. Times]
(Photo: 03|23|07)

Comments

1. superlayne says:

Thats also how they catch pedophiles online.
    Outlawing that would make a lot of crooks, online or otherwise, very happy.

2. silverpie says:

There’s a difference. In child-sex investigations, it is the police who are going “under cover.” This would place that same power in the hands of a private entity that has, to put it bluntly, abused the powers they do have.

3. JuliusJefferson says:

@superlayne:

I assume that the ban on pretexting would apply to private entities – not law enforcement.

4. Stepehn Colbert says:

ya, law enforcement uses such a tactic, but a non-government, non-law group such as RIAA can’t.

5. ngwoo says:

I didn’t realize that you need to lie to “break into online piracy rings”. You don’t need to prove that you’re not RIAA to download 300 via Bittorrent, that’s for sure.

6. altcountryman says:

The headline is misspelled. The L should be a D.

7. superlayne says:

@JuliusJefferson: I hope that’s what it means. I don’t have a problem knowing law enforcement would still use the tactic. However, I do have a problem with the RIAA.
    I have a problem with the RIAA doing anything.

8. timmus says:

“…that would ban pretexting. Otherwise known as lying, pretexting involves the use of “false statements and other misleading practices to get personal information.”

Thank you, Carey, for calling a spade a spade. I’m really sick of that mealymouthed euphemism for corporate “hey it’s okay” styled abuse of privacy.

9. Bay State Darren says:
  10. chupamiubre says:

well if you are a law enforcement office you can lie. if you are not then why should you be able to lie? if i sell you a stolen cell phone tell you its not who gets in trouble?

11. Crim Law Geek says:

Pretexting is lying pretending you are an actual someone else (as opposed to a fictional 14 y/o virgin who loves older men) in order to gain access to person information that would not be available to you otherwise. Pretending you are someone that doesn’t exist is not pretexting.

Saying “I’m a 14 y/o virgin who loves to get it on with older guys” to catch a pedophile (or for any reason) is NOT pretexting (but is lying). Saying “I’m, superlayne, my SSN is 123-23-2323, please give me my last telephone bill” IS pretexting (and lying).

// Get it?
    // Is not a 14 y/o virgin
    // Doesn’t like men (older or otherwise)

12. healthdog says:

@chupamiubre: Both parties would be in trouble. One for selling stolen property, one for receiving.

I am totally gonna start identity theftin’ now that the RIAA says pretexting is okay. Flexible morality is cool!

13. desonos says:

@thirdgen: “I’m, superlayne, my SSN is 123-23-2323, please give me my last telephone bill”

How’d you know that was superlayne’s SSN? How dare you share it with the world?!?

14. axiomatic says:

It’s a sad day for capitalism when pretexting becomes “OK” for one of these MPAA / RIAA cartels. How do those guys sleep at night?