Purdue University Will Gladly Forward RIAA Letters To Students

Unlike the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Purdue University will be happy to forward the RIAA’s threatening letters to its students. From The Journal & Courier:

If an Internet user notified decides not to pay the settlement, the music association will ask the university for its computer logs so it can pursue legal action. University spokeswoman Jeanne Norberg said the university would comply with the requests.

Norberg added that the university could be asked to identify potentially thousands of Internet users, causing a financial burden at Purdue.

The language of this article suggests that not only will Purdue forward the letters, but they will furnish the RIAA with names of students upon request. The university’s position on identifying students has not been confirmed. —MEGHANN MARCO

Copyrighted Materials Information [Purdue]
Purdue will pass along notices about music download complaints [Journal & Courier] (Thanks, Kyle!)

PREVIOUSLY: University of Wisconsin-Madison Will Not Forward RIAA Letters To Students
RIAA Bullies College Students With P2PLawsuits.com
The RIAA P2PLawsuit Letter Sent To College Students

Comments

1. timmus says:

Unbelievable.. Purdue is essentially allowing a third party to goof around with its logs so that said third party can threaten legal action on Purdue students. All completely outside of any court jurisdiction.

By extrapolation, this means that if I see a Purdue IP trying to hack my website or submit false credit card data to my shopping carts, Purdue will say “help yourself, here’s their account data”.

If one day I ever go insane and decide to screw over all my customers, the first person I’m hiring will be Jeanne Norberg. I’ll want her on my side.

2. Stepehn Colbert says:

ya gotta get a picture of this man/woman up there. That’ll piss “it” off pretty good.

3. josh1701 says:

Here’s the response from another school.

Below are the first few paragraphs from an Associated Press article, “UNL can’t identify most of its 36 alleged illegal downloaders”:

“The University of Nebraska-Lincoln can’t figure out which 36 student names it should turn over to the Recording Industry Association of America for lawsuits alleging illegal file-sharing.

“The university stores the computer records for only 31 days, so it’s been able to identify only 13 of the 36 users.

“The university ranks third nationally for the number of complaints it has received from the recording industry trade group for music illegally downloaded on campus computer networks.

“Last month, the association said it intended to sue more students and others on campuses in the next three months than it has in the past three years.”

4. Disgruntled CC Employee says:

So, if any false information is submitted to the RIAA, does that make Purdue liable?

5. superlayne says:

Thank goodness I’m not in college yet. Honestly, though, that is a bit…Well, considering how in any other college they pretty much can’t get your name unless you give it up, this seems a bit unfair on the students part.

But it does ask the question:

WHO “owns” the logs?

Is it an invasion of the students’ privacy, or is it alright for the school to shell it out, seeing as they provide the Internet (as far as I know)? Would Purdue do this for any other 3rd party asking for information?

6. josh1701 says:

@superlayne: According to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act:

Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student’s education record. However, FERPA allows schools to disclose those records, without consent, to the following parties or under the following conditions (34 CFR § 99.31):

* School officials with legitimate educational interest;
    * Other schools to which a student is transferring;
    * Specified officials for audit or evaluation purposes;
    * Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student;
    * Organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the school;
    * Accrediting organizations;
    * To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
    * Appropriate officials in cases of health and safety emergencies; and
    * State and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific State law.

7. 44 in a Row says:

* To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;

Right, but are we talking about a subpoena? Or just a “request” from the RIAA?

8. appleface says:

Purdue University sounds more like Perdue Chicken!!!
    The RIAA can go [expletive deleted][expletive deleted][expletive deleted] themselves. People shouldn’t be stealing music, but suing college students and little old ladies doesn’t make much sense to me.

9. AcilletaM says:

Wow, I guess score one for the People’s Republic of Madison.

10. notlazyjustdontcare says:

I’m not sure FERPA would include computer network logs under “academic record.” I don’t think a reasonable person would consider that academic information, and the records certainly aren’t kept in the same place, in the same way or for the same length of time. That’s not to mention that FERPA was passed in 1974.

11. josh1701 says:

@notlazyjustdontcare Not being a lawyer, I believe you’re right about computer network logs not falling under FERPA. However, under “a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena,” schools would be required to release the contact information of the students accused of illegally downloading music.

12. Karl says:

One thing that I haven’t seen mentioned is the fact that the universities that agree to forward the RIAA’s letters have also agreed to retain their logs for at least 180 days. From the letter sent to ISPs when they introduced this program:

“We can extend this Pre-Suit settlement option only to those ISPs who agree to maintain the log files for the IP addresses for at least 180 days.”

As far as I know, they’re not under any other obligation to keep the log files for any specific amount of time. I can’t see any reason for any university to agree to this, other than to help the RIAA screw over poor students.

13. pdxguy says:

After reading that, I’ve never felt more proud to say that I’m a University of Wisconsin alum – Go Badgers!

14. r81984 says:

This is a sad day in the history of Purdue. They are basically an accomplice in sending extortion letters to students.

Its not like Purdue to do something like this, WTF is happening to Purdue???

Does Purdue need a change in leadership????

15. r81984 says:

Here is the link to Purdue’s Resnet TOS:

6. I shall not use my Network connection to engage in any form of illegal software sharing, file sharing, copying, or engage in any way in other types of copyright infringement. I shall comply with the United States copyright law and with the copyright policy of Purdue University. I understand that I can access information on copyright from the Purdue University Copyright Office at http://www.lib.purdue.edu/uco.

7. I understand that this Network connection is subject to monitoring, with cause, as determined through consultation with the Dean of Students and/or University Residences when applicable. This may include monitoring aggregate bandwidth usage to effectively manage limited Network resources, as well as monitoring traffic content in response to a legal or law enforcement request to do so.

12. In critical situations, Purdue University reserves the right to disconnect any device or disable any account if it is believed that either is involved in compromising the information security of the University. Any use of this connection that constitutes a violation of University Regulations could result in administrative or disciplinary procedures through the Office of the Dean of Students and/or University Residences.

I can see how Purdue would take away the students internet privledges for viotlation their TOS, but to let them keep their internet and forward an RIAA extortion letter is insane.

Purdue should punish the students their way not the RIAA’s way.

16. IC18 says:

This is why Perdue sucks. Its not enough the tution now a days is crazy high, but students gotta put up with Bull*** as well, I hope the RIAA burns in HELL for all that they are doing.

17. mac-phisto says:

see, the thing about leeches is that once they take hold, they never let go. today it’s 36 students that won’t be able to come up with next years’ tuition money. tomorrow it’s 100. next year it’s 1000.

pretty soon, purdue won’t have to worry about illegal file sharing on their network by a non-existent student body.

18. maverickuw says:

Well, at my university, because of FERPA, they can’t even acknowledge that you live in the dorms, even to parents, family members, or police without a lawful court order, or unless you check a box and sign next to it allowing them to. Theoretically, if they did disclose that information, one could sue the university under FERPA and actually make a profit off this. Granted, my school says they will cooperate, but that doesn’t mean they legally can.