Pet Food Recall Expands To DelMonte Dry Food

Del Monte issued a voluntary recall for several kinds of dry pet food, expanding the scope of the contaminated pet food recall crisis. Recalled brands included Jerky Treats, Pounce Meaty Morsels, Gravy Train Beef Sticks, and certain dog snack and wet dog food products.

Once again, the culprit appears to be wheat gluten imported from overseas. Pet owners are advised to read the label carefully and, as a precaution, avoid any product made with wheat gluten, and especially those with gravy sauce.

As an alternative, consider making meals for your pets (see books like Real Food for Cats, or Real Food For Dogs), or letting them outside to catch and devour the flesh of small animals. — BEN POPKEN

Del Monte Recall Press Release

PREVIOUSLY:
How To Contact Menu Foods Executives, Makers Of Rat-Poisoned Pet Food
BREAKING: Rat Poison Found In Recalled Pet Food
Woman Buys $1,000 In Tainted Pet Food At Walmart
Recalled Pet Food Still On Walmart Shelves
Massive Pet Food Recall After Animal Deaths

Comments

1. nffcnnr says:

All pet foods made by Menu Foods are hereby BANNED!!! in my household. That’ll teach ‘em.

2. Overturf says:

I strongly recommend anyone feeding their pets anything purchased from a Wal-Mart, Target, etc. and their own vets (Science Diet, etc….vets are paid to push this stuff, much like docs pushing particular meds) to get educated quickly on what you should feed your pets. That stuff is garbage.

You can go the raw route or make your own food, but there’s a simpler solution:

Buy quality pet food.

You will feed your animal less, they will have less health problems…the inital higher costs are offset by a huge boost in quality of life.

I recommend Innova Raw for Dogs and Innova Raw for Cats. Chicken Soup, Canidae, Innova, and Solid Gold are good choices…there are others.

Look for pet food that’s sold in specialty feed stores, stuff with meat (real meat, not by-product) as its first three or four ingredients. Stay away from wheat and corn, it’s straight poison over the long term.

3. MercuryPDX says:

The only problems I have with a B.A.R.F. (Bones And Raw Food) diet are the huge amount of prep time it takes, and the amount of shopping you wind up doing.

It’s a huge time-suck.

4. dieman says:

There is always foods like Solid Gold, that should be well sourced enough to avoid these issues.

We personally use Royal Canin for our cat, which has a statement on their website saying there are no investigations into their food and that they are categorically not involved in the recall situation. I guess they had a recall last year for too much vitamin D3 in some of their foods, though.

5. CumaeanSibyl says:

NaturaPet foods are also good — I feed my cat Innova EVO because it’s grain-free, and now I’m doubly glad of that. Though these high-end foods are pricey, you actually don’t spend that much more money in the long run because, without grain fillers and “byproduct meal” and that kind of crap, your pet won’t have to eat as much food to get the nutrition it needs.

Plus it makes the litterbox smell a lot less. :)

6. This recall may be the first ever reason that I am glad that my allergy afflicted dog has to eat ridiculously expensive special food to keep him from breaking out in hives.

A $75 dollar bag of food may suck but a dead dog would suck even more.

7. madktdisease says:

We use, and love, Canidae. It’s typically $35 at a local shop for a 40LB bag, which isn’t much more than other brands. They also suggest that you mix with rice, which we do occasionally. The BARF thing is just too much effort.

8. zl9600 says:

I am not so sure even the best foods are immune here. Look at the list on Menu Foods’ original recall. Eukanuba? I understand it’s a mass market product, but it’s known to be a high end food.

Also, Hill’s is one of the top foods available. Recalled last week.

What I don’t understand is why we don’t know (FDA nor Menu Foods will tell us) the name of the company in China that has supplied this gluten, and to whom they have sold it. Are we just supposed to wait for shoes to drop day after day? The powers-that-be should be compelling them to share this information. Not like we can go picket over there (I recall a picture of a guy and a tank from a couple decades ago). But at least we could know their customers to whom they’ve sold and stop buying their products.

This is why I am angry at Menu Foods. They could have been more proactive and they could share the name of their supplier. Now.

Further, I hope this is what gets us to tougher regulation of the pet food industry. It seems from everything I read it’s basically a free-for-all. Given the fact that pets are classified ‘personal property’ and thus not subject to the huge damage lawsuit awards, companies like Menu Foods don’t have much to worry about when they sell us poisoned food.

To date, Menu Foods is still not admitting wrongdoing, and only quietly paying vet bills, but apparently you have to prove that it’s their food, conclusively. Barf.

And lest I pick on Menu Foods, now that Del Monte and Hills and others are likely purchasers of this crap, I guess it’s up to us to not buy any wheat gluten in any pet food, no matter how fancy the name, it’s not a sign of safety.

9. JohnMc says:

Ben,

Suggesting, ” or letting them outside to catch and devour the flesh of small animals.” is really a bad idea even in jest. Feral cats in many areas are devasting ground level nesting bird populations.

Just an observation….

10. curlyheatherg says:

I also wholeheartedly endorse the Innova EVO cat food. Our picky cat loves it, no grain products. It can be kind of a pain in the ass to find as hippie pet food places go in and out of business, but it is worth it (especially now). That being said, we were also giving her Pounce as a treat. *sigh*

11. pinkbunnyslippers says:

My cat’s prescription food was recalled the other day and now I’ve got to go have her blood drawn this week. The vet claims that it was just the wheat gluten in her particular food, but should I be avoiding ANY wheat gluten in general, from ANY brand?

If anyone can advise, I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

12. Little Mintz Sunshine says:

Be sure to read the comments section on REAL FOOD FOR CATS…looks like some of the recipes include ONIONS, which are bad for cats.

13. Welvis says:

Wait a minute, more importantly where did you get that painting of the Del Monte girl!? Why don’t they advertise like this anymore?

14. AcidReign says:

…..Welvis is right. Damn, she is hott! I love original recipe Del Monte stewed tomatoes, but who knew about this babe?!?

15. birdbrain says:

Eukanuba and Hill’s are NOT high-quality foods. The adult cat Eukanuba dry has chicken by-products listed twice in their ingredients – by-products are not a sign of good food!

I’ve also stopped feeding any food that is made at Menu – we were feeding Wellness and Innova wet, so we’ve switched to Merrick’s which is made at their own facility. This whole recall thing is really shady to me – first it was rat poison, then it was melamine – which is a breakdown product of detergents and sanitizers. Menu is insisting that the source of contamination is the wheat gluten from China but at this point it’s seeming like the wheat gluten is just a scapegoat.

I’m really angry at Menu’s reticence with their press releases. It seems like every announcement they make is on a Friday so it doesn’t get spread around, and they practically whisper each new statement. People aren’t finding out about new developments, and that could cost the lives of even more pets.

16. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

U.S. Blocks Wheat Gluten Linked to Pet Food Recall
    By REUTERS
    April 2, 2007
    Filed at 9:04 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Health officials have told import inspectors to detain wheat gluten shipments from a Chinese company identified as the supplier involved in a major recall of pet food.

A notice from the Food and Drug Administration directed inspectors to stop all wheat gluten imports from Xuzhou Anying Biologic Technology Development Company Ltd.

The FDA said wheat gluten supplied by the company to Menu Foods was found to contain melamine, a chemical used in plastics and fertilizers. Menu Foods has recalled 60 million cans and pouches of “cuts-and-gravy” style wet pet food sold under various brands after the deaths of 14 cats and dogs.

Melamine should not be in pet food, but its presence has not been confirmed as the cause of any pet sickness or death, the FDA said on Friday.

In an alert to import inspectors, the FDA told personnel to detain wheat gluten from the Chinese company until it had provided results of an investigation into melamine contamination and other information.

The notice was dated March 30 and posted on the FDA Web site at http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora-import-ia9926.html.

Other companies besides Menu Foods have recalled pet products because they received wheat gluten from the Chinese company.

Colgate-Palmolive Co. unit Hill’s Pet Nutrition Inc. recalled its Prescription Diet m/d Feline dry food, while Nestle SA’s Purina PetCare Co. recalled Alpo Prime Cuts in Gravy wet dog food with specific date codes.

Del Monte Pet Products recalled certain dog treats and wet food.

FDA officials told reporters on Monday there was no sign that wheat gluten contaminated with melamine has entered the human food chain.

“At this time, we can say there is no evidence” the gluten was used in food products for people,” said Michael Rogers of FDA’s Office of Regulatory Affairs.

Copyright 2007 Reuters Ltd.

17. jenbell64 says:

For those of us who are dedicated ‘parents’ of many furry children who eat out of dishes off of the floor, we’re all scared to death of losing ANY of our children!

Is this what our society has come to? Who cares if something may have contaminated pet food in my facility…no one will notice for a while, and we’ll still rake in our millions off the food we were still able to sell.

It makes me sick, and I will never again ‘take for granted’ that whatever food we choose off the shelves anymore is perfectly safe for my kids. I will be doing much more research from now on.

I will have many more children in my future, and I’ll be damned if one morsel of tainted crap ever makes it past my doorstep.

Anybody else feel the same?