Home Depot: This Faucet Costs $00.00

Reader RhoSinePhi writes:

I didn’t need a faucet, but I sure wish I did so I could argue with them on the price.

This was taken at a Home Depot in Tulsa last Saturday.

Sadly, the pricing mistake doesn’t carry over to the website, where the faucet is a cool $143.74. Maybe Tulsa has some sort of free faucet subsidy that we are unaware of. —MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. G says:

I guess some people aren’t happy unless they have something to argue about. That says more about them than it does Home Depot.

2. recently I bought about 30 square feet of granite from home depot to re-floor a bathroom in my condo… the price was advertised 63 cents a square foot with a clearance sign and there were exactly how many boxes i needed.

It rang up over 300 dollars and it only took about five minutes for a manager to override the price down.

I doubt they’d go for free on anything though.

3. AcidReign says:

…..That’s a Price-Fister faucet, too! What that means is that you’ll actually be able to buy parts for it when it messes up, unlike buying the store brand $30 faucet. Seems like all these new faucets are damned plastic, and teenagers will snap ‘em off constantly. If you’ve got old Crane or Kohler metal ones in your house, for God’s sake, keep ‘em! Those things never wear out, and they still make the washers!

4. SexCpotatoes says:

Photoshopped. The huge double zero is straight, and a little too bold, whereas the small double zeroes are slanted ever so slightly. The photo just doesn’t look right anyway, regardless of the “free” price.

5. RandomHookup says:

If it had been marked for $.01, you could have taken through the self-scanner.

6. FLConsumer says:

It’d be worth seeing if you could get it at that price or something reasonable. Don’t need one? Sell it on eBay and enjoy the profits.

7. kweee says:

I agree. This is obviously photoshopped, for the reasons stated by Mr. Potatoes. Also, think about it. Price tags don’t mount themselves. A real person had to put it up, and I hate to think that anybody in America failed math that bad that they don’t realize $00.00 = free = not a price at which Home Depot is fond of selling items.

8. JohnMc says:

Hmmm. Maybe the faucet does not COST $00.00 but its WORTH $00.00 because its junk?

9. Buran says:

Home Depot can’t spell either, if you read the rest of it carefully.

10. Ben Popken says:

@kweee, @SexCpotatoes: This is not obviously photoshopped. I gave it a run through this test. Maybe he used a macrofocus when he took it. Just because someone had to put it up, doesn’t mean they were actually looking at it. Lastly, I think the best reason why this is not photoshopped as, if you’re going to make a photoshop hoax, this is a rather mundane subject to pick.

11. ptkdude says:

@Buran:
    Actually, they spelled “pforever” “pfinish” and “pfunction” precisely how the manufacturer, Price Pfister, wants them to. Do you not recall their advertising slogan “The Pfabulous Pfaucet with the Pfunny Name”? (Christ, I watch too much TV)

12. Srewob21 says:

I work for The Home Depot. The font on the dollar sign and zeros is different than what is used at my store. I also did a SKU check and found that it was not on any sort of clearance in my district (Salem, Oregon).

Typically, an item will never go to zero… although one cent items are more common than you might think.

13. Ico Jones says:

This is a perfect example of a price that is so obviously not correct that no shopper has the right to expect the price to be honored. Come on now people!

14. Sudonum says:

Maybe that was the final price after sending in the 25 rebates?

15. getjustin says:

There are laws in most states stating that a store doesn’t have to sell you anything label for free. However, anything over that (including $.01) and they’re legally obligated to sell.

16. tadowguy says:

Home Depot annoyance: At my local HD, the cashiers have no ability to fix mis-labeled prices. So what they do is to tell you to pay the full price, walk out the front door, then walk back in and stand in the returns line. Then you have to “return” the item, and re-buy it. It’s obnoxious enough that I’ve let small amounts just slide.

17. Ico Jones says:

@getjustin: I dont think this is correct — I believe that there is a “common sense” test in most states that says if the item is so mispriced that any reasonable person would know the price is not correct, the store does not have to sell it to you.

18. icesatellite says:

KWEEE, SEXCPOTATOES, BEN POPKEN…. Speaking of noticing things, I’ve noticed that the “test” Ben refers to is found on a website where he is listed as the Editor. So this referral could be just be self-promotion on Ben’s part. In any case this makes Ben’s suggestion somewhat suspect.

Even so, if we look at the link on that site where Tim Matheson describes the test, we see a number of valid comments posted as to why this test is of limited use. Editing of the photo would be difficult to detect where there is a large amount of white space, which is exactly what we have near those zeros. Perhaps both Tim and Ben need to learn the basics of colour theory, and its basic axes of hue, saturation, and luminescence. In any case, Ben should have mentioned the suspected limitations of this “test” before recommending it.

That said, there are other factors in the image worth considering. Not only is Ben ignoring the previous comment that the the zeros are straight and bold (SEXCPOTATOES), but he seems to believe that this sign would be created, approved, and mounted without anybody noticing (KWEEE); that’s doubtful to say the least. And if the best reason to assume that it’s real is that it would be too “mundane” to fake, well, remember we have people who spend their whole weekends watching professional wrestling… and enjoying it…

We also heard that the font is different (SREWOB21), but that’s not all. If you look closely you will see the large zeros are clear with well-defined borders while the rest of the photo is slightly misfocused. Also, the white area around and within the large zeros is much “whiter” than the slightly grey colour of the rest of the poster.

Definitely photoshopped.