Bought a Song on iTunes? Don't Pay For it Twice

Until yesterday, iTunes users who bought a single song, and later decided they wanted the whole album, ended up paying for the same song twice. Not anymore!

Now, if you buy an album, you’ll get a discount of 99 cents for each song you’ve already purchased. Sounds fair.

Better still:

For a limited period of 90 days, Apple said it will make the “Complete My Album” offer retroactive to users who purchased tracks dating back to the launch of the iTunes Store four years ago.

The only catch: You have 180 days from the time of the original song purchase to “upgrade” to the album and get the discount. After 180 days you’re back to the old rules, paying twice for the music you already own. MARK ASHLEY

Apple iTunes offers ‘Complete My Album’ [Seattle Post-Intelligencer]
(Photo: Lazy_Lightning)

Comments

1. HearsMusic says:

Just tried it this morning and it worked beautifully. Depending on the album, there may be deals to be had as well…a few months ago I had bought seven tracks from the Del Amitri best-of collection Hatful of Rain, and bought the remaining ten songs for $3.06. Not too shabby.

2. juri squared says:

This is extra-nice considering that I’ve paid twice for an album with a single I really wanted. The single would be released first, and then I’d buy the album when it was released. Glad to know they’ve fixed this!

3. mac-phisto says:

it’s like you’re in my head. i swear i was wondering about this exact thing on the way to work today.

4. Matthew says:

I’ve fretted about this before, too. It’s a good policy, and I’m sure it will result in more iTunes sales.

5. kerry says:

A few years back I bought some individual tracks from incomplete albums on iTunes, then used the internets to get the remaining tracks. I should go get them legitimately now. Woo.

6. I’m very happy about this. They’re going to make a mint in the next week.

7. nffcnnr says:

But is the music still DRM-restricted by FairPlay? Yep. iTunes is for suckers.

8. Bohnc says:

Just remember: you’re not really buying the music, just buying the rights to listen to it on your computer or Ipod.

9. elplatt says:

To expand on the comments by nffcnnr and bohnc:

You never own music purchased from iTunes. Not only can Apple choose to do things like charge you twice for purchasing a single and an album, they can also revoke your license to listen to anything you’ve already payed for. This isn’t likely to happen out of the blue, but it means that if they come out with a new format for their music, they have no obligation to support music you’ve already purchased in their new devices or hardware.

10. infinitysnake says:

Nice. I also like that they prevent you from accidentally purchasing a song twice, because I’m spacey and tend to forget these things.

11. squikysquiken says:

How about a refund on all the ones I already bought twice in the past !

12. Coronagold says:

Vinyl.

13. Mr. Gunn says:

Or you could just download the mp3 and be done with it.