Woman Hospitalized After Eating Single Bite Of Tainted Dog Food

A Canadian woman who was trying to entice her newly-adopted dog to try dog food (the dog will only eat table scraps) ended up in the late-night ER. From the Edmonton Journal:

Elaine Larabie said Saturday she ate some dog food last week in an effort to convince her terrier, Missy, to do the same. Soon afterwards, both Larabie and Missy found themselves in hospital — Larabie at an after-hours emergency room, and Missy at Ottawa’s Alta Vista Animal Hospital.

Initially, the devoted dog owner did not think dog food made her sick.

“I thought I caught a virus, but then I realized I ate the food, and put two and two together,” she said.

For three days, she suffered a range of “confusing” and “embarrassing” symptoms, including loss of appetite, vomiting and foaming of the mouth.

She also had problems urinating. She had blood work done last Wednesday and is now awaiting the results of those tests.

The pet food recall has been expanded following confirmation that the food was tainted with rat poison. Check the updated list at www.menufoods.com/recall —MEGHANN MARCO

Eating poisoned dog food sickens pet lover
[Edmonton Journal]
(Photo: bradleypjohnson)

Comments

1. zibby says:

This is a woman that has a dog that’s smarter than she is.

2. Now that would help the class action suit, right? Since sick people isn’t sick property?

3. Buran says:

Only an idiot would willingly eat something known to be contaminated with poison that isn’t even legal to sell in the US.

4. airren says:

Buran, she didn’t know it was contaminated; obviously you haven’t even read the article.

5. Lilyara says:

Have we learned nothing from Dog Whisperer? Dogs are not people. I love my dog but I wasn’t spoonfeeding her and doing the airplane sound while saying “yum yum in the tum tumz” when I adopted her.

6. Buran says:

@airren: I did look at the article and I can’t see anything that says “I didn’t know” and besides, I don’t even own a pet, and I know about this since it’s been ALL OVER THE NEWS. “I didn’t know” doesn’t wash.

7. BMR says:

link at the end of the story is broken……

8. NeoteriX says:

I was actually waiting for the eventual news report to come in that a person got sick from the tainted pet food.

9. gertrudeyorkes says:

I feel bad for her, and maybe this will bring more attention to the recall, but seriously. SHE ATE DOG FOOD? Why the eff would someone EAT DOG FOOD to show their dog it’s good? Maybe she should have a.) Bought another brand when she saw the dog didn’t want it or b.) PRETENDED to eat the food. Or c), put down the Dog Fancy magazine and pick up a newspaper.

10. jwissick says:

Wait… Menufoods says there have been no cases in Canada in the first press release…. There is no updated press release to say that it spread to Canada….

11. Morton Fox says:

You know why dogs who try table scraps will only eat table scraps from then on? Because dog food is awful. Seriously. I tried a dog biscuit once and it tasted like sawdust.

12. OnceWasCool says:

Good Lord! Don’t she know you are suppose to FAKE eating it? Also, where can I find some of that rat poison that works that fast? The stuff I buy they have to eat have the packet in order for it to kick in.

13. WindowSeat says:

@Morton Fox: Allegedly, high end pet foods are formulated to appeal to humans, even going so far as having humans taste-test it.

When I was a toddler my Mom said if she couldn’t hear me making a racket it meant I was headed for the bin that held the dog kibble and biscuits. If you took the salt out of fritos, that’s the taste I remember.

14. Tallanvor says:

@oncewascool: Apparently you have to go to China to get the industrial strength rat poison, since that’s where they say the wheat came from.

In other news, our wheat is either too good or not good enough for our pets, so they have to go to China to get it.

What does that say, exactly?

15. JDAC says:

Way to take one for the team! what a loon…

16. Brnin8r says:

@NeoteriX: I’m right there with you on this one. I knew it was only a matter of time. I sincerely hope this will help boost the awareness of the recall.

17. Scazza says:

There are cases in canada too, infact, menufoods operates out of toronto.

All I can say is that its sad to people who use the large amount of foods that are effected, and THANK GOD I use MEDI-CAL food…

18. The Bigger Unit says:

I tried one of those high-end crouton dog treats once after a big night on the town (okay, boozing)…it was supposed to taste like beef, but it tasted like absolutely nothing. Just a dry, bland…crouton. Even drunk, it wasn’t very pleasing, so I only had 3 of them.

No wonder the dog won’t eat that crap.

19. FLConsumer says:

And people wonder why some people advocate forced sterilization… The package said “DOG FOOD”, not “HUMAN FOOD”.

20. zingbot says:

Yes, a human ate dog food. It happens all the time. More importantly, however, is the fact that MORE PETFOOD BRANDS ARE STILL BEING ADDED.

I’m not sure If I can feel good about feeding my cat at this point. She’s going on human food for now. I’d lose it if she died this way.

21. dieman says:

Just stick with a good food like Royal Canin or something. I’m happy we didn’t go to nutro when we were at petco looking at foods though. Royal Canin had *no* foods on the recalled list.

Iams/Eukanuba being on the list was a shock to my wife, as they’ve always seemed to be on the level when talking to animal professionals, but obviously they’ve gone downhill since being purchased by P&G.

22. Spider Jerusalem says:

There is a certain sector of human society that does in fact ingest dog food, because it is cheaper than “human food” meat, and they need protein.

That said, this particular woman should have known better. It’s not as though her dog would have gone “Oh, well, if SHE ate it! Away we go, then!”

On the other hand, the dog must have eaten it, because he went to the vet too.

23. Craig says:

Smart dog.

24. Trai_Dep says:

For those insinuating she was a loon for sampling obviously poisoned food:

Elaine Larabie said Saturday she ate some dog food last week.

…So the timeline’s about right: at or before the news became widespread.

25. formergr says:

From what I’ve read, all dry foods are okay, right? It’s getting hard to keep up… For the record, my cat gets Hill’s Science Diet Light formula, dry food (she has a bit of a weight problem).

26. Kromem says:

She should have grabbed some Taco Bell to wash it down with — the rat poison would have been neutralized.

Oh, and leave the poor girl alone — you should have seen the trouble she got into teaching the dog to piss.

27. FLConsumer says:

There’s the comment of the day right there.

28. Nicholai says:

Wow, this has to be the most embarrassing way to get food poisoning.

29. wallspray says:

does anyone else think she did this on purpose to sue, and said she was trying to trick the dog into thinking it was people food? there is no way she did not know about this recall!

30. jeblis says:

I’ve got some food from that plant, dates aren;t within those listed…time to feed it to some neighborhood cats to test it….just kidding.

31. Helvetian says:

@zingbot: One of my friends is feeding her cat lean deli slices of turkey breast, tuna in fresh water (not oil or butter), etc. She is doing this until the issue is resolved with the tainted food. Also I can’t ever imagine eating dog food, but according to a commercial I once saw; impoverished senior citizens sometimes eat dog food spread over crackers to survive.

32. Anonymous says:

Does anyone remember the SNL faux commercial for Petchow brand rat poison?

I do.

33. schvitzatura says:

“Indulge his heart”?

With anything Menu Foods, more like “Stop his heart…forever”.

34. kskatzke says:

Facsinating — The recall hasn’t been expanded, but MenuFoods doesn’t want to release the press release that says the recall hasn’t been expanded over the news wires. Why not?

35. ILikeDollars says:

She might be able to seek compensation for her dog’s sickness, but she has no grounds for compensation for eating it herself. Dog food is not required to be safe for human consumption. She might as well have drank 10w30 and then complained that it made her sick.

36. Mr. Gunn says:

“vomiting and foaming of the mouth.” – has she had her rabies shot?

/I’m in ur kibblez, eatin’ ur rat poison!