Free Dunkin Donuts Iced Coffee Today

Yes. Today is the day! If you do decide to join the madness and get a free iced coffee, please take pictures of any incidents of depravity, murder, or coffee induced panic and send them to tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Alternatively you can upload them to Flickr and submit them to our Flickr pool. Be sure to tag them with some variation of “dunkin donuts.”

In other news, for those of your on the east coast: Rita’s Italian Ice is giving away a free “Regular Italian Ice” at all of their locations. —MEGHANN MARCO

Rita’s Italian Ice (Thanks, Steve!)
(Photo: Cmorran123)

Comments

1. acambras says:

Everything was fine here in Central Connecticut — since it’s pretty cold, I don’t think people are busting down the doors for iced coffee (even if it’s free). Several of us at the office got ours this morning. The line was no longer than usual, and they even put a shot of caramel swirl in mine at no extra charge.

2. phypennwl says:

We Philadelphians don’t know what Italian Ice is. It’s all about the water ice here.

As for DD, the one I went to had an express line for the iced coffee, and I got mine within 2 minutes. The store seemed almost empty.

3. madktdisease says:

I don’t start work until 10:30 , and the line at the drive-through was no deeper than any other day. I have to say, the DD employees were awesome, they added flavor in for me (I expected that they probably wouldn’t), and they were extremely cheery, even though the free coffee was all I ordered (today).

Totally made my day.

4. B says:

I just want to point out that it’s 10 degrees outside today. A little too cold for iced coffee in Vermont.

5. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

@phypennwl:

Yeah, what the hell is up with “water ice”? I live at the Jersey shore (where there are lots of Ritas), and used to live in North Jersey. Everyone calls it Italian Ice. Then on Good Day NY, they kept saying Ritas was giving out free “water ice”…which sounds very unappealing. And boring.

6. EtherealStrife says:

It’s sunny and in the mid 60’s at 7:30am. Sadly, the nearest DD is 365 miles away. :(

7. ConsumptionJunkie says:

I just had my THIRD free, iced coffee, and boy is my head spinning.

Here in Bawstin, all the DD EEs ask “Would you like anything to eat?” if you only order off the free menu. When I say “no,” they look at me like I’m the dregs of DD customers.

8. akyiba says:

Water Ice, Italian Ice it’s all the same. Water ice sounds better to me. If there was only a Rita’s up here in MA…Mmmm Rita’s WATER ICE….

9. Harlot says:

The DD down near City Hall Park (NYC) wasn’t doing the “Free Iced Coffee” thing this morning. I asked and the woman behind the counter said it didn’t start until later today, so I had to pay. Hmm…

10. gardencat says:

It’s too cold here too!

11. BelBivDevolkswagen says:

Man, it’d be nice if they had a DD here in Oregon…

12. CarlC says:

Yeah, water ice! Yuze gotta problem wit dat? Yunner Stan?

How we talk in Philadelphia….

Actually, I am a Jersey boy (over the bridge) but my parents are from Philly. :-)
    I work in Philly and am one of the “Jersey” people to the locals. :-)

13. CarlC says:

PS…. Rita’s is from the Philly area…

Rita’s opened in the summer of 1984. Asphalt was bubbling. Swimming pools were evaporating. The tires were melting off of ice cream trucks. Needless to say, it was a very successful summer, but it wasn’t due to just the weather.

In the months preceding the May grand opening of the first Rita’s store, Bob Tumolo and his mother, Elizabeth, were busy experimenting on recipes for Italian water ice. A fresh-squeezed lemon here, some chunks of fruit there – eventually the Tumolo’s found themselves with quite possibly the best Italian Ice they had ever tasted.

That Friday in Bensalem, Pennsylvania, the response was overwhelming – people really seemed to love it. Word of mouth spread like Italian Ice on a hot summer sidewalk. In 1985, Bob’s brother John Tumolo joined the business, and a second location was added in 1987. By 1989, the family decided to franchise its stores.

14. evilfremen says:

Went to DD today in Washington DC. No one was around and there was hardly anyone there. Got my free coffee, which was already made and just waiting, but there was nothing advertising it and I feel like most people were not even aware of the deal. Regardless it wasn’t nearly as good as my free Starbucks last week, though that may be partially due to the chilly weather.

15. Youthier says:

What size are these? I remember from working “Free Cappuchino Blast” day at BR 8 years ago, they were 6-8 oz cups and people complained a lot.

16. CarlC says:

@missbrooke06: Just got back from DD and I have the small iced coffee in my cold hand.
    I think it is the 16 oz size.

17. cheesebubble says:

I find it interesting that almost everyone jumped on the anti-Starbucks bandwagon when they were offering free coffee a week or so ago (myself included). Nary an anti-Dunkin’ Donuts comment here! Not even an “up yours” to Rita’s Italian Ice. It pays to have the public like you.

To liberally borrow from “mrdelayer”: I swear, if you could hug people over the Internet, everyone who had commented on this post before me would be loved to death by now.

18. Just got back from “The Double-D” with my free 16oz Iced Coffee in hand.

The store has been advertising it for a week or so and didn’t give me any flack when I walked in.

They even let me combine my winning ticket from the Sip/Scratch/Score game so I got a free coffe AND a free donut – I’m gonna be on a caffeine/sugar buzz for an hour and then take a nap!

19. Dustbunny says:

@BelBivDevolkswagen:

Ha! You beat me to it. With all the coffee places we have in Portland, you’d think DD would be here too.

20. Snakeophelia says:

Rita’s is open!! Yayyyy! That’s the best part of Philly. And there’s one within walking distance of my house. I knew I was craving a gelato for some reason.

21. alicetheowl says:

I said it before: I miss having a Dunkin’ Donuts nearby. The closest we have is Krispy Kreme. It’s not the same. :(

22. EtherealStrife says:

Uh wait a sec. I seem to recall seeing several Dunkin Donuts out here in Southern California (and I just checked, I have coupons for them in my Entertainment Book). Anyone know why DD suddenly bailed on us West Coasters? I remember at least two within 10 miles of my house…I presume they suddenly closed for some reason? Or are they like the easter eggs of the donut world?

23. asherchang says:

Although it’s been really humid and raining real hard, I think I’m still gonna get an iced coffee now that it’s cooled down a bit. :)