Verizon: Watch Non-Recordable TV On A Tiny Screen For $15 A Month

Wow, what a deal. For only $15 dollars a month, you too can watch “eight channels with a mix of live and delayed programming from CBS, FOX, NBC Entertainment, NBC News, Comedy Central, ESPN, MTV, Nickelodeon,” on your cellphone. The Chicago Tribune says,

I watched on the LG phone and was struck by the video’s sharpness and detail — it felt as if I were watching a miniature HDTV. Under an overcast sky, the screen wasn’t that viewable, and on sunny days, forget it. But in a car or on a bus or indoors, reception and clarity were great.

Watching TV in cars makes us revisit our last meal, so we’ll pass. —MEGHANN MARCO

Verizon puts your TV in your pocket [Chicago Tribune]

Comments

1. shiftless says:

A small price to pay to never be left alone with your thoughts for a single moment ever!

2. IC18 says:

Havent these been out in Japan for a while now? Anyhows I am sure that $15 enatails 30% of programming and 70% of advertisement. I’ll stick with my I-pod video.

3. Lewis says:
  4. Rahnee says:

I bought a 30g v-iPod last year. The video function I find almost useless. Such a small screen and in bright lights you cant see it well. I can only imagine watching tv on your phone. Another useless technology. Now maybe if verizon implanted the screens in your eyeball the screen would look much larger but then what would happen if you didn’t pay your bill?

5. TinaB says:

Yesss, yet another thing for idiots in rush hour to be distracted by!

6. junkmail says:

LewisNYC, that’s what I was going to say. Why pay a monthly fee when you can buy a Slingbox and watch anything anywhere? That’s including your DVR programs, cable, movie channels, etc.etc.

Just got mine the other day, and I LOVE it.

(my name is junkmail, and I’m an idiot-box addict)

7. brooklynbs says:

Yea, I don’t really “get” devices like this. Small screen, expensive service, limited content, and performance issues depending on the environment. It doesn’t sound like a product with any upside.

A world of numbskulls is in the making.

8. mmm tasty little ripoff of the appletv website there on the device’s screen. delicious.

9. Triteon says:

I am constantly amazed by the trends in screen size: Fill-the-wall and Wasn’t-this-cool-on-Dick-Tracy?

10. John Stracke says:

@Rahnee:

They’d feed on your vitreous jelly. BWAHAHAHAHA!

Ahem. Anyway. The people who are trying to get TV onto cellphones are clearly trying to take market share away from portable TVs. Portable TVs were introduced in the 1980s, and have proven to be enormously popular, with billions of dollars in sales last year…

…on The Planet Of The Marketing Zombies.

11. FierceDeityLink1 says:

If it wasn’t on Qualcomm’s proprietary network (MediaFLO), and thereby require new hardware (and the honking-large antenna), this may have worked out. Though, Sprint has had their live-TV service for a couple years now and I have never seen anyone using it. Might as well just buy a portable/handheld TV and get channels off the ol’ VHF/UHF.

I must say, though, I subscribe to VCast for $15/month because it provides legit WAP access and unlimited data transfer with MMS and web.

12. Lewis says:

@junkmail: Yeah, I worry about the long-term success of this service, particularly at $15/month. Slingbox lets you “sling” YOUR TV – not the walled garden which VZW offers through its licensing deals.

I do expect it to be successful in the near-term however, as the store reps will have a relatively easy upsell: “Ma’am, wouldn’t you like to be able watch TV while waiting doing X? All right from your phone?”

Verus the Slingbox, which only works on WM (and now in beta, Palm) devices in the mobile world – and therefore not yet available to Joe Consumer.

13. Bay State Darren says:

This is an completely impractical, overpriced, dangerous (people will use it while driving, guaranteed), DRM-crippled, annoying, untested, new technology that will IMHO prove to be quite buggy when massively deployed.

Because of this, it will fail and no one will buy it. People are smarter than that. (Yes, I’m being sarcastic, unfortunately.)

14. John Stracke says:

@LewisNYC:

A pitch which will be more attractive the longer they’ve made you wait.

15. 2Legit2Quit says:

I harked over waiting for this phone to arrive, but finally caved in and bought a Samsung u740. I love the phone to death, but today I just called and called Vcast vPak because watching the videos is an eyesore and on the train or bus, trying to hold a steady hand while watching just sounds like a feat in itself.

I couldn’t fathom spending $15 a month to watch mediocre TV choices in only a select few cities.

Slingbox is nice, the only issue is the fact that only Smartphones can get it. Verizon’s data plans are atrociously expensive.

16. Employees Must Wash Hands says:

@FierceDeityLink1:

I bought a Sprint EVDO handset last year and got a month of the TV package for free. For the “Oh hey, TV on the phone” factor, it was cool.

After about twenty minutes of that, it boiled down to “Oh hey, it’s just TV on the phone” and so I canceled the service.

17. virgilstar says:

@LewisNYC:
    Why even buy a slingbox? Just download ORB, run it on your PC (includes a DVR), and then stream to your treo or other browser-enabled phone.