Great Moments In Commercial History: Eagle Insurance

What can you say about Eagle Man? We grew up with this commercial, and even remember the first time we saw it. Even at that tender age, we wondered how in God’s name Eagle MAN was laying eggs.

This version has been slightly modified, Chicagoans will remember (and probably be able to mimic with alarming fidelity) the Eagle Man’s original line, “I’ve…got…something…for… you!” It’s not the words. It’s the way he said it.

Anyhow, here it is. The infamous, the inexplicable, the Eagle Man!

If you’d like to nominate a commercial for our weekly series, “Great Moments In Commercial History,” please send an email to tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. And if anyone has the original Eagle Man commercial, let us know! —MEGHANN MARCO

Comments

1. Smashville says:

The Soup beat you to it on this one…

2. not_seth_brundle says:

Don’t forget Eagle Woman. Look! She’s dropping her rates!

3. superlayne says:

..That was…a bit…gelatinous..for an egg…

In fifth grade we put eggs in vinegar for a week, and that’s what that looks like to me. D: I dropped mine, it splattered, and I got points off. I cried. My teacher was a jerk.

4. juri squared says:

Eagle Man – a good test to see if someone is actually from Chicago!

Testing them on the Empire phone number was good, too, until they went national.

This commercial traumatized me as a child.

5. dantsea says:

Here in Seattle, our entry into the bizarre local commercial competition is Vern Fonk. There’s an entire slate of commercial weirdness on their site:

For high “what the hell?” factor, I reccomend the “Holiday” commercial:

A bit of trivia: The man in the commercial isn’t Vern Fonk, though the late Mr. Fonk does make an appearance in the “Fonk Way” ad (older man sitting at the bus stop).

6. Greasy Thumb Guzik says:

An even better test to see if someone is from Chicago is the Boushelle Rug Cleaning phone number.
    And you have to sing it!

7. Jim says:

Thanks for the flashback! Remember the ones with Mancow?

8. DoppleSeth says:

The Phat Free not too long ago did a list of the “50 Greatest Local TV Commercials” Eagelman was there, but they did miss out on DC area favorites like Senate “Just kiss my bumper just kiss it” Insurance, or GEBCO.

Oddly both insurance companies with horrible commercials, that you just can’t forget no matter how hard you try.

9. MrFalcon says:

Whoo hoo! It’s Eagle Man! It is a little more scary that they’ve “updated” it…I feel like there are hordes of people out there that aren’t going to get the full experience now! Thanks for posting it!

10. There was even an Eagle commercial that had Mancow in it back in the day.

The commercial I can’t get stuck out of my head is the Empire carpet commercials 588-2300…Empire!

Damn.

11. Aeroracere says:

For some inexplicable reason we had WGN broadcasting in downeast Maine when I was growing up, so pretty much everyone there also knew the ‘Empire Jingle’. That any Harry Caray talking about ‘Cool, Crisp Budweiser’ are memories I’ll have my whole life.

You go get those hot dogs, Harry… you eat them right up…

12. Youthier says:

Wow, look at all the others traumatized by Eagle Man! I also remember when my mom wanted to put new carpet in my room at age 5, I wanted to go to Empire. That commercial apparently worked very well.

13. I miss Eagle Man!

14. UnStatusTheQuo says:

@Jim:

Yes, Mancow really classed up the commercial. I love how even he joked about it years later. Funny that neither Eagle Man nor Mancow can be found in Chicago now… thanks Q101!

15. kerry says:

@solareclipse2: I have a friend who gave out the Empire carpet number to a guy because she’s not very quick on her feet. Luckily he didn’t recognize it.
    The summer the Eagle Man commercials were running all the time I was a camp counselor and all my girls just loved doing that line over … and over … and over. More annoying than the ad, really.
    When I was in college I adored the ads for Bob’s Discount Furniture in New England. Can’t find any ads online, but their website gives you an idea of how awesome they are:

16. oudemia says:

@kerry: Giving out the Empire carpet number to yucky boys was a time-honored Chicago tradition. It worked best if you wrote it down rather than spoke it, but you’d be surprised at how well saying “two three zero zero” worked as a disguise.

17. kerry says:

@oudemia: I never thought anybody would fall for it. The punch line of that story is that a few days later she ran into him and he said “Hey, I tried to call you last night.” He was pretty pissed.

18. Eyebrows (hearts) Chicago Meghann

“Do you have INSURANCE on this car?!?!?!?”

I swear, YouTube was invented specifically so I could introduce my non-Chicagoan husband to the glories of Eagle Man.

19. simpleguru says:

It must be EAGLE MAN… Look at those looowww rates.

Those commercials did me more damage than good as a child.

The “save big money at Menard’s” theme is another one thats stuck with me – its right up there with the Empire phone number as things that still randomly get themselves stuck in my head for days on end…