Verizon Beats Cingular/AT&T To Become Nation's Largest Wireless Carrier

According to market research firm IDC, Verizon has moved past AT&T/Cingular as the nation’s number one wireless carrier. From Information Week:

“Verizon became the new market leader in terms of total direct retail subscribers/customers, with a total of 56.8 million, against 56.3 million for Cingular,” said IDC’s Julien Blin in a statement.

Meanwhile, Sprint is losing customers due to its general ineptitude. —MEGHANN MARCO

Verizon Regains Lead In Wireless Subscribers; Sprint Gets Some Good News [Information Week]

Comments

1. mopar_man says:

How is Verizon #1 with all the negative press it’s getting lately? I’ve hardly heard a bad thing about Alltel.

2. oldbluebox says:

Actually Verizon has the least amount of churn. Meaning that it actually KEEPS it’s customers.

Now I sell phones and I don’t have Verizon personally but we sell all the cellphone carriers and Verizon has always been the least returned.

3. Meatloaf says:

We’ll see what happens when the iPhone is released with AT&T in June. When Verizon customers find out that they can end their contract without cancellation fees due to the increase in the text message rates, it’s going to put AT&T back in the lead.

4. Tush says:

What I don’t like about Verizon is their use of CDMA. Cingular/ATT use GSM which lets me take my phone to just about any country. All I have to do is slip in a SIM card.

I really dislike the control CDMA gives providors. The consumers’ rights should be held first, not the corporations’.

5. Roundonbothends says:

“It’s the NETWORK.”

6. AcidReign says:

…..Well, hell. I was hoping I was going to get to play classic Mortal Combat on my work Bat-phone!

…..Down-up-PUNNNNCH! “Get OOOOVER here!” /roundhouse kick…

7. craiggers says:

@Meatloaf: The window to getting out ended on March 1. Whoever is there now is stuck there until Verizon decides to hike the data rate or some other charge. ’tis only a matter of time…

8. aikoto says:

That’s not really that surprising considering that AT&T is involved in spying and, even worse, when it was discovered, their response was to change their privacy policy to say that they own all your data and can do what they want with it.

I hope they go out of business.

9. oldbluebox says:

@AcidReign:

It’s actually back-forward punch.

10. mdot says:

“Verizon Regains Lead In Wireless Subscribers; Sprint Gets Some Good News”

Okay, I understand the title, but what was the good news for Sprint?

The last two paragraphs sound like bad news to me, and I can’t think of a more deserving company for that kind of “good news”.

@AcidReign:
    I always choose to finish up the move with the uppercut (down, punch) rather than a roundhouse, personally.

11. brattpowered says:

This is probably due to the fact that Verizon is a reliable provider, and everyone I know (including myself) who has had them has stuck with them and been happy to stay with them.

12. myth90045 says:

I have verizon. im sticking with them more now after getting the 9400 and mobile tv. I was thinking of switching to cing for the iphone but having the 9400 the iphone cant hold a candle to it, imo.
    with alltel, they dont service the whole country. when their commercials first came out, I considered going with them. But when I put my zip code it, the site said they dont service my area. so there went alltel.
    verizon also is getting the new blackberry that has both cdma and gsm if you are so inclined have verizon and take it with you out of the country. for me, i have an unlocked phone waiting in the wings just in case i get to go overseas.

13. CLShortFuse says:

Cingular ended 2006 with 61 million and Verizon with 59.1 million. This is just talking about direct retail subscribers. Cingular has a big chunk of the government and major businesses.

Verizon had 56.8 million retail subscribers and Cingular had 56.3 retail subscribers at the end of 2006. This isn’t saying that NOW Verizon has more customers, because it doesn’t, but at the end of 2006, Verizon had more “general public” subscribers than Cingular. We still have to wait until Q1 2007 Reports to see who’s in the lead at the moment.

14. Nygdan says:

I allways find the situation with Verizon and AT&T somewhat ironic, since Verizon is one of the Baby Bells, all grown up.

As far as the iPhone making a difference, it’ll have fad appeal, but really, its just a phone that can play music, and do a little computing. The most ‘revolutionary’ thing about it is that it has a ‘big’ screen. And since its going to cost, what, $1k (as I beleive I read on other COnsumerist articles?), who’s really going to go for it? Especially since so many already have iPods?

15. Calliope says:

Uh, for the record…if anyone’s thinking of canceling their contract due to the text messaging increase, you only have (for most wireless carriers who participated in the increase) 60 days from the date of the increase (or for some carriers 60 days from the date you received notification of the increase…yes, they keep tabs on what they sent you and when) to cancel for that reason, otherwise you’re stuck again.

Just FYI.