Recalled Pet Food Still On Walmart Shelves

Over a week since a national pet food recall involving over 80 name brands, recalled pet food can still be found on Walmart shelves. The pet food has been linked to several pet deaths, and can cause kidney failure. From WKYC:

We found over three shelves full of Ol’ Roy, one of the recalled brands.

Only three varieties of Ol’ Roy have been recalled, and with so many varieties, this can be confusing for customers.

A WalMart spokesperson told us their stores are carefully handling the recall, and also issued a statement.

For a list of the recalled brands, click here. Do not assume that food left on store shelves is safe. —MEGHANN MARCO

Recalled Pet Food Still On Store Shelves [WKYC]

Comments

1. mopar_man says:

This isn’t surprising considering it’s taking them so long to get rid of their Nazi shirts.

2. 44 in a Row says:

This is why it was worth getting up in arms over the t-shirts. If they can’t get their act together for something like a shirt, then how can we expect them to actually handle something serious like food that will kill your pets?

3. CatLady says:

PetConnection has gotten reports of over 200 pets dead (http://petconnection.com/blog/), but the plant in Kansas City that churned out this stuff is still going strong (http://www.itchmo.com/read/fda-still-unaware-of-gluten-source-contaminated-plant-still-open_20070321). The FDA had never inspected it.

What are the FDA guidelines for following (or not following) a recall by pulling product from the shelves? If this was something for humans (like bread), the mainstream press would be all over any company who tried to profiteer by not withdrawing the products from their shelves. Even if it WAS Wal-Mart.

4. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I found two cans in my cupboard with the right UPC code, but a later manufacturing date..but it’s getting tossed anyway.

Fortunately I feed my dog mostly raw food, so the canned stuff is only used for emergencies.

5. ConsumptionJunkie says:

Oh, Noes!

Somebody BEST call that Edelman douche-bag, Mike Krempasky.

6. mopar_man says:

As was pointed out in the recall post, the same plant makes the food but it goes down different lines with different ingredients.

7. OnceWasCool says:

My question is……

My neighbor’s dog stays in my yard. Can’t I buy this dog food on sale and feed it to death? literally

8. ptkdude says:

Wal-Mart has apparently left the job of pulling recalled products off the shelves to the rat, but he’s busy eating the donuts in the bakery since his preferred snack (peanut butter) has also been recalled.

9. niccernicus says:

@dwayne_dibbly: “I looked at the list of brands, and I’m wondering why I’d paying $1.25 a can for IAMS, when it appears to be the same stuff I get at Market Basket for 50 cents?”

Call me crazy, but I think that there’s a chance that more than one company, whether “premium” or “generic” uses corn in their products. And it could be possible that these different quality products happen to come from the same manufacturing facility.

Plus add in the R & D that a top level company like Iams adds to their product and the cost differential is justified.

Why does Nike sell shoes for $85 – $100 and Payless sells them for $10? Both are made of leather in a 3rd world country?

10. infinitysnake says:

I’m curious why the cans in the picture don’t appear to be recalled varieties?

11. ExVee says:

The store I work at was pretty careful about getting the affected product off the shelves, even consulting me despite that I no longer work in Pets, but was the person with the most experience with the different product lines to check with. I also am having some problems with the wording in the quoted newsbit. My interpretation is that they’re raising an issue over ALL Ol’ Roy not being pulled from shelves, rather than just the few varieties across the different types that were confirmed affected by whatever started this, and the article does not in fact say at any point that the store they visited had not removed the recalled food, as was the case at the first store. Only that there was a large amount left, which could have easily been the non-recalled products in both pouches and cans. Something just doesn’t seem right here.

12. royal72 says:

“The company reassures “As an additional precautionary measure, we have also put a sales restriction on the products in question so that, should one inadvertently be scanned, a restriction notice will come up for the cashier.”

yeah just like the guy who recently purchased the nazi shirt, by bringing a comparable shirt to the cashier and it was scanned when the nazi shirt wouldn’t ring up. walmart get off your ass and take the shit off the shelves.

13. ZonzoMaster says:

It’s the nazi shirt problem all over again!

14. homerjay says:

NEWS FLASH! WAL-MART STAFFED AND MANAGED BY IDIOTS!

Story at 11.

15. The sale restriction does not comfort me. Werent several people able to purchase the nazi shirts regardless of the restriction?

Will the same thing happen with the pet food?

Clerk: “I’m sorry, you cant buy this pet food”
    Customer: “Well why the hell not!?”
    Clerk: “I really dont know sir/ma’m”
    Customer: “Sell it to me then”
    Clerk: “Okay”

16. Trai_Dep says:

Half a WEEK ago, I sauntered into my local PetSmart.

Tainted, kidney-failing, fluffy-kitten killing food cans? Gone. Not just the non-tainted batches. Every. Single. Suspect. Flavor. Gone. Zero. Empty shelves.

Same with my locally owned mom & pop place (I shop both).

If Petsmart not only clears the poisoned cans, but goes the extra miles and removes any of that affected variety, why can’t Wal-Mart? If the pot-addled (but SO nice) independent pet store does the same, why can’t Wal-Mart?

Oops. Asked and answered. Wal-Mart is freaken evil.

First time I can say this and not be guilty of hyperbole: Wal-Mart is a haven for puppy-killers and kitten-murderers.

17. Trai_Dep says:

Oh, anyone that has tainted (or suspected) tainted cans. DON’T toss them. Take them back to the store for exchange. If they don’t take them, shop somewhere else.

Both places I shop at looked at me quizzically when I asked their return policy. Both said, “Of course, bring them in!” They were surprised I had any doubt.

18. gruffydd says:

When I heard about this problem on newsradio, I turned to my husband and said, “If dog food I bought at Walmart killed Griffey, I’d burn Walmart to the ground!” The look he gave was priceless….he has no idea what that dog means to me.

19. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

@mopar_man and @n1ckel5: Good points. It would be interesting to compare the expensive stuff and the cheap stuff and see if they were actually different, and if so, by how much? Are the ingredients significantly different, or is the difference in price going to advertising?

All I could picture was one massive factory slapping different labels on the exact same product. I’ve always thought they did that with sneakers, too..one big factory cranking out the same sneaker, and coming down one chute, people pasting Nike labels on them, and on the other chute, Payless labels.

What can I say, I’m just naturally suspicious.

20. CumaeanSibyl says:

So what happens when someone dies from eating salmonella peanut butter or E. coli spinach leaves bought at a WalMart? Do they think taking the product out of the scanner system is adequate coverage for a wrongful-death suit?

More importantly, would a jury agree?

21. niccernicus says:

@dwayne_dibbly:

Ha ha, Dwayne. The mental picture of the sticker-slapping footwear chute made me chuckle.

Point to ponder, when the big companies charging more money have similar products to generics, is it because it’s inferior, or is the generic copying it? It’s not like you haven’t seen a payless shoe model which looks like some hot new Nikes, only to see they’re made of pleather, and mark leaving soles. It’s easier to duplicate than innovate.

22. BlackBirdTA says:

In a couple of months are we going to have cellphone pictures of pet food in Wal-Mart? “Poison Pet Food Watch – Week 8″