Target Giddy Over Walmart's New York Defeat

It’s not just certain “snobby” New Yorkers that are happy about Walmart giving up on their plans to open a Manhattan store, Target is pleased as well. From Women’s Wear Daily:

The Minneapolis-based retailer views Wal-Mart’s move as “an opportunity,” but will take its time to find the right space at the right price, Jim Hogan, Target’s group vice president for New England stores, told M.B.A. candidates at Harvard Business School on Sunday.

Target is already alive and well in New York City, but has not yet made the move to Manhattan. —MEGHANN MARCO

Target Sees Opportunity in City as Wal-Mart Puts Manhattan on Back Burner [WWD]
(Photo: moriza)

PREVIOUSLY:
Walmart Gives Up: No Stores For New York City

Comments

1. I was under the impression that Target was slated to open a store in the retail development that’s going up at 116th and the East River. No?

2. kimdog says:

I had always heard the rumor that they were eyeing the vacant lot across from Port Authority at 8th and 42nd.

3. Scazza says:

Anyone wanna explain to a non-new yorker what the hoopla is over walmart and new york? Are they just eyeing the best spot? Or are they not allowed or something?

4. Gari N. Corp says:

What Target desperately needs in Brooklyn is some decent competition. Whenever I mention the hellhole that is the Atlantic Center store, I’m told that the ones in the suburbs are much nicer. These would be the same suburbs where there are legions of other big box stores waiting to f*** up Target’s sh*t. Not happening in Brooklyn, beyond the CostCo located a bit further south.

5. Queso says:

Southlake, TX and their city council voted to kick wal-mart out of town so they rebuilt in the town that I lived in at the time. A circuit city was built in it’s place in Southlake.

6. Falconfire says:

@Scazza: Actually its not just NYC, and Bullshit did a excellent episode devoted to this very topic.

Basically, a lot of places are equating Walmart for the death of the mom and pop shops, and for their non-union practices and forcing of companies to lower their prices. The Bullshit piece though showed a lot of the critics for what they where (completely misinformed, completely lying, or completely idiotic)

While Walmart does do some dirty and idiotic things that they have been punished for in the past, they are a business and they are out to make money, not to right social ills. The funny thing was, many people point to Walmarts low wages as being the biggest evil of the company, yet their average wage is over ten dollars, which is well more than Sears Target and Best Buy. Likewise 90% of all mom and pop stores who die, do so because of their own mismanagement and not because Wallyworld did it to them. As Penn pointed out about his own hometown who defeated a Walmart from coming in, the mom and pops still died, and the closest Walmart was over a hour away. There is high doubt that they died because people would rather drive 2 hours to a Walmart than to go around the corner to get their medicine.

While I wouldnt say Walmarts a saint by any means (um hi flog, as in what I would have done to the ad company who even humored such a stupid idea), many of the politicians and action groups behind a lot of their trashing recently have been shown to be directly linked to major Unions (and being paid thousands or even millions to use their influence to help the union), or to have a vested interest in preventing Wallyworld from coming in, and not because anything they do is really wrong.

7. SpecialK says:

Awww, thanks FalconFire. Now I don’t have to sound like a Wal-Mart shill when I point out the hypocrisy and stupidity of the NYC anti-Wal-Mart crowd. All Hail Target!!! And it’s non-unionized word-force. And it’s wage slaves. And it’s part-timers. And it’s empty fricking shelves because it can’t keep the store properly stocked!!! (Which is the same problem K-mart has in Manhattan … and probably the same problem Wal-Mart would have. It’s just damn hard for a big-box discounter to keep the damn items on the shelves what with the logistical nightmare of shipping in and out of New York)

8. Spider Jerusalem says:

whats wrong with part-timers? I may sound naive, but my sister worked at Target for a summer part-time,cause she was like, 15, which is the average age of a Target employee, as far as I can tell.

9. Squeezer99 says:

good point Falconfire. Reminds meof back on the 2004 campaign trail, john edwards was having a walmart protest at the next door barnes and noble in some city. The Irony? The walmart next doors starting wage was 7.50/hr while the barnes and noble was 7.00/hr.

10. Scazza says:

@Falconfire: Thanks for the info mate. So is it public voted that keeps walmart out, or is it a ruling by the state/city?

11. scottso says:

Weird. Even though the headline says it, the article really didn’t make Target seem “giddy.” “Overhyped?” Maybe that should be the next headline.

12. orielbean says:

Actually, to you people who tout the over 10.00 an hour for an average wage – that is NOT a MEDIAN wage, but the average of CEO and executives + everyone else. SO, 18k a year and 20mil a year will probably work out to 10 an hour. Please stop using that talking point in regards to walmart and a living wage. Not cool at all.

Median wage is the average of the most number of employees, which I imagine is very low vs 10.00 an hour. Just b/c you don’t like union stoppages doesn’t mean that they don’t fight for a little human decency.

13. matt1978 says:

Does anybody know the median wage if you work PT at a mom n pop? I would imagine it’s not close to $10.

14. Falconfire says:

@orielbean: Let me just shut you up right here.

They where not counting saleried workers, only hourly, which shuts you up right there since that means managers, CEO’s and everyone else you where saying makes the average DIDNT get counted in.

And I never said all Unions where wrong, I happen to be a member of one. But even I am ready to admit the system of Unions needs a SERIOUS overhaul these days. Its become a industry onto it’s self

15. facted says:

@englishmajormoney: I believe so, as their name is on the sign of the property when you drive by on the FDR.

16. forgeten says:

according to this site around 10$ seems to the the median.

and targets: higher in some areas and lower in others

what does this prove? nothing I just thought it was neat.

@Falconfire: in regards to the bullshit ep. the folks who were making those anti-walmart t-shirts were horrid people. Along with that guy defending sweatshops, I’m sorry there is a difference between low wage jobs and sweatshop labour.

17. Blowfish says:

Walmart is a business. They are best at what they do and thats why people hate them. Of course the success of Walmart means mom and pops failing around the country. Is its Walmart’s fault that smaller shops can’t compete with their distribution system or pricing? Your kid does much better academically than mine. Is it your fault my kid doesn’t make it into his college of choice? Your kid did raise the bar. The success of Walmart is no different. They didn’t start out as retail powerhouse. It started with one franchise. Sam Walton’s business plan is what made the corporations what it is today. Most people have know idea how many jobs quality jobs Walmart creates. Nor do they know of the opportunities available. Now that Walmart is out of the picture, New Yorkers can continue to pay higher prices than the rest of the country.

18. Falconfire says:

You missed the whole point of what he was saying about sweatshops then.

The point was, they where making more money there than in the industries they would have been in, which consisted of manual labor in the fields, or underage sex slaves.

Given a choice, I too would be a sweatshop worker.

You just cant compare our enlightened attitudes to those of the rest of the world. The US for years relied on sweatshop labor as well, but we where able to pull ourselves away from it eventually. People forget that fact, that for hundreds of years in this country, most children where put to work at the age of 7.

I actually have a very good knowledge of what goes on in the “sweatshops” out in china, as I play a video game that actually has a problem with “Chinese money sellers” who work out of sweatshops to make millions of in game currency to sell to stupid Americans. They don’t look at it as a bad job, in fact they love it in some cases, because it lets them better provide for their family’s than working the field ever could. Many of their family members also work at those clothes shops and electronics manufacturing plants, and also enjoy their work. Its hard work yes, but they are also not spoiled by our lazy attitudes.

Yes you look at it as “slave wages” but you also forget that what equals a days salary in the US would be worth millions in these countries. We have a VERY inflated economy here, adjust that to other countries, and most of us are making just as much as they are.

Its not defending anything, yeah it sucks, but the fact is non-third world residents are spoiled rotten assholes who to steal a South Park line are too “smug” for their own good, you and me included.

19. forgeten says:

@Falconfire: I am by no means suggesting that we pay workers in 3rd world countries our min. wage , the cost of living is lower there and in real wages they would be paid , like you said , a million dollars. Nor am I saying that they shouldn’t be expected to work hard.

What I am saying is the belief that some how countries must go through this period of time where the worker is put into unsafe working environments , due to negligence of the employer not the nature of the work , as some sort of right of passage is just silly. I don’t think them having basic rights in epz’s (export processing zones) is too much to ask. Especially when they are given to the rest of the country in most cases. That is want I am mainly concerned about and I am by no means saying Wal-mart is the only company that does this . And just like in the 80’s when people would divest from companies that dealt with South Africa I think its perfectly ok to hold Wal-Mart and etc accountable.

20. Falconfire says:

But how do you measure unsafe? To put it in perspective, many of these “sweatshops” have armed guards at the gate, not to keep people in, but to keep armed robbers OUT. Many have housing on premises for simular reasons, not because they dont want these people to go home, but because they will likely be robbed or killed because their salary paltry as it is is usually 3-4 dollars more than the people who work the fields or who whore out 8 year olds as slaves.

It seems harsh to us simply because we are so used to a cushy way of life. For these people though, this IS a cushy way of life, and by holding companies accountable, all you end up doing is taking away these jobs from people who where lucky enough to get them. I once asked a guy in the game I played why he would play farm away for 12 hours like that, since there was no way what he was doing was fun by any means. He told me in broken english flat out why, because he can support his family better than his dad can by slaving away, and because of that his sister could actually go to a real school, and not worry about supporting the family.

Granted he was playing a game vs sewing or building iPods, but its still very much the same kind of work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho5Yxe6UVv4