Downtown Chicago Quiznos Infested With… Coyotes?

Meet Adrian, the Quiznos coyote. After wandering in through the open door of a Quiznos located in Chicago’s Loop, Adrian the coyote set up shop inside the beverage cooler. From ABC7Chicago:

Of course, it’s a bit odd that a coyote would seek refuge in a Quiznos sandwich, but that’s what Adrian did, strolling east on Adams in the post-lunch crowd. He walked in the front door that had been propped open because of the warm weather. He settled into the beverage cooler after unsuccessfully trying to vault the counter.

“It did not growl. It did not make any sounds. It just tried to get in. Apparently it was scared and tried to shelter itself,” said Ray Zavalas, Quiznos employee.

For 40 minutes, he sat there quite passive — next to the Gatorade — a sort of odd celebrity, as dozens of passersby came to see the coyote who came to dinner and take pictures with their cell phones. Imagine what Mr. Coyote thought about all this attention.

Adrian the Quiznos coyote has since been captured and is scheduled for relocation to a refuge for displaced urban coyotes. Unfortunately for Adrian, there are no toasted subs available at his new home. —MEGHANN MARCO

Coyote captured in Loop to be set free (With Video and Slide Show) [ABC7Chicago]

Comments

1. Esquire99 says:

I think it is hilarious that a Coyote got all the way Downtown, to the OTHER side of the loop without a cop or Animal Control officer spotting it. I suppose if you’re from the city, you might not be able to recognize that it’s a Coyote and not just a dog, but it’s still pretty crazy it got that far east (I’m assuming it came from the west and didn’t swim across the lake). Perhaps Quizno’s should be proud it went to their store rather than a Subway…

2. That sure is a handsome coyote. I had no idea they looked so cool. He can come hang out at my office any time.

3. kerry says:

Coyotes get all sorts of places in the city without people noticing. One got stuck in the river a couple years ago, another was found wandering around Lincoln Park Zoo. I saw one in Evanston running along the Metra tracks. People think they’re stray dogs and ignore them, even cops aren’t necessarily going to pay close attention. Plus, these are fairly stealthy critters, he probably didn’t walk down the middle of the sidewalk.
    And, yeah, they’re pretty cool looking.

4. Schminteresting says:

“Of course, it’s a bit odd that a coyote would seek refuge in a Quiznos sandwich, but that’s what Adrian did, strolling east on Adams in the post-lunch crowd.”

I wonder if he sought refuge in the Sierra Smoked Turkey or the Double Stack Pastrami?

5. quagmire0 says:

My sources say it was the NEW PRIME RIB ON TOASTED GARLIC BREADâ„¢!

6. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

I think he was just lured in by the promise of getting double the meat of a Subway sandwich..

7. emax4 says:

Perhaps there was an unseen chapter in Quizno’s Franchise manual that mentioned “Wandering animals tend to make good PR for the press”.

8. faust1200 says:

Predatory wild animal+food+people= fun!!!

9. oudemia says:

I was walking my dog in Andersonville (5400 north), when I spotted what I thought was some yuppie’s dog wandering around without a leash. As I got closer, I realized that this “dog” had that light, loping gait of a wild animal and not somebody’s housepet. I stopped, passing cars slowed, and all eyes were on Wile E. He just trotted on past without a glance at any of his rapt admirers. He turned up on the news that in Uptown.

10. I saw a red fox smack dab in the middle of downtown Denver once.

Maybe it’s because of all the rabbits in my neighborhood.

11. Dustbunny says:

Where was the Roadrunner when all this was happening? Chilling out at a Subway?

12. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I’ll take a Quiznos full of coyotes over a Taco Bell full of rats any day.

I sense an Quiznos advertisement coming out of all this…not that they need one, since you just can’t pay for this kind of publicity :D

13. CumaeanSibyl says:

@dwayne_dibbly: Hey, why not combine the two? You could get the coyote to take care of the rat problem.

14. Yozzie says:

Maybe he was hunting one of those weird guinea pig things from the ads a few years back.

I don’t know about Wile E. here, but I’d have gone for a Jimmy John’s.

15. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

@CumaeanSibyl: There you go..problem solved!

16. Chongo says:

The Sun times article quotes the manager saying “It must be our Prime rib!”… that guy deserves a raise for tying in the new sandwich.

BTW the article also states that the last coyote sighting was in Union Station about 3 years ago.

17. infinitysnake says:

@bradg33: Maybe, but shit happens. I once saw a wolf, of all things, outside a Burger King drive through, in the suburbs.

18. aiken says:

Wow — I know that a bunch of cows are a herd, and that a bunch of fish are a school, and that a bunch of crows are a murder… but I had no idea that a single coyote was an infestation. You learn something new every day, I guess. I hope whoever writes these headlines sees their doctor soon; hyperventilating on such a regular basis can’t be healthy.

19. William C Bonner says:

I wonder how much the rat population in Chicago is controlled by the coyote population.

20. LLH says:

aw..saw the video of this on the news last night. he has this look like “what?” and then “man, was THIS a huge mistake. i’m in tra-ha-ble now.” at least the coyotes in chicago don’t look like the ones here in LA – 3am in sherman oaks and those dudes are like crackheads and will stare your ass down! then trot away saying “yea, thats what i thought be-otch!”

21. kimsama says:

This was all a misunderstanding. The coyote was just trying to find the bathroom so he could shoot himself in the chest a few times.

22. poornotignorant says:

@Chongo: Tonight on the news the Quiznos guys were shown giving a prime rib sandwich to the coyote at the animal shelter.

23. rockergal says:

here is an idea, lets tear down more woods and build more cookie-cutter houses so that more wild animals get displaced and get in situations like this.

24. EtherealStrife says:

@LLH: LOL yea those are the kind I’m used to. I live in the suburbs in an area swarming with bunnies. Which the coyotes love to snack on (the only part they leave is the cotton tail). They’ll just stop and stare you down until you get off their street. My friend has a shih tzu and was walking her around dusk. A coyote calmly walked up to the two of em and attempted to take off with the dog in its mouth. It didn’t notice the ethnic beater (4D maglite) directed at its skull. Well, not until too late. :)

This coyote looks like somebody’s pet, it’s so clean, gorgeous, and people-friendly.

25. CaptainRoin says:

@rockergal: i totally agree! those forests will never know what hit them! so, where do you live?

26. rockergal says:

@CaptainRoin: I live in a tiny City (barely on the map) in PA.
    It used to be a gorgeous area until everyone started building in the country. now you are lucky if you can walk five minutes in the woods without being in someone’s back yard.

27. madktdisease says:

@rockergal:

i like your style. YAY UNSUSTAINABILITY! i friggin haate those things. if you have the money for those, you have the money to live in a city, or at least in a house that’s already built in the burbs. my parents did that, and i’m embarrased.

and before someone jumps on me, i live in the oldest seaport in the country. my street’s been there since the 1800’s (possibly 1700’s or earlier). although i’m sure at the time it displaced some really angry-ass seagulls. and perhaps indians. yay america.

28. rockergal says:

@madktdisease:
    your house sounds as old as mine, mine used to be a still/speak-easy during prohibition!
    as for the seagulls, I’m sure that they took their revenge with their bad-ass pooping skills :-)

29. philosobrat says:

It probably has Parvovirus, which is why it was being lethargic and seeking a cool place. They said it refused the food at the shelter (need I outline how dumb it was to have the door of the cage open, especially with food present?!). Under normal conditions it would be snarling and posturing more. The pictures showed some apathetic attempts at a “challenge stare” on its part. Something is wrong with it.

Great media blitz for the shelter, but really tempting fate if you ask me.

30. @bradg33: Coyotes are already living in the Loop, they suspect down along the riverfront under bridges and things, scavenging Loop dumpsters for highly nutritious garbage. So he probably didn’t have to go too far at all.

Chicago’s downtown coyotes have LEARNED TO CROSS WITH THE LIGHT.

I can’t help feeling humanity is doomed when the coyotes have learned how crossing signals work.

31. faust1200 says:

@madktdisease: St. Augustine?

32. madderhatter says:

Poor little guy. At least they did the right thing and didn’t kill him like a lot of asses would have. One of the funnier things we had happen in Anchorage was when a very young Moose decided he wanted to walk in and check out part of a hospital.

short video

33. Nygdan says:

Coyote’s seem to be encroaching on human habits quite a bit. It’s possible that they are simply adapting to this new, urban, environment. Some animal populations are going to have to adapt to it, seems like generalists like coyotes would fit right in.