9 Ways To Effectively Complain

U.S. News and World Report has a good refresher course of steps to take to get your consumer complaints resolved. They quote us, so you know they’re onto something.

1) Do your research before you buy
2) In the event of a problem, contact the company first
3) Threaten a chargeback
4) Write the CEO
5) Tell the truth
6) Contact the relevant Better Business Bureau
7) Complain in an online forum
8) File complaints with regulatory bodies

And we’ll throw in one of our own,

9) start an online jihad.

— BEN POPKEN

Nine Keys to Lodging Effective Consumer Complaints
[U.S. News & World Report]

Comments

1. Hoss says:

threaten to complain online first…then do it if they don’t act (or even if they do act, we love this stuff)

Doesn’t every state have a process of filing a demand letter? Using a demand letter that needs a writen reply (else, see you in court) is a good one.

And don’t forget your congressman — works particularly well with highly regulated businesses like cable cos, banks, cellular service, etc

2. Bourque77 says:

Why bother with the better business bureau? More often or not they are going to side with the big companies anyway. Your time is better spent calling the attorney general or twiddling your thumbs than bothering with the bbb.

3. Coronagold says:

Or you could just forget about that friggin 100 cents you lost and take a goddamn vacation already, not that it’ll positively adjust your lifelong inbred anal retentive attitude any.

4. baxiejack says:

Write the CEO? Come on I had a complaint not that long ago to a State University I attended and the President I emailed didn’t even give a shit, nor did the counselor, or the admissions office etc… As far as I am concerned the only satisfaction attainable (with regard to complaints) comes in the actual act of Pissing and Moaning because most people we complain to just dont care. The best solution is obviously to take a deep breath and GET OVER IT since the customer is no longer always right.

5. ultra1bob says:

My business is a member of the better business bureau, and I’ve used them on several occasions. Quick summary: They’re almost useless. They forward your complaint to the other company, and maybe send you the company’s reply. that’s it. Useless.

One long distance carrier slammed me and in spite of complaints to the BBB and FCC, I got nowhere.

6. persch5 says:

From my experience as a retail manager I found that the best results gained from me were when customers didn’t come in with the attitude that they were deserving of me bending over backwards for them. You wouldn’t believe how many people would come in and say, “I drove from X, and this is a total waste of my time, so what are you going to do for me?”

Don’t come in looking to fight cuz if that is the case, I’ve been training all day with all the 16 year old kids I manage, and I fight back. Kill me with kindness and I will do the same in return.

7. Ben Popken says:

@Coronagold: @baxiejack: Are you sure you guys are at the right site?

8. ibelli says: