Why Equifax Doesn't Seem To Understand Your Letters

Mailing back and forth with Equifax can be like talking to a brick wall, except instead of bricks, the wall is made out of buttocks, and they’re farting all over your credit report.

According to a tipster who use to work for the company, this is because when you write Equifax a letter, it goes to a PO box, gets scanned, and then someone in India downloads it from a server.

We wouldn’t want to malign the industrious and good-natured people of India, but we can be fairly certain that whoever is selecting a response to your letter from a drop-down box on a computer screen, they’re the cheapest person Equifax could find…

That’s why it may be helpful to contact Equifax executive customer service. — BEN POPKEN

Comments

1. Rajio says:

Whats equifax’s hiring standards got to do with India or Indians or Buttocks?

2. kerry says:

That image is awesome. I wonder where I could buy that wallpaper, it would look outstanding in my bathroom.

3. 5cents says:

Not true actually, competition within India at back offices is fantastically high and the job generally goes to the most qualified. Whereas Equifax may be getting a cheap deal in US dollar terms, employees in India are actually well paid (relatively) and couldn’t be considered bottom of the barrely.

I’ve talked with my former roomate (fraud specialist at Amex, Toronto) and confirmed the following:

It’s ludicrous to expect businesses in the credit industry to be forthright, fair or understanding. Their very business is founded on them screwing us out of money. Legal recourse can be expensive, indeed a legal framework often doesn’t exist protecting the cutsomer well enough. The credit industry takes advantage of this by making even simple processes (such as fixing a late payment) a labyrinthe task to encourage “breakage.”

In the end, you are in this position because you borrowed money from someone else. It’s usually sucks to be in someone else’s pocket, innit?

4. timmus says:

My only solace is that if screwing people is endemic within the system, then my FICO score will be lower but so will everybody else’s, so relatively it’s all the same.

5. enm4r says:

Dealing with reporting agencies is just horrible news, everyone knows this. However, dealing with creditors/lenders has, in my experience, been much easier. And when the end result is the same, why not go the easy route.

I had a government loan that I legitimately did not know I had out on my name. (long story) DFAS, the defense financing and accounting service did not have my correct address, and so it went straight to collections. I was way overdue, and this could have been a horrible thing to resolve. Luckily I caught it on my credit report 6 months after I was supposedly late for the first time, and decided to talk to them instead of the 3 reporting agencies.

All it took was a call and a convincing story (fortunately for me, the truth) and though I still have to pay the money, which is fine, they pulled all the negative reporting to the credit agencies. It took about 45 days for it to filter through, but one call is all it took. You’re also much more likely to encounter a human being, someone who will take the time to listen to you and understand but still has the power to accomplish the end result you want.

I’ve also done this with a student loan I ended up being late on (wrong address moving away from school) with equally impressive results. Friends have used this to get late credit card payments off, random store credit cards they signed up for in college but forgot about, etc. I would assume anyone who has power to report negative payments can retract them, and in my experience this has been much much easier than dealing with reporting agencies themselves.

6. LAGirl says:

i played that game with Equifax, TRW and Experian. i noticed some errors, wrote some nicely-worded, intelligent letters. what sort of reply did i get? a f**ing form letter!! wrote another letter. got another form letter. when i called each credit agency to ask if they had even read my letter, i was told that the reply letter they sent me was standard.

how in the h&ll am i supposed to fix all the damned mistakes if no one if reading my letters??!!

7. cynon says:

I’d like to get together a class action law suit to sue them for sending my personal and private information out of the country. And yes, I know that thanks to government apathy and incompetence, coupled with corporate greed, my personal information is no longer personal or private.

Doesn’t matter. I still think they should be sued.

8. Lewis says:

@LAGirl: Try to work directly with the creditor(s) whom you believe are furnishing incorrect information.

The creditors are the customer of the CRA. You are not. If the creditor wants information corrected, it will be.

Your only recourses vis-a-vis the CRAs are those granted you by the Congress. The creditors have the recourse of the monthy fees they pay the CRAs to (ostensibly) report accurately.

9. dantsea says:

Offshoring is like anything else: you get what you pay for.

A few years ago I was a supervisor for a financial services call center. I was based in California, all of my staff were based in an office outside of Delhi. Our offshore partner paid well (for India), recruited intelligent, competent and dedicated employees, and communication was a two-way channel that never closed.

On Monday, I left a company that does call center QA for some large Fortune 500 companies, including many that get mentioned here multiple times every week. The bulk of the work is sent to India (where we actually own and operate an office) with a much smaller operation in the Pacific Northwest for those clients who want their information to remain in the U.S.

Since the company is determined to squeeze every ounce of profit possible, much of our operations, development and administrative work is sent to the India office. The pay rate is low by India standards and the result is evident in every interaction we have with them. That salary attracts novice or workers with a low level of skill (or lifers whose work ethic has given them a bad reputation everywhere else), there’s a high turnover as people get the experience they need for better jobs elsewhere and there’s a huge comprehension (not necessarily language) barrier that results in huge delays in getting things upgraded or fixed.

I finally quit because of the India roadblock.

The offshoring solution can work, but only if the companies using it aren’t doing so with visions of paying pennies instead of dollars.

10. meadowlarkb says:

Great wall of farts metaphor.

11. gryack100 says:

wooo wee, way to fuel the xenophobia by using the guy in the turban.

12. Orcwar says:

Do we really need a site like Consumerist putting up a picture of a guy in a turban to represent India? What’s next ? A picture of a starving child next to an article aboout Africa?

13. madderhatter says:

@Orcwar:

Maybe a pic of Apu ? Or maybe Hadjee, that little kid from Johnnie Quest, but with a headset on sitting in front of a computer ? Who cares !

14. hixson17 says:

Equifax refuses to send me a copy of my credit report even though I mailed in TWO of their forms with proof of my identity. These were copies of my TX driver’s license and my Social Security Card. I received two new forms back in the mail, just like the ones I had submitted. They both had my correct name, in slightly different forms and my correct address on both forms. They commented that the information I submitted did not match their records, so I could not have a copy of my file. All of their phones are automated so I got nowhere until I found this site. I am going to try it now.