Walmart Gives Up: No Stores For New York City

We’ve often wondered what force of nature could finally frustrate Walmart and now we have the answer: New York City. From the New York Times:

Frustrated by a bruising, and so far unsuccessful battle to open its first discount store in the nation’s largest city, Wal-Mart’s chief executive said yesterday, “I don’t care if we are ever here.”

H. Lee Scott Jr., the chief executive of the nation’s largest retailer, said that trying to conduct business in New York was so expensive— and exasperating —that “I don’t think it’s worth the effort.”

Although the major opposition to Walmart has come from blue-collar workers and union organizers who fear competition from non-union Walmart will force other stores to cut benefits and lower wages, Walmart’s CEO blames New York snobbery for the defeat:

Speaking about what he sees as snobbish elites in New York and across the country, Mr. Scott added, “You have people who are just better than us and don’t want a Wal-Mart in their community.”

People in New York City may be snobby, but they still shop at Kmart, and Target, and Home Depot, and Lowe’s…. —MEGHANN MARCO

Wal-Mart Chief Writes Off New York [New York Times]
(Photo: cmorran123)

Comments

1. Pelagius says:

Boulder CO spurned Walmart about five years ago. They just set up shop outside the greenbelt, where cookie cutter townhouse and big box mall developments are thriving.

2. That’s the best thing I’ve heard in a week.

3. Charmander says:

This post just made my day!!!!

4. Carson Daly says:

My dad is a manager at Wal-Mart. He forced me to work there when I was 16 years old (I quit ages ago), and tried to mold me into the proud blue vest wearin’ slave that he was/still is.

I hate Wal-Mart like any intelligent individual, yet every time they are insulted I feel as though I am being attacked too.

It’s very sick how Wal-Mart has a way with their former employees like that. They steal souls, man – it’s like I’m permanently attached to the greedy bastards.

Good call, NYC!

5. Carson Daly says:

@Pelagius:

I’m in Colorado and I did not know that about Boulder, heh.

They’re trying to squeeze a superfluous (aren’t they all?) third Wal-Mart in my city. That’d make one Wal-Mart for every high school we have.

6. timmus says:

I am betting that the Wikipedia entry for “Pot Calling the Kettle Black” has a big old picture of H. Lee Scott Jr talking about “elite snobs”.

7. y2julio says:

Good!!! I never want to see a Wal-Mart in NYC.

8. nweaver says:

“Wal-Mart executives have argued that low prices would be the universal language that bridged the gap. So far, they have not.”

I think Wal*Mart’s problem is that it CAN’T bridge the gap. Once every 6 months-3 years I end up setting foot in a wal-mart for some reason. They are just SOO trashy that it is worth the extra 1% to shop at a Target.

9. eross says:

Great that he’s discouraged, but no one in NYC should believe the statement has any meaning. Wal-Mart executives had no problem lying to the FDIC about their banking plans (see: http://reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/2007/email_lies_fdic.p… ). There’s no reason to think they’re telling the truth now.

One of their PR people already is saying Scott was only discouraged about prospects in Manhattan, not the whole city. New Yorkers should act now to prevent unwanted big box stores, not wait to play defense against Wal-Mart again.

10. Pelagius says:

@Wendy Wayrad: Just a stab in the dark – Colorado Springs?

Boulder hasn’t had any problem letting Target or Home Depot in, strangely enough.

11. nequam says:

Excellent point, Meghann.

I love how Wal-Mart tries to appeal to class warfare, selling the idea that one can empower him or herself with low-price purchases and that the supposed snobbish elite is trying to keep you down. When they try to make shopping at Wal-Mart mean something they are simply inviting people to reject it. I’m glad NYC did.

12. “You have people who are just better than us and don’t want a Wal-Mart in their community.”

At least he recognizes we’re better than him.

13. etinterrapax says:

Heh, Eyebrows, my thought exactly. And I don’t necessarily believe it either. I knew my neighbors had successfully defeated the plans to have a Wal-Mart less than a quarter mile from our complex. The one they’re breaking ground on right now, while I watch my property value nosedive.

14. ColoradoShark says:

@: @: @:

15. ColoradoShark says:

@Wendy Wayrad: You must live in Longmont. Don’t worry about the three Walmarts. They’ll close the old one (#1) after they open the new one (#3) and then there will be this big blighted area with just Hobby Lobby.

16. Steve_Holt says:

@Eyebrows McGee:

Yes, Mr. Scott, we are better than you and we don’t want you’re in our community. Thanks for making this easy for the both of us!

17. Nicholai says:

We win!!!!!!!!! yes! I feel so much better now.

18. freibooter says:

New York is not the first force of nature that frustrated Wal-Mart. Trying to expand the Wal-Mart-Empire to Germany actually just recently resulted in the biggest bruise the giant experienced in its lifetime.
    Wal-Marts “Statement of Ethics” was found to violate human rights and Germany’s constitution by two courts of law. Neither the customers nor the employees ever accepted Wal-Mart’s corporate culture and Wal-Mart made a loss for eight-and-a-halve years.
    Knowing Wal-Mart from the U.S. it was almost comical and spooky to experience Wal-Marts fate in Germany first handed. First the number of employees was severely reduced. In the beginning there were almost more employees than customers, later you could walk through the whole Supercenter without seeing a single Wal-Mart uniform. In the last year they wouldn’t even bother fixing anything in the store. There are cracks in the floor, lights are burned out, shopping carts broken and the WAL*MART logo reads L* ART at night.
    The last time I went was the day before remodeling. It’s quite eery to walk through an almost entirely empty Wal-Mart, almost like after a riot. The store already re-opened as a renovated, slightly higher priced typical German supermarket.

19. priznat says:

Vancouver, BC has spurned Wal-Mart on several occasions.. Even greenifying their building and parking lot didn’t get them victory. Unless they finally won in the last round of proposals, I stopped following the action. It would be in the south of Vancouver and I never go there anyway.

20. MollyNYC says:

I can think of one argument for having a Walmart in NYC: Union organizers would have a better shot at them here than anywhere in the country (with the possible exception of Chicago).

I love how Wal-Mart tries to appeal to class warfare . . .

nequam – Good point. Do you think anyone from the Walton family (mainly multi-billionaires of the never-worked-a-day-in-their-lives variety) ever set foot in such a place?

21. Brian Gee says:

@H. Lee Scott Jr.: Just because we’re better than you, it doesn’t mean we’re snobbish.

22. closer says:

you are better than him?

typical new yorker mentality.

23. gertrudeyorkes says:

@closer: Well, I don’t give substandard wages to my workers, deny them health care and basic quality of life, or bulldoze land all over the country and put small stores out of business, so yes, I believe I am better than H. Lee Scott.

24. formergr says:

Uh, closer, did you read the post? In it Mr. Lee Scott Jr is quoted as saying we are better than him. “Mr. Scott added, ‘You have people who are just better than us and don’t want a Wal-Mart in their community.'”

Soo…not so much having anything to do with a “new yorker mentality”.

25. catnapped says:

@formergr: Surprising that he (Lee Scott) didn’t also call NY’ers terrorist sympathizers while he was at it (cuz everyone knows the way to get people to rally to your side is to insult them)

26. So, I must be the only wal-mart shopper here? If you didn’t have all your other box stores and your normal grocery stores have a horrid selection of mayonnaise and white bread, you would welcome a wal-mart with open arms.

27. mopar_man says:

@Moonshine Mike:

I live in a small town with a Wal-Mart. There’s plenty of other places that are much better.

If only more communities across the nation would be like New York, the US would be a better place (fewer people shopping there would be good too). I mean, how can a company that unloads a container from a ship from Japan every 45 seconds be good for the economy?

28. TheUpMyAssPlayers says:

HOORAYYYYYYYY!

Don’t Let the Door Hit You In Your Heiney on the way out!

God I LOVE NYC

29. Bay State Darren says:

@Moonshine Mike: I think we can safely say that New York City is not like that. Plus, was there that shortage of other stores before Wal-Mart came to town or not until after?

30. j.b. says:

I realized something the other day that sounds obvious but I hadn’t articulated it to myself till now.

In a similar way when Americans use the word ‘race’ when they really mean ‘class’, our culture is increasingly using the word ‘citizen’ when we mean ‘consumer’. I feel like our rights as citizens are being chipped away, and in their place we’re given the right to buy more things. We don’t need to be able to truly afford something, or understand their value or expect longevity or utility. We just need to *buy* something.

When advertisers morphed the concept of buying a toaster or telephone from buying an item or asset into purchasing into a lifestyle or ‘an experience’, a lot of us lost that causality connection letting us more easily evaluate the real value of something. It’s much more difficult to do this now than it used to be. Nowadays, when you buy into a lifestyle, you’re essentially paying a subscription every 9-24 months.

Not exactly relevant to the wal-mart thread, but it made me think of its role in our transformation from citizen to consumer as our primary participatory role in society. Empowerment through lower prices? Talk about reaching. Lowering prices is nice so long as the cause doesn’t depress your wages, stability and the variety of public/town life. Globalization is a fact of life. Hiding from it doesn’t do anyone any good, but I don’t see the massive training and education programs needed to maintain our distinct advantages.

• Mr. Snerk to you says:

I just wanted to say that I thought your post was insightful and deserving of at least an acknowledgement. In particular your reference of the move from citizen to consumer is relevant.

As to the main discussion, I kept thinking that America has been touted at the land of opportunity and choice, yet so much of what I read pushed for a reduction of both and from both sides of the debate.

I tend to fall into an area that allows for the existence of Walmart and my right to ignore going there if I so choose. I do not see unions or MaPs or entrepreneurs of any stripe as controlling me. I vote for my right to choose.

31. Hodo says:

Wal-Mart = the new Microsoft. The company(ies) people love to hate because they’re big.

32. Hodo says:

Not that I’m a Wal-Mart supporter, per se. Just think that there wouldn’t be nearly the vitriolic responses here if Wal-Mart were a 3, 5, or 10 store chain. After all, if their approach is bad/wrong, then it’s bad/wrong regardless of how small/big they are, right?

• OutPastPluto says:

No one would be even AWARE of Walmart if they were a tiny chain.

Also, Walmart would not posess it’s most dangerous attributes if it were either.

33. mopar_man says:

@Hodo:

They would probably be a little more responsible and pay betterif they were smaller. There wouldn’t be the horrific economical impact that Wal-Mart has either. I’m sure Sam Walton rolls in his grave every day.

34. SpecialK says:

Good to see that “Consumerist” has gone from being about the consumer to just spouting the most recent anti-Wal-Mart talking points. Who does more for the consumer? Wal-Mart or some mid-level-priced to high-priced boutique in New York?

And this line? “Although the major opposition to Walmart has come from blue-collar workers and union organizers who fear competition from non-union Walmart…” Yeah, that would be true if you dropped “blue-collar workers” from the equation. Union organizers, hipster snobs (who still shop at just-as-bad Target) and the sort of people who SHOULD move to Boulder are the main opposition to Wal-Mart. Show me non-union Blue Collar workers who wouldn’t jump at the chance to have a Wal-Mart in their Brooklyn or Queens neighborhood. People in New York are the exact same sort of “sheeple” (to borrow a phrase) that many of you deride. Open up a Target — non-unionized, mom-and-pop killing Target — and they come a running. Open up a Trader Joes (hello Suburban California) and they line up around the block. … But for the average internet dwelling, media-saturated New York dweebola, those stores have a certain bit of trashy cool. Wal-Mart, though, is just too, I don’t know … trashy? low-rent? reminds some too much of their daddy?

And yall really need to quit living in this mystery world where “mom-and-pop” stores are employing vast numbers of people that would lose their jobs if Wal-Mart moved in.

Look at Chicago to see what happened there. Chicago’s leading lights and union organizers kept Wal-Mart out, forcing it to open on the outskirts of town… Thousands of job applicants and shoppers then turned up at that very same Wal-Mart. But, hey, who cares about all those proles living out in East-East-East Williamsburg or Bushwick or wherever it is they stay when they’re not commuting into Manhattan to clean up your offices and serve your food. Better they have no job at all than to suffer the indignity of making $10 bucks an hour. Better they do their shopping at the 99-Cent-Fell-Off-A-Thai-Truck store than have access to non-knock-off prices at non-outrageous prices. Or drag ass all the way to Atlantic Center to Target on Saturdays and stand in line for an hour.

Unions can suck it. The auto industry was perhaps the most unionized industry in this country and what happened there … increasingly shitty products at higher price points … until Japan came along and ate their lunch (and is still eating it… even while employing Americans).

There are perfectly legit reasons to disklike Wal-Mart, but the general tone I see in the Consumerist comment section is something I’d expect from the dimwitted villains in an Ayn Rand novel or, worse, the “fight-the-man” half-ass socialism I’d expect from freshmen in college.

• Chaosium says:

“Who does more for the consumer? Wal-Mart or some mid-level-priced to high-priced boutique in New York?”

It’s nice that you’re willfully ignorant about Wal-Mart’s business practices, but you’re continuing to practice class warfare

• zedend83 says:

Are there any other significant brick-and-mortar options besides boutiques and large chains in NYC? Thanks for your irrelevant link. Work on making sense next time, thanks.

35. gertrudeyorkes says:

@SpecialK: I don’t dislike Wal-Mart because they’re “not cool,” I dislike Wal-Mart because they treat their workers like shit, give a ton of money to right-wing causes, sell guns and bullets in many of their stores yet won’t sell the pregnant Barbie doll (love that culture of life!), and, yes, have aesthetically unappealing stores (every one I’ve never been in has been messy and dirty) and in-house brands.
    Also, since you seem to know so much about New York, you’d realize that people from Bushwick, Harlem, and Forest Hills would have to do just as much ass-hauling and waiting in line at Wal-Mart than they do at the Forest Hills and Atlantic Center Target, or Trader Joe’s for that matter. You think they’re gonna build it in the Empire State Building?
    Also “all the way” to the Atlantic Center? It’s on 15 subway lines. That’s what living in New York is for most people, “dweebola” and non dweebole alike–taking the subway.

36. Dustbunny says:

“New York to Walmart: Drop Dead”

(anybody here old enough to remember the origin of a similar headline?)

37. Big Poppa Pimp says:

A

38. Matthew says:

‘Bunny, we’d only have to be old enough to remember Ford’s recent funeral.

39. Big Poppa Pimp says:

A typical Pyrrhic victory of the New York left. Nobody would force anyone to work at a Wal-Mart and nobody would force anyone to shop at a Wal-Mart. I suppose the poor idiots who are too stupid to not work at Wal-Mart will now have a better place to work. Ummm- no. And why not force everyone to pay a little bit more for their goods? It’s better for the unions and the rest of our comrades. If Wal-Mart does such a bad job of running a business it will fail on its own. Having special-interest groups and unions run business out of town is not a better solution. I hope I am not alone in seeing the defeat of Wal-Mart as a symptom of a greater illness in New York City.

40. Daveed says:

To the defense of Manhattan, there are no Targets here (Only in Brooklyn, Jersey, etc).

The KMarts just managed to get into Manhattan before the backlash against massive retail giants.

I think at this point it’s damage control though. No point in letting it spread.

41. matt1978 says:

SpecialK:
    You hit the nail right on the head. This is just like being diagnosed by a freshman psych major.
    Give me cheap groceries/supplies any day. I can’t help it that the cashier didn’t finish high school.

I also don’t get this “Wal-Mart runs Mom-N-Pop out of town” nonsense. When Wal-Mart first came to town in Covington, TN, the only thing that went under was a ratty, small Ace Hardware. If M-n-P are going to charge me $5 for something I can get at Wally World for $2, why should I care what happens to Mom N Pop?

The myth of “Small Town America” is just that: A MYTH.

42. facted says:

@: Well, it could be somewhat good for the economy given that it’s the US’ biggest employer. No walmart = lots of fewer jobs. (I’m not saying they’re great jobs…but something to think about).

43. thejbs says:

to H. Lee Scott Jr:

And f*ck you too!

44. Anti-Mart says:

Top 10 reasons Wall Mart would have failed in NYC:

10. No parking. No shoppers. No one will pay $30 to put their car in a parking garage in NYC to save $10, and walk in traffic can only buy as much as one can carry !

9. There are easily thousands of mom and pop convenience stores, bodegas, minimarkets, 7-11s, supermarkets in the 5 boroughs of NYC, which one you go to usually depends on proximity, language, and ethnic food selection.

8. With the cost of Manhattan real-estate, weather buying or leasing would not likely reap a profit for the next 20 years. AND…

7. No space. Manhattan is a small island, with no where left to build (unless they knock down central park).

6. Crime. They would be robbed BLIND. Every see TV or movies that depict NYC stores? They usually are run by Arabs, Hindu, Korean, or some kind of 1st generation immigrant that would not hesitate to kick the crapola out of the first a-h0le that tried to get some 5 finger discount.

5. Minimum wage just does not cut it in NYC. You can try, but the only people that will work for minimum wage are the ones who will steal 10 times what they make.

4. Cut throat competition. Even if the competition had to sell at a loss, just to flush out Wall Mart in a few years, they will do it. Wall mart could probably take the hit, but what would be the point of running a non-profitable business.

3. New Yorkers hate waiting in line. While this may be true of people in general, why would I wait in line for some minimum wage tart to ring up a dozen eggs, a gallon milk and butter, when I can just run in to the local convenience store where there are no lines (because the owners of the convenience stores are usually the cashiers, and transactions are held very quickly.)

2. Wal-mart does not have the human touch. Surprisingly, this is very important in NYC where, the smaller sores can make up a forum, and be the place where people meet, local news and gossip spread, kids grow up, people meet people, gamblers complain about missing their numbers, mothers on welfare asking for credit until their checks come in… AND FINALLY

1. I own a store in NYC. Nuff said.

45. Costco is big. Costco is cheap. Costco is not my style either, as a New Yorker, and I worry about nearby storeowners, but New Yorkers do not complain much about Costco, and this is why:

1. Costco provides health insurance. (We taxpayers aren’t paying for their employees’ Medicaid.)
    2. Costco provides a sustaining wage.
    3. Costco provides incentives for attaining higher education.
    4. Costco actively tries to retain its employees.

Even though Costco is a big box store with problems like any other, they behave more like part of their community. They don’t just dump excess cost on the rest of us and wait to get sued before they do something right (like Wal-Mart and their recycling).

46. glitterpig says:

So it’s not New York, but Chestertown, MD successfully kept WalMart out years ago. (They said no, you don’t get to overload the infrastructure and expect us to pay for it. Over and over for 9 years until WM finally gave up.) I don’t think they got any poorer for doing it.

• Dre' says:

I’ve been to a Wal-Mart in Anne Arundel county. I was by far the nastiest store I’ve ever been in, bar none. Not trying to base my opinion on a single store, but I really can’t blame them for not wanting them around if that is how they are run up north. The Wal-Marts that I’ve been to in my area are much, much cleaner.

47. xbox360 says:

You’re all a bunch of sad sheep. Is WAL-MART really that evil for selling milk for $1.50 over $3.75?

Do they sometimes treat their employees like crap like every other business in America? Yes.

Do they create competition that sometimes small businesses can’t handle? Yes. (Do the vast majority of consumers get the good side of that equation though? Yes.) Sorry, I don’t think we should all have to pay higher prices because we have some emotional connection with a corner store who screws you in the first place (and always have for the past 25 years).

I’ve been reading this site for a while and most of your answers really surprised me. It’s like if Wal-Mart purposely made their prices higher and changed their name to “Trendy Spot 3255″, there’d be no problem.

48. MollyNYC says:

Yeah–it was the unions who designed and marketed all those gas-guzzling POSs and handed company management over to nepotes and superannuated frat boys.

49. coolyfooly88 says:

i wish my middle america town was snobby enough to keep walmart out of our city limits

50. superbmtsub says:

I’d like to point out 2 things.

1. Case of sour grapes.

2. How would you react if a repeated sex offender made plans to move to your town and past history shows that he’s gonna strike again?

WalMart. I hope to see you leave more places.

51. roamer1 says:

IMO, the “problem” with W*M in NYC isn’t so much the “union” factor but the fact that NYC is such a different retail market from the rest of the US (even other large cities like San Francisco and Chicago) and the fact that W*M still doesn’t really understand large cities or the Northeast.

I’ve always sensed quite a bit of animus toward chains of ALL types in NYC, much more so than in any other US city…who better to throw ill will toward than W*M? Yes, most chain retailers can be found somewhere in NYC, usually in midtown or lower Manhattan, outer Brooklyn or Queens, or Staten Island, but most chains are a lot more flexible when it comes to major cities than W*M is. Still, mom-and-pops predominate in NYC, and overwhelmingly so in certain areas such as food.

FWIW, there’s quite a bit of snobbery against Wal*Mart here in Atlanta, as well…there’s only one location in the city limits, on the site of a former hotel, while the upscale northern end of the city and the surrounding suburbs are being absolutely saturated by Target (there’s one part of town where three Targets are a mile or so from one another with the closest W*M being several miles away; in another area further north, there are two Targets a mile or so apart, but a W*M is nearly across the street from one of them.)

52. elladisenchanted says:

I have to confess that I am willing to look the other way with Costco for the reasons cited above in outofthebullpen’s post. I’d like to add that Costco certainly does more if you ask me for those of us who aren’t exactly affluent; I can buy junky generic crap at Wal-Mart or I can buy a wholesome meal at Costco fot about the same price. Costco is a bit of an initial investment but I save 50% on my groceries per year…easily…shopping at Costco. Throw in $1.00 hot dogs (mmm GOOD) and $12 megapacks of toilet paper and you recoup that 40 bucks in a month.

Add in cheaper gas for my car, a highly transit-friendly pair of stores in my area, and, oh yeah, a tire shop that will never rip you off and you can build one of those things next to my house.

Plus, they give their employees “traditional” holidays like New Year’s off. That alone makes me love them.

53. Rajah says:

I am always impressed with the “Wal-mart” defenders; parroting the Wal-mart line on liberal snobs or union organizers.

Could you actually discuss the overwhelmingly negative economic impact that chain stores like Wal-mart have on communities? Could you consider the fact that citizens have the right to weigh in on land use in their communities? Could you wonder about the documented worker abuse Wal-Mart participates and promotes domestically and abroad?

If you can’t discuss the real issues behind the “Wal-mart debate”, keep up your sophomoric psuedo-psychological analysis on the “liberal elite”.

54. jcraig0433 says:

Its interesting to read these comments. I am from Boulder CO, and live in Atlanta GA. Near my house a new wal-mart is almost finished and will open in the nick of time for the holiday rush. I don’t really have a “I hate wal-mart” stand, but I wanted to make a view points about other comments that I have read.

I think it was stupid for wal-mart to even try to put a store in NYC. For those that have never been, you don’t realize the hustle and bustle of day to day life for new yorkers. Most people don’t won cars, walking or taking the subway are their modes of transportation. Wal-mart is just nuts it seams.

I still don’t understand why “mom and pop” shops are getting so much sympathy. I don’t want to sound like the villian, but its consumer evolution. I have walked into so many “mom and pop” shops and learned they don’t have what I need and I went somewhere else, YES to a wal-mart even. I don’t usually go to MAP (mom and pop) stores because their inventory is usually old or outdated (not literally, just their thinking). So MAP’s need to update, upgrade, offer more or close. Oh well.

Second I read a comment that struck me as, well…dumb. Oh to the person that has a problem with wal-mart selling guns and ammo, and not selling the pregnant barbie doll. Like selling that particular barbie doll would make you a believer. Well listen to what you don’t want to hear. Wal-Mart is a store and makes an effort to real you in as a consumer, but whats more important is that they don’t have to sell anything that they don’t like. I love that. What little girl wants a damn pregnant barbie doll anyway. Your bringing up this point because they’re not liberal enough for you, well tough. I wouldn’t buy a pregnat doll for dougher (or son I guess) if they where kicking and screaming. Kids don’t need to get a head start in that area. Let them be kids and play with toys that are’nt pregnant.

I also wanted to point out that Unions are not always a bad idea. Has anyone (here makeing these comments), been fired for something really dumb. Yeah well thats because you are NOT in a union. While there are issues with unions, there are benifits also. My grandfather once was fired because his boss did not like ex-navy. Well that makes no sense, and if you think for a minute that you have rights after being fired, huh…right. Here in GA, you can be fired at anytime for almost anything (except discrimination) and the employer does’nt have to give you a reason. Sucks, but its true. I’m getting at the fact that many people are in unions because there is more security than your “average” job.

Lastly, I read a comment above that got my attention. Here is a quote “Could you consider the fact that citizens have the right to weigh in on land use in their communities”. Um…NO, not if its owned by a person or family you don’t. If I had land and wal-mart wanted to buy it from me. The comunity does not get one ounce of say. Period.

I don’t agree with many of wal-marts tactics, and treament of workers. I just think that everytime I read about wal-mart and then read the comments. They always go into left field and the liberals get all distracted by “pregnant barbie dolls” and other stupid shit. Focus on the fact that wal-mart is a evil coorporation and sadly we all will find our way into a wal-mart at some point. But don’t forget that as much as you don’t like them its America and they have their rights as well. They are free to run a business, and maybe even put the MAP’s out of business. Its sad, buts its consumer evolution.

Thats my piece, if you disagree with me, great. Please don’t cuss me out. You can cuss me out and prove to me that I am superior. Use your words.

55. Anonymous says:

Wall-mart still offers the lowest prices on goods available of any discount store…..if you dumb fuck liberals in New York don’t like to save money then what the hell can be said for a dipshit state that elected Hillary Clinton as a U.S. senator! Nuff said!

56. scoutermac says:

I think more places need to kick walmart out. Indianapolis has far too many. There are like 6 within a 10 mile radius of my home. The one nearest to me at the corner of 86th & Mighican Rd just brings in the worst of people and is making the neighborhood worse.

57. fundy says:

I know this is an old post but the headlione caught my interest. Walmart lost a battle to open up a store here in Rothesay NB, Canada back in 2006. They havent been back. Mind you, anyone needing some Walmart goods can drive 20 kms in one direction or 40 kms in another and hit one.

58. Chaosium says:

It’s a trick.

Get an axe.

(seriously, though, they’ll never give up.)

59. t-spoon says:

They’re trying to squeeze a superfluous (aren’t they all?)

60. energynotsaved says:

Good grief. Not all of us are rich enough to shop at Whole Food. Not all of us can be snobs about jobs when employment is at 10.5%. Come to the poor side and see how glad you will be to get an job–any kind of a job–when your option is that or the street.

Last I looked, the concept of free market said that the shoppers would determine if a store was a success or a failure. Looks like NYC is more afraid that New Yorkers might just like having freedom of choice and might, horrors of horrors, shop and work in Walmart.

Yes, I did work for a while at Walmart. The money I erned made it possible for me to survive. That job feed me and kept me off the streets. Yes, I do shop there. Yes I do fill my Rx there for $10 for three months. Walmart hired me when no place else would hire me.

I now have the choice (and the financial resources) to shop at Walmart, Target, Kroger, Publix, Whole Foods, the fancy meat market, Aldi and even Winn Dixie! Yet, I go to Walmart to save money and to support the people I know who need their jobs to continue to survive. Around here, survival is a lot more important than being snobs.

And, finally, all you rich folks, buy some expensive canned foods at one of your fancy stores and donate it to the local Food Bank. People are hungry out here. Or, do you think that should be the job of someone else? The people I worked with at Walmart were the kindest, most giving people I ever met. They did donate. What have you done?

61. mindaika says:

Hooray, New York!

62. AEN says:

I don’t often shop at Walmart, but when I do, I buy Dos XX.

63. AEN says:

I don’t often shop at Walmart, but before I do, I drink Dos XX.

64. adamnj says:

A Walmart in Boulder is a very different thing from a Walmart in New York City. There are many sections of NYC that don’t have stores with a wide selection of foodstuffs (including groceries) at low prices. You can hate Walmart all you want, but if it is willing to bring nutrition to ghetto perhaps its time has come.

65. coold8 says:

Yes , as any good intellectual will realize, keeping businesses from opening in a city because you don’t like them (when there are plenty of customers… and unemployed people who seems to feel the opposite) is a great idea! Target is definitely better than Wal-Mart, and much more caring! Go snort more of your smug now.

66. Cerne says:

“Although the major opposition to Walmart has come from blue-collar workers and union organizers”

From what I’ve seen opposition from blue collar workers has been almost non existent. Most Walmart opponents are union organizers, social activists and democrat politicians.

67. Alliance to Restore the Republic of the United States of America says:

“…don’t want a Wal-Mart in their community.”

And what’s wrong with that?

68. booboobear says:

This must be a PR move on their part. In the text of the article, they clarify that they mean, they are giving up ONLY on Manhattan. They currently have been making a big push to move into Flatlands, Brooklyn. They are not trying to move into Manhattan.

See what I mean?