How To: Sew A Button On The Right Way

On some level, we always knew there was a “right” way to sew a button on, but we did not know, nor did we ever care to find out what that right way was. Consequently, all buttons sewn on by us look odd. They don’t fall off because we use 14′ of thread to attach them, but they don’t exactly look great. Now, thanks to the internet, one can learn the proper way to attach a button with this helpful video.

It’s simultaneously easier and more difficult that our previous method of stitching madly through the button holes. Men in particular should watch this video and stop asking us females to sew buttons on your shirt. Many of us don’t have secret button knowledge. We just fake it so you’ll think we’re smart. —MEGHANN MARCO

[via Curbly & Threadbanger]

Comments

1. ElizabethD says:

Pretty good technique.

I make my first knot differently (hard to describe — after threading the needle, you roll a loop of thread or doubled thread over your finger so it kind of clumps up, slide it off, and pull. Otherwise, that’s the way I’ve sewn on zillions of buttons for zillions of years.

Get your needle and thread, guys, and GO!

2. Its not because we feel that females have secret knowledge. We ask because we want females involved with caring for us. It should be a compliment when a guy asks a girl to help him with something ‘girly’.

3. asherchang says:

thats so awesome… yet complex O_O

4. ViewFromHere says:

Manly men can sew on buttons — and iron too!

5. SimonGodOfHairdos says:

The best way to make sure you get the right amount of thread is to hold the spool in one hand in front of your shoulder (if you’re holding the spool in your right hand, then hold it up to your right shoulder). Then grab the end of the thread with your other hand, and extend it out all the way to the side. That way you have enough thread to double it up, and still get through the whole sewing process. The only other thing you should do is slide a pin underneath the loops of thread while stitching the button on, then you remove them when you’re about to wind around to make the shank. This ensures that there is enough room under the button for fabric to rest, this is useful because it is usually a person’s tendency to sew a button on too tightly, when in fact that is what makes it pop off.

That said, learning how to properly sew on a button was the most useful thing I learned in middle school, no joke.

6. acambras says:

My dad taught me to sew on buttons.

7. PDQ says:

I’ve always found the dry cleaner to be an excellent place to take clothes that are in need of buttons. The clothes need to be cleaned anyway and the cleaners have a much better selection of colored thread and buttons than I ever will.

Oh….and everything comes back pressed too – and without scorch marks! Yippee !!!

8. NeedsSalt says:

the name of this article should be “So What: Sew Buttons”

9. bbbici says:

For me, if a button falls off, the shirt goes in the garbage.

10. Lee451 says:

As a 47 year old guy, I have finally learned (via this article) how to sew a button on. In the past I have used dental floss (plain, mint, whatever was handy) to swe EVERYTHING. Ever try to break it?