FDA: Dog Chews Contaminated With Salmonella

The FDA is warning that certain dog chews have been contaminated with salmonella. The product in question, American Bullie A.B. Bull Pizzle Puppy Chews and Dog Chews, were manufactured by T.W. Enterprises of Ferndale, Washington.

Salmonella can sicken dogs and be transferred to people who handle the chews. The FDA says:

Salmonella can potentially be transferred to people handling these pet treats, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products. Healthy people infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

CNN says that dog biscuits have also been recalled in connection with the wheat gluten rat poison recall. At this point you should probably feed your dog moonlight and/or designer furniture because literally everything else will poison it. —MEGHANN MARCO

FDA Issues Health Hazard Alert for Pet Chews Due to Contamination with Salmonella [FDA]
FDA: Pet chews could be contaminated with salmonella [CNN]
(Photo: anjill154)

Comments

1. timmus says:

Must be one of those “leaky roofs” at the dog chew factory.

2. 1) How long will it take for there to be a report of these still being on Walmart’s shelves?

2) How many months will it take Walmart to get these off the shelves?

3. RandomHookup says:

So why don’t they just go ahead and bag up dog poop, cause that seems to be pretty safe for them to eat.

4. smarty says:

Seriously, this is getting annoying for many pet owners. Menu foods is one of the largest suppliers of pet foods, and the list of foods is expanding. Now salmonella possibilities. FDA is showing up as more and more useless.

5. The Bigger Unit says:

Bull Pizzle Puppy Chews”?! That’s hizzlarious!

Fo’ shizzle.

6. brattpowered says:

Pizzle means weiner, y’all. I wouldn’t give my dog a bull cock to chew on.

7. Citron says:

@brattpowered: . . . Woah. I did not know that, honestly. I feel uncomfortable and glad I have cats.

8. The Bigger Unit says:

“Pizzle”…it was funny at first…but now…well, just “thanks” brattpowered.

9. MercuryPDX says:

@RandomHookup: Not true. My dog has the disgusting poop-snacker habit and it’s been an endless battle against intestinal parasites (Whipworm, hookworm). I swear my dog eats more “Panacur seasoned” food than regular food.

On a side note, I’m kind of surprised dogs can be affected by Salmonella. I was always under the impression that since they eat pretty much anything (poop included) in any state (dead and decaying), that they wouldn’t get sick.

10. jasonq says:

@MercuryPDX –

I concur. Was musing on this just last night w/ my wife, and we concluded that with all the disgusting crap our dog eats (she’s a compost-pile scavenger par excellence), contaminated dog food is the least of our worries.

Still, I’m ready to start our mutt on the BARF diet.

What really irritates me is that these incidents of late with dog and human food will probably lead to a big push for irradiated food, instead of, you know, actually FIXING the problems with the system. I’m not against irradiation per se, but it seems like a band-aid approach to the issue.

11. Kat says:

It’s all part of Bob Barker’s plot to help control the pet population.

12. jitrobug says:

Chicken and rice. Just boil some chicken, throw some rice in the rice cooker.. mix it up, make fido happy. (Probably some veggies in there would be smart?)

13. Papa K says:

That pic has a femur bone in it – got one from my dog, and it’s outlasted every chew toy we’ve gotten her.

It’s my pet toy best buy for ’07! HA!

14. Papa K says:

@jitrobug:

I wouldn’t suggest that – it may causing your pup to lose out on vital nutrients. There are web sites dedicated to making your own dog food (I don’t, but just grinding up what is listed as “flavors” probably don’t meet the requirements)