Target Bikes Recalled For "Frame Failure"

If something is going to fail on our bike, the frame isn’t our first choice. The CSPC has issued a recall of two bikes, sold exclusively at Target for about $100. Triax PK7 and Vertical PK7 Bicycles have a frame that can crack “while in use, causing the rider to lose control and suffer injuries from a fall or collision.”

There are 32,000 of these things out there so make sure to check your bike.

“This recall involves Triax PK7 (model 8509-24) and Vertical PK7 (model 8596-71T) 20-inch aluminum cushion framed bicycles. The Triax model was manufactured between October 2005 and May 2006, and the Vertical model was manufactured between August 2004 and December 2004. The model numbers and manufacture dates are printed on a label affixed to the bicycle frame.”

If you have one of these take the bike to a Target store for a full refund including sales tax. Don’t, you know, ride your bike there. Just sayin’.—MEGHANN MARCO

Dynacraft Recalls Bicycles Sold Exclusively at Target Due to Frame Failure [CPSC]

Comments

1. catnapped says:

Gotta love that Chinese engineering!

2. homerjay says:

Calm down! You’re going to give yourself skin failure!

3. billybastion says:

You should never buy a bike from Toys R Us, Target, Walmart or anything similar. You can find bikes that are close in price range at your local bike shop, they may be fifty to one hundred dollars more, but those extra dollars buy you a lot of stuff:

Personal care and support for you and your bike. Should you get a flat, need help with any other maintenance problems, or just have any questions about anything bike related (or not), the customer service and attention you and your bike will receive at your shop is way beyond what these stores offer you.

Your shop will only sell you quality goods that they trust and know will work and that they have personal experience with. Your bike shop knows its products backwards and forwards, so its not going to sell you an unsafe piece of equipment.

You’ll become a part of their culture: Cycling enthusiasts and bike shop guys are a very warm and welcoming bunch, so any time you have to go in for something (a new helmet, help with a flat, maybe youre just curious about your first possible purchase) they will welcome you with open arms. Plus, who knows, maybe after hanging out for a while you might get inspired to get out on the open road a little more and do a little less damage with the emissions from your car.

Plus if you shop at your local bike shop, you’re helping out the little guy instead of one of these big box retailers who don’t know anything about the products they sell, nor do they really care if you have a good experience with your purchase; your local bike shop does.

These are just a few of the many, many reasons to buy a bike at your local bike shop and not some place like Target. I’m a huge proponent of buying things cheaply whenever its possible, but sometimes you need to spend a little extra dough to make sure you’re getting a safe, quality product.

4. G-Dog says:

billybastion is correct, when it comes to things like bikes, skateboards, skates and other heavily used sports equipment, it’s better to buy pro or semi-pro quality.

Between the age of 9 and 15, my parents bought me at least three cheap, K-Mart brand Huffy BMX bikes at $100 a pop. If they would have just bought me a $300 Redline in 1990, I’d be passing it down to my son in a few years.

With skateboards, same deal. Three, easily breakable Wal-Mart brand decks cost the same as one quality setup that will last three times as long.

5. lpranal says:

It’s probably best to just avoid the department store bike situation, altogether. If you even glance at the instruction manual of just about any department store bike, there are warnings plastered all over about *not* riding offroad- on a dual suspension bike this is almost funny (in a horrible, tragic kind of way).

Go to your local bike shop. The cheapest USED bike you will find there will be miles and miles ahead in terms of performance and reliability than almost any department store bike…

Bikes made by “vertical”, “next”, most mongoose, pacific all fall into this category, but if you can’t tell the difference check out bikesrnottoys.com

6. TechnoDestructo says:

I think I’d choose frame as my SECOND least desirable thing to have fail. Front wheel comes first.

7. CaptainRoin says:

I was going to post similar to lpranal and billybastion but they beat me to it.

Just wanted to add that bikes purchased from your local shop are assembled correctly and safely. Not by some guy with a crescent wrench in the back room. I used to be the guy putting your bike together, and I never used a crescent wrench.

Also, on the frame failure note, every quality bike manufacturer has a lifetime warranty on their frames, so if it does break you can get another.

8. cynon says:

I’d have to agree with CaptainRoin and the rest. Who buys a mountain bike at Target and expects it not to destroy itself while you’re looking at it?

Go to your local bike store…

9. synergy says:

Honestly, I don’t see what maintenance you’d need to do to an average bike that you’d need a bike shop to do for you. It’s not complicated and I can keep my $300+ for attention and do it myself. I’ve had one Target bike for years and no real problems so far.

Now those bikes (from the picture) I’ve been seeing a lot lately and I wondered how that unconnected part of the frame under the seat wasn’t a problem. I wonder if that’s involved with the frame weakness.

10. madktdisease says:

@synergy: it’s modelled after very expensive mountain bikes, a friend has one. of course, super expensive mountain bike obviously is going to stay together, $75 target special, not so much. How’s your peanuts, kid?

11. billybastion says:

@synergy: not trying to be rude, but this is the problem i think the above are stating: there is nothing wrong with the “unconnected part of the frame under the seat” or at least there shouldnt be. a lot of high quality bike manufacturers (trek, specialized, cannondale, gary fisher) who make or have made frames that are similar to the above bike. the difference is the quality of the materials and construction of the bike.

as you can tell im a huge proponent of buying quality at the local bike shop.

12. Daytonna says:

Support your local Bike shop, and a high quality bike manufacturer. Not the chinese shit you get in any chain store. Bike’s are one of those things that will fail at the point of highest stress. I.E. when you are using them the hardest, and therefore at the point in time where your chances of getting injured are the greatest. Don’t skimp on things like that.

13. Juliekins says:

@billybastion: Yes, yes, 1,000 times yes! I am an infrequent bicyclist at best, but I wanted a bike for tooling around on weekends or the occasional ride on the trail behind my house for exercise. My husband suggested (in an attempt to be thrifty) that I just get a bike at Target. I insisted (partly because I’m snobby and partly because I used to own a Trek that liked) that I would be going to the local bike shop and buying another Trek. So now I have a really nice Trek hybrid that I should ride more often, but at least it isn’t a super happy funtime Chinese Death Bike.

14. mopar_man says:

Here’s another example of why spending a little more on something that is made of quality components makes sense. Instead of buying your bike at Target, K-mart or *shudder* Wal-Mart, head down to your local cycle shop.

15. myrall says:

Amen, Amen, Amen. As a former bike shop employee, I cannot stress enough how important it is to visit a bike shop for a bicycle purchase. billybastion said it best – you get service, attention to detail, and most importantly, guaranteed work.

We’d occasionally get bikes in boxes that a parent wanted assembled for birthday/christmas/etc. We’d charge them $50 and then gently point out that for the cost of the assembly and the bike, they could have had a bike shop bike for less money and more perks!

I will note, however, that Y-frames have passed their heyday. Structural integrity was a bit of an issue with Treks and Cannondales. We couldn’t move those circa 1999 C-dales for anything. It may look cool, but it didn’t work very well. As with anything though, you’ll still find people that swore by that frame.

16. CaptainRoin says:

@synergy: “Honestly, I don’t see what maintenance you’d need to do to an average bike that you’d need a bike shop to do for you”

I worked at a shop for years, pretty much any maintenance you can do to a bike there is someone that can’t do it. I used to feel bad charging $5 to install a tube, but people don’t know how. Just like changing oil on a car isn’t hard, but I’m too lazy to do it myself.

Also, if you actually use your bike any bike you buy from a name brand company will out last any bike from target, etc. by years. I know, I’ve had to try to adjust derailers and such on the ‘toy’ bikes from target.

17. zolielo says:

I am really surprised about the frame failure. As an undergrad I had to design and build a bike. It was easy to cost effectively upgrade the bike to level that vastly exceeded the margin of safe required.

In almost every case the frame was the last to sheer… So I strongly suspect a lack of proper quality control.

18. try says:

Hehe, I bought that bike on clearance for $15 for my wife and she and never rode it. Hope I get full price back.

Bike shop snobs, take note, there’s a price you won’t match. That being said, there’s no way I’ll pay for a decent bike if I only use it twice a year…

19. cynon says:

I’m a mountain biker. My bike isn’t even one of the real high end ones, but it did cost me over a grand. And I’ll tell you this: The bike they’re selling looks like a high end mountain bike, so kids probably try and do all kinds of cool stuff with it.

Well, the Target bike might look cool, but it’s not going to handle an actual mountain bike trail. Certainly it’s not going to handle an 8 foot flat drop, which I know the higher end bikes will.

You get what you pay for, and $75 bucks is only gonna get you something that will handle a curb. Maybe.

20. jurgis says:

Yeah, parents take note: my dad bought me a 1989 (I think) Haro Escape (one of the first mountain bikes for kids) for $400 (a good bit for a kid, back then). Four years ago I donated that bike to another kid and it was still in really good condition: no rust and no frame damage, just needed tires, a new chain, and brake pads.

I beat the crap out of it too, other than having to constantly adjust the headset (before threadless, but you’ll still find old fashioned headsets on Kmart bikes), it performed flawlessly until I out grew it (rode it from age eight until I was 14 and could fit on a real bike).

It wasn’t flashy like the Huffys were (they always had neon plastic disks and junk), but it still looked good, the fifteen years I had it.

Of course, I still prefer my Intense/Haro DH bike, but you know how it is.

21. TechnoDestructo says:

@mopar_man:
    I bought a Target bike once because I only needed it for a few months, didn’t want to be bothered selling a bike, and couldn’t take it with me.

Except for the brakes it lasted that long, barely.

I think that’s the only situation in which a sub-100 dollar big-box bike is a good idea.

22. quagmire0 says:

It’s bad enough that they still have the ‘nut rack’ bar! Now there’s a chance you’ll get impaled? :o I’ll walk!

23. icedbamboo says:

This is really funny. T stumbled across this article because my friends and I were looking to buy a second one of the verticals. Me and my friends had been using the one that I had for taking off of my jump. We would even put the jump up on hills or ledges so there was quite a bit of a drop at times.

good thing it did not break, the one i have is a tiny little thing, made for ages 8 – 10; we are all about 15.

We never had any problems with it, but i sure as hell got a lot of use out of it, its all banged up and old. Looking forward to that full refund.