Bacon And Egg Burritos: Some Taco Bells Have A Breakfast Menu

Get ready for the Taco Bell Breakfast Menu! The menu consists of 8 items, including a sausage and bacon grilled burrito; a guacamole bacon grilled burrito; a bacon and egg taco; and Bell breakfast potatoes.

Excited? It’s only available in certain test markets for now, but if the people in Omaha, NE like it… Taco Bell Breakfast could be coming to you. Didn’t they already try this, only to fail miserably?

If anyone actually tries anything off the menu, send photos of the food to our Flickr pool. We’re curious. —MEGHANN MARCO

Omaha Gets To Try Taco Bell’s Breakfasts [KETV]
(Photo: nevrlndtink)

Comments

1. simian-fever says:

About 8 or 9 years ago the Taco Bell in Milford, CT served breakfast when I was working in the area. Options were limited but a overcrammed with egg burrito was available. I don’t recall if a hash brown or similar side was available though.

2. Sharkkmann says:

They have a breakfast burritos overhear in Riverside, CA. You actually can get a big sized, decent-tasting bean burrito for $1.29. And the great combination of eggs and beans mean your co-workers and/or loved ones will have something apprecaite later ….

3. Chairman-Meow says:

“guacamole bacon grilled burrito”

Mmmm…everything goes good when you have two completely different families of fat in your breakfast sandwich. The icing on the cake would be if they could add a greasy Sausage Patty on top.

4. TheDTrain says:

Know who has really good breakfast? Chick-Fil-A.

What can I say? I’m addicted to it.

5. royal72 says:

@simian-fever: same here in so cal. i remember trying one of their burritos and all i could taste was tortilla and a hint of egg. hope they revised their breakfast recipes, compared to before… then again, here in san diego we have so many great and cheap mexican food places, so i doubt i’ll be eating breakfast at taco bell very often! darn it, now i’m hungry for a machaca burrito :)..

6. kerry says:

The staying power of the breakfast burrito on restaurant menus baffles me to this day. I thought they were dumb, but people seem to buy them and eat them. More power to taco bell for taking sucker money.

7. specialed5000 says:

Several years ago I was a manager at for a Taco Bell franchisee in Virginia. Many of their locations had, and probably still have breakfast, but never really sell much at all (1 or 2 orders a day, sometimes none). They have to carry it, because the requirements for having a spot on the “Food Next Exit” highway signs include being open breakfast hours, and selling at something that could reasonably be considered breakfast. On mornings when I opened, I’d go in at 6, turn on equipment, cook a batch of eggs, wait until the holding time expired, throw them away, and repeat the process until the regular menu started at 10.

BTW, the steak and egg burritos with green sauce were pretty good.

8. BMR says:

Yum…Green Sauce….

9. timmus says:

It’s really ironic that Taco Bell, of all things, is one of the last restaurants to roll out a breakfast burrito. Here in Texas, Sonic, Whataburger, and Taco Cabana have been doing it for years.

10. timmus says:

P.S. I think this is doomed to flop again, because who’s going to go get breakfast in a test market at a restaurant that’s usually closed at that hour? Taco Bell needs to get off the pot and commit to the idea. I think specialed5000′s experience bears this out.

11. The_Truth says:

I Love You Taco Bell!

12. zyphbear says:

Actually, there are many Qdoba that also serve breakfast. While like anything at Qdoba, it can be a little expensive, they have decent priced food and combo meals. I will post a pic of their breakfast menu to the Flickr Pool later this evening. Some tasty stuff actually.

13. kimbot says:

i have some insider information on taco bell! the next new items coming out are a 7 layer crunch wrap and a grande quesadilla, which has the same stuff as a regular quesadilla but it’s bigger.

14. CaptainRoin says:

a guacamole bacon grilled burrito

Call me a sucker and take my money but OMFG! that sounds delicous!

15. The Bigger Unit says:

Yeah, I was gonna rip the menu choices…but then I remembered that I ate 2 Chick-Fil-A breakfast burritos yesterday. And boy, they were actually quite good.

That said, I don’t anticipate heading to Taco Bell for breakfast if I won’t eat it any other time of the day. My system can’t take a guacamole bacon fried and buttered burrito at 8:00am.

16. BoomshaTheGreat says:

Good afternoon consumerist fans, I am in the great fast food pit known as Omaha, NE. I had the pleasure of enjoying Taco Bell’s next adventure just this morning! Someplaces (McD) call it breakfast… I call it “Deliciousness.” All of the menu items seem well thought out, and include many varieties. I had the Sausage and Bacon Grilled Stuft Burrito (Basically the Grilled Stuft Burrito with potatoes, bacon, tomatoes, sausage, cheese, and a breakfast seasoning blend with peppers and onions) and a couple of Bacon, Egg,and Cheese Tacos, I plan on hitting up the Bell closer to my house, buying the majority of the morning menu and posting it on the flickr site here. I will say that this menu is so easy to make, that the time from ordering to pulling out of the parking lot was less than 2 minutes. This is one of the best breakfasts in the history of fast food.

17. Gena says:

Interesting they’ve chosen Omaha. I live in the happy little test market and am willing to play photojournalist for the Consumerist. But I’m not going to be able to eat this stuff…I’m with Nature Boy – there’s nothing right about guacamole and bacon in a burrito at 8 a.m.

18. junkmail says:

Gena, same here. Matter of fact, there’s one right across the street from the division I live in, but I’m not sure I’m brave enough to pull the trigger on a “guacamole bacon grilled burrito” at ANY time of the day. Still, though, it’s nice seeing Omaha as a test market for once, rather than getting everyone else’s leftovers. :)

19. GenXCub says:

I’ve tried Del Taco’s breakfast stuff and it was nasty, so hopefully they do something different. Currently, the #1 spot on my drive through breakfast is Carls’ Jr. (Hardee’s for you east coasters). Their Steak and Egg burrito is wonderful as is their Loaded Breakfast Burrito (eggs, bacon, sausage and tater tots + salsa)

20. TWinter says:

@Gena & Junkmail

Don’t confuse test marketing with market launches. Upper-midwestern cities are actually very popular sites for test marketing stuff. Cities in that part of the country tend to have income distributions that are similar to the country as a whole and most importantly they are off the media radar. If you test market something in NY or California and it’s a total failure, it’s very likely that the failure gets noticed and reported in the national media (which bad for your stock price and public image). If you test market in Omaha, Des Moines, or Peoria total flops don’t get noticed by the national media or Wall St and can be quietly abandoned and forgotten.

21. FreakyStyley says:

Also in Omaha, will try it out tomorrow.

22. junkmail says:

@TWinter: Point taken, (way to totally suck the wind outta my sails on that one…)

23. homerjay says:

Holy Gluttony, Batman!

24. dukerayburn says:

Didn’t know Omaha was home to so many Consumerists. Or that this wasn’t nationwide yet. Cool!

Anyhow, reporting in on my breakfast yesterday. I got the grilled stuffed with bacon and guacamole, and it wasn’t too bad. But as suspected above, the fattiness of those two ingredients, the eggs, and the cheese was a bit much. I’ll get something else next time, to be certain.

One excellent part of the meal, however, was the potatoes. They’re the same cubed variety you find on the value menu, but without the toppings. Drizzle a little of your preferred sauce over them and they’re quite nice. And if you were so inclined you could also dip them in ketchup like tater tots. I enjoyed them quite a lot.

I’m afraid of the cinammon tostadas, but I’ll probably try those too. You’ll have to forgive me if I decline to dip them in syrup, though.

25. MeMikeYouNot says:

In Las Vegas, Del Taco has a great breakfast menu. I love their breakfast burritos and a big ‘ol Diet Coke to cancel out the calories!!

26. kimbot says:

i have something else to add. how in the heck will taco bell make the eggs? all i know of them having for cooking is the “thermalizer”(hot water in a vat with lids. this is how all the meat and nacho cheese are heated up) and the fryer. hopefully they’re not sending out bags of scrambled eggs to be heated up. that’s just gross.

27. Maulleigh says:

@MeMikeYouNot: I gotta agree MeMikeYouNot. When I lived in CA, there was nothing more satisfying than the bacon egg and cheese burrito from Del Taco.

28. BlackBirdTA says:

The Taco Bueno in our town started serving breakfast a few weeks ago. I haven’t been able to bring myself to try it yet. The pictures look really scary. I imagine Taco Bell will have to follow soon.

29. zyphbear says:

I have posted pics of Qdoba’s Breakfast menu to the consumerist Flickr Pool, feel free to look at them.

30. Sharkkmann says:

Usually it’s the dives that has the best breakfast burritos (and Mexican food, for the matter) Taco Bell and Del Taco are usually the places to good substanance, but not for substance….

31. Miastar says:

In So. Cal. a lot of Taco Bells, but not all, have had breakfast as long as I can remember. I get a serious jones once a week for a tasty delicious Breakfast Gordita, which is eggs, cheese, and Baja sauce (green onions were omitted after the recent e. coli scare) in the gordita flatbread. Truly delicious and only a buck!

Plus not a lot of people know about it so there’s totally no wait at the drivethru.

I hope they don’t omit the Breakfast Gordita for the new items or I will seriously freak out.

32. Ico Jones says:

@kerry: It’s amazing that a company would have the nerve to keep selling something that you personally don’t like — the other 274.999 million people in this country be damned!

33. asherchang says:

breakfast burritos are the grossest thing you can ever eat.

34. Sharkkmann says:

Asherchang you just have never had one done right …..

35. Hexum2600 says:

@Ico Jones: Sooooo where were you when we hit 300 million?

And I wish that everyone would realize that everytime you eat Del Taco… if you yourself don’t get food poisoning, someone you love dies.
    Seriously.

Its bad Stuff.

36. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

McDonald’s has had the breakfast burrito for years, and I always thought it was a rather handy alternative to the Grease-McMuffin. I mean, come on, it’s Taco Bell, so nobody is expecting miracles. I’d certainly snarf down a few breakfast burritos if I were starving and found myself within range of a Tacon Bell. I wouldn’t go out of my way for it, but it would suffice. Besides, BK offers that mega-huge omelet sandwich with like a trillion calories..certainly it’s not that bad.

37. dgevenson says:

Serving sizes in foods must be more realistic, or atleast be packaged as such..People are always concerned carbs, fat content, cholesterol, sodium and calories, but nobody pays attention to serving size on contaiers..For example, 1 can of Chef Boyardee ravioli is “sbout 2″ servings (it might be to two 10year olds).To me it’s 1 serving with 70g carbs, 480 calories,16g of fat,30mg cholesterol, and 1800mg sodium..1 bottle of soda is just as bad..A 20oz bottle is 2 1/2 servings (who’s gonna drink 1 cup of soda?) 1 20oz bottle of “Code Red””Mountain Dew” is 250 calories, has 170mg sodium and 75g of carbs..This means, that if, this is your lunch your consumed (based on 200 calorie diet)36.5% of your calories, 76% of your sodium…Salad dressing is even worse..Think about it

38. sannere says:

I live in Toledo, and I have tried the Taco Bell breakfast. As a hangover cure, I find their breakfast quite delightful. It is second on my list when I am in desperate need for something to weight down my stomach so it doesn’t float away with nausea, right after the Wafflehouse. As someone mentioned above, it is somewhat difficult to pick out the different components of the food, but the whole taste is sure to satisfy anyone who is looking to cram a lot of fat and bread into themselves quickly..

39. Anonymous says:

When I was in high school about 11 years ago, they had a country breakfast burrito in Fullerton, CA. It was the best! Eggs, cheese and country gravy. I’m not sure if it had hashbrowns in it but I think they should bring it back!!