254 Uses For Vinegar

Is there anything you can’t do with vinegar? Wise Bread alerts us to a list of 254 uses for vinegar…and growing…
Some highlights:

1. Used as a hair rinse, vinegar neutralizes the alkali left by shampoos.
2. A quarter cup in a quart of water makes a good window cleaner. A reader adds: When you use vinegar in your water to wash windows, dry with newspapers. Your windows will sparkle!
3. Fabric softener and static cling reducer – use as you would liquid fabric softener.
4. Air freshener, used with baking soda – use 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 2 cups of water. After it stops foaming, mix well, and use in a (recycled) spray bottle into the air.

It’s pretty good on french fries too…—MEGHANN MARCO

254 uses for vinegar and counting… [Wise Bread]
(Photo:josette)

Comments

1. Scazza says:

Great list, but after reading about 40, I noticed that ALOT are repeated (window cleaner, hard boiled eggs, skin cleanser…etc).

2. faust1200 says:

Take 6 oz. white vinegar and pour into bottle which you can use as vodka at which point you may use the fluid to fuel flying saucers and Baptize babies. Then take the bottle and bury it in your yard and grow your own jelly bean tree.

3. Mix vinegar and baking soda and you make salty water and carbon dioxide. Salty water is not famous for its air freshening qualities, though I suppose water with just some baking soda in it might do something (though it’d leave little dots of baking soda everywhere when the water evaporated).

Of course, you won’t be able to perfectly balance your vinegar and your baking soda unless you measure pH or something, so this suggestion will actually have people spraying salty baking-soda-y water around, or salty vinegary water.

Yes, vinegar is useful for quite a few things. There’s a strange undercurrent of new-agey thinkers who seem to believe it’s good for EVERYTHING, though, giving rise to lists like this (and those bizarre alt-med claims about apple cider vinegar).

Sheesh. It’s just acetic acid.

4. mantari says:

People say that white vinegar makes a good cleaner substitute for the floor in an iRobot Scooba automated floor cleaning robot.

5. OnceWasCool says:

and I am cleaning my keyboard right nowlkhjweoifvninihwgnb/;bn’na[manauheuhe3548b4a5ef;ja

6. you can nuke vinegar in your microwave to get rid of funk. Although then your kitchen smells like vinegar for a while, but that dissipates faster than the smell of funk, which never, ever, ever leaves.

7. acambras says:

A co-worker of mine takes a couple of tablespoons of vinegar before each meal and swears it helps keep the weight off. I am skeptical of this because if it worked, you’d think it would have made the news. I am also skeptical because, although she is quite thin, she is also only twenty-one years old, and seems to have the metabolism of a hummingbird. I too was that thin when I was 21.

When she hits her mid-thirties, I shall laugh.

8. Little Miss Moneybags says:

I use vinegar for stain remover on clothes. I’ve been doing it for years–it doesn’t stain, and it works really well to remove sweat stains, grass stains, ink (depending on how early you catch it), food stains, and others. Doesn’t work on blood, but just about everything else I’ve put it on has disappeared. It also gets rid of that baked-in sweaty smell gym clothes can get from the dryer.

9. georgeclay says:

I can’t imagine using vinegar as a fabric softener, all your clothes will smell like vinegar (not pleasant in my opinion).

10. kerrington.steele says:

do people really want their hair, clothes, and bodies smelling like vinegar all day long? it’s probably better than, say, cigarette smoke, but I’m pretty sure I’d get strange looks on the subway every morning if I washed my hair with vinegar.

11. Fuzzy_duffel_bag says:

One of our cats likes to pee on the dog’s bed because she has an attitude problem. Washing the bed with some vinegar in the mix makes the smell go away until next time. Stopping this habit is not as easy.

12. kelmeister says:

When I forget a load of laundry in the washing machine (which I do a lot–and for days at a time) I pour in some white vinegar and it removes the moldy smell in the clothes, without leaving a vinegar smell behind.

If only vinegar could help me with my laziness…

13. OnceWasCool says:

@acambras:

I got a true story better than that! Someone told my brother-in-law to drink vinegar every day and he wouldn’t have to take his cholesterol medicine. After a year of drinking gallons of the stuff, his cholesterol was over 400. Which is his normal level without meds.

14. valkin says:

I use vinegar as a fabric softener and it doesn’t leave behind a smell. I used to just use straight vinegar, but now I put in a few drops of essential oil and the wash has a faint smell of lavendar.

I use a combo of vinegar and water to use as a vegetable cleaner instead of buying the veggie wash at the market.

I use a combo of vinegar and water to wash the floors and windows.

I also use a combo of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide to clean my countertops.

People used to use vinegar all the time to clean their houses, before stuff like Fantastik and 409 came along.

15. AcilletaM says:

@acambras: @oncewascool: Supposedly apple cider vinegar helps control weight, not the others. You can buy it in tablet form. If you drink white vinegar you should also eat some dill and salt and pickle yourself properly.

16. Vinegar cured my OCD.

17. HaxRomana says:

GeneralLeigh, you don’t wash your hair with vinegar…you wash your hair with shampoo and then work a little bit of apple cider vinegar through your hair. I only use a tablespoon or two, and I have very thick hair that reaches down to the small of my back. It’s nothing too dramatic, but it does seem to add a little bit of shine…and you can’t smell the vinegar after you get out of the shower.

18. Coronagold says:

Uh, nothing smells closer to urine like vinegar. Okay, maybe ammonia. Maybe both mixed together?

I like sauerkraut on my hotdog but,….damn.