City Council Threatens To Fine Comcast $200 A Day For Not Picking Up The Phone

Another city is irked at their cable provider for not living up to the requirements of their franchise agreement. The city of College Park, MD (population 24,657) has proposed a letter threatening Comcast with fines of $200 a day if Comcast doesn’t improve the time it takes to answer the phone. “It’s stupid to try to call them,” said Jack Perry, a city council member who claims he once waited 35 minutes for Comcast to answer his call. “Nobody answers the phone.”

Comcast claims the city council’s data includes calls that were not only outside of normal business hours. They also claim the calls were placed during a “statistical anomaly” in which Comcast received more calls than usual due to having recently raised rates. —MEGHANN MARCO

Council May Impose Files On Comcast [Diamondback Online]
(Photo: Sister72)

Comments

1. mattbrown says:

$200/day what? are they sueing me? Should be more like $200 per every customer affected.

2. segfault, registered cat offender says:

Really… At $200 a day, it’s cheaper for them to just pay the fine.

3. RHazlett says:

Oh, the best part is waiting on the phone listening to their ads without them telling you how long the hold time will be or even offering to phone you when you’re next in line. It really gives you some time to sit and think about all the bad choices you’ve made in life…namely signing up with Comcast.

4. RetroChristal says:

Gah. Time Warner is the same way. Ask me about my three week attempt to get my cable fixed. They installed it for the first time 3 weeks ago. Tonight I’m asking my landlord if we can have DirectTV install a dish.

What I want to know is when will LA sue Time Warner as well.

5. OnceWasCool says:

I used to call Charter Cable every now and then just to hear the recording.. “We are aware of outages in your area and we are working on it…”! :)

Dish Network Rocks

6. tvh2k says:

[In reference to photograph]

I think they misspelled “ordinance”. By the way, in case anyone is interested in link to the actual ordinance, it’s available here:

7. Pelagius says:

Outside working hours where? Bangalore?

8. PhilK says:

“They also claim the calls were placed during a “statistical anomaly” in which Comcast received more calls than usual due to having recently raised rates.”

Has anyone ever called their cable/telco provider when they weren’t experiencing “Higher than normal call volumes”? I’m pretty sure that it says that every single time I’ve called, right along with “Our menu options have changed”.

9. Roosh says:

go terps!

10. Yozzie says:

@tvh2k – they may be referring to a Nude Bomb.