RIAA Sends Cease And Desist Letters To Its Own Viral Marketing Campaign

Trent Reznor leaks songs from his new album via USB drives hidden in bathrooms. Fans share the songs. Websites post the songs. Websites receive cease and desist letters from the RIAA. From Billboard:

Another Web posting alleged that all this activity resulted in entertainment blog Idolator and other sites receiving e-mail from the Recording Industry Association of America, demanding that they remove the MP3s from their sites. An RIAA representative confirms this, a move that boggles the minds of many. “These f*cking idiots are going after a campaign that the label signed off on,” the source says.

Good job, guys. —MEGHANN MARCO

Online Odyssey Stoking Interest In New NIN Album [Billboard via Slashdot]

Comments

1. mopar_man says:

“These f*cking idiots are going after a campaign that the label signed off on.”

That sums it up right there. How can the RIAA be taken seriously?

2. superlayne says:

…I would be scared to use ANYTHING I found in a bathroom on my computer. That’s…bull, really.

I wonder if the RIAA are actually run by Satan.

3. mopar_man says:

I think Satan has better morals than the RIAA.

4. sweetpea12 says:

@superlayne:

I think even Satan likes to share from time to time.

5. RetroChristal says:

Even Satan isn’t THAT bad. He only goes after people who are actually guilty.

6. hudsong says:

The RIAA is known to sue dead people and also people who do not own computers. I don’t think they can be taken seriously anymore…

7. cerulgalactus says:

The RIAA can eat me. Or whatever the Aussie version is.

8. markymags says:

We all know that the RIAA was voted the Most Hated corporation… can we name them the Most Stupid corporation as well?

9. There’s nothing much to say here but: what morons. I mean, c’mon. Give me a freakin’ break.

10. arachnophilia says:

people in the nin community aren’t taking the riaa threats seriously.

though there has been at least one instance of one of interscope’s international distributer’s legal team (not the riaa) going after someone for hosting a leaked song, issuing a c-and-d along with a bill for some 600 dollars. apparently, when the left hand caught up with the right hand, the person was refunded his money and given backstage passes: see here for more.

i also seem to recall interscope being displeased over q101 in chicago playing one of the leaked tracks. not sure what became of that (though they recently played the entire album straight through).

11. ngwoo says:

I understand the songs on the USB key are meant to be shared, but can’t we get the RIAA on entrapment now that they’re suing?
    Call in the lawyers!

12. catnapped says:

RIAA = “The Borg”

’nuff said

13. cindel says:

Word! The album is soooo fucking good!

Fuck me Trent, Fuck me Hard.

14. KivaWolf says:

Here is something that the RIAA would sound like if they were the BORG. “We are the RIAA. Lower your intellect and surrender your computers. Your money will be added to our own. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!”

15. pockygt says:

@Zeke129:
    If they were cops, then we totally could. Until then, we are going to have to stick to freebasing mp3s we find in men’s room stalls.

16. Nicholai says:

@KivaWolf: yes…. the RIAA tracks down free things like a coin collector looks for coins.

17. Chaoticfluffy says:

@KivaWolf: Allow me to add to that.
    “But…I don’t own a computer!”
    “IRRELEVANT!”

18. Havok154 says:

That’s what the record company gets for sharing it’s own music. Don’t they know that’s illegal. /sarcasm

Seriously though. I hope that this puts a bad taste in the record label sees how bad the RIAA is and hopefully stops backing them. Of course, thats wishful thinking since the RIAA probably brings in a good deal of money for them.

19. freakinalex says:

At this point, I’m surprised that the RIAA isn’t suing Trent Reznor for leaking these songs in the first place.

Also, I find it funny that the article uses the words “leak” and “bathroom” in the same sentence.

20. John Stracke says:

Just because they distributed copies of the songs on free USB sticks doesn’t mean they authorized the recipients to redistribute them.

21. Wouldn’t this be a great opportunity for the EFF to get involved? The EFF sure seems to be hitting the front pages lately and I can’t think of a larger story than taking on the RIAA for sending cease and desist letters to webmasters participating in an advertising campaign that was authorized.