UPDATE: "Comcast Bullies Customer for Cash, Breaks His Hard Drive, Drills Huge Holes In Walls And Baseboards"

Remember Jason? He had the Comcast tech from hell. The cable installation tech asked Jason for cash, drilled holes in his baseboards, broke his Media Center PC, installed the wrong router…

Jason writes:

Hi guys,
I just wanted to update you on my Comcast issue – and give a huge THANK YOU to you guys & the Consumerist site. I truly believe that without your attention to the story, that it would not have rated so high on the minds of the people that ended up handling the matter.

I posted the end results on the website, along with some great before/after shots of the work, and a copy of the check they hand delivered as well. Again – thank you for everything.

Jason

Aw, shucks. We’re blushing. More pictures inside.

As you recall, Jason’s Comcast tech bullied him for cash, unplugged his Media Center PC without powering it down (breaking it) and drilled a bunch of nasty holes in his walls and baseboards.

Since appearing on the Consumerist everything has been fixed. Comcast and Helm Cable hand delivered a check for the damaged hard drive and proper outlets were installed in Jason’s home.

We attribute this to Jason’s excellent documentation of the problem. He did everything right. Be sure to visit Jason’s site to see what a well written complaint looks like. Congratulations, Jason! —MEGHANN MARCO

beforeafterjason.jpg

Comcast Fix My Problem

Comments

1. Havok154 says:

it’s sad that my home looks like the before and I still haven’t had a chance to make it look like the after yet.

2. mopar_man says:

Good news. It’s always nice to hear how this website has helped out someone in a situation like this.

3. Its great to hear they fixed it!

I still haven’t figured out why he had to give them cash, as I never have had to, they just bill me…but thats ok, problem fixed!

4. razz4901 says:

It is great that they fixed what they broke. A couple of years ago I had a new cable line installed in my home by a Comcast Contractor, while they were installing the line they managed to drill thru a major electrical cable supplying my home. I ended up with no electricty for 3 days and a bill for $300 for repairs. The contractor told me no problem they would pay, “just call his insurance.” I called his insurance and it had been cancelled weeks before. It took me several weeks of numerous calls and letter to Comcast to make them pay for the damage. I never did get an apology.

5. Sal says:

I have to wonder about the damage to the media center. Had the power gone out wouldn’t the same problem have occurred?

6. Jesse in Japan says:

After some of the Comcast techs I’ve read about on The Consumerist, I’d hardly call this guy the “tech from hell.”

7. ZonzoMaster says:

@Jesse in Japan: I agree

8. slowenuff says:

I dont understand why he didnt make the contractor leave. Comcast does have actual cable guys that work for them. He should have made the jerk leave when they drilled through his floor. Not continue to do a halfassed install then whine about it after the fact. In my opinion Jason got what he deserved.If a girl goes into a Salon for a shampoo and the stylist starts to shave her head umm Im betting the chick will at least ask a question.

9. OnceWasCool says:

I can’t for the life of me understand why people are still using cable since Dish Network or Direct TV has come out. The service is outstanding from day one. Only those that can’t get DSL would need it.

10. mac-phisto says:

@oncewascool: why do i use cable for internet? 30Mbps down & ~1.5Mbps up (& i speedtest like twice a week to make sure they’re not screwing me). seriously, dsl & satellite internet comes nowhere near my speed. i can download a full-length, full-screen, high-res video feed in 5 minutes tops w/ no chops. & i’m running a 6-yr old frankenstein hp.

& i have direct tv for actual tv. it sucks, it’s expensive & i have billing problems with them all the time. i can’t wait until sunday ticket is offered by cablevision in 2 years.

11. hop says:

direct tv works ok for me….we have had it for 8 years and haven’t had any problems…..comcast is too expenxive for us……

12. Slosh says:

It’s nice that the issue was resolved, but i wag my finger at comcast, a customer shouldn’t have to create a website to get their issues resolved.

13. timmus says:

Interesting — I live in a retro Victorian house and I was standing outside contemplating how Time-Warner cable (with the previous occupants) routed a whole bunch of ugly coaxial wiring horizontally on the exterior walls, which punches right through the room via an exterior-interior hole. Sprint did the same thing with telco wiring. Then I recalled how a lot of houses are decked out that way.

I’m never letting a cable or phone installer route ONE wire without my permission. Better yet I already know how to do wiring myself… never thought the skill would come in handy.

14. JohnMc says:

Kudos to Jason!

15. AcidReign says:

@oncewascool: One analog Charter Expanded Basic line: about $50 a month. Hooked up via powered splitters: 4 TVs, 3 VCRs, and two PC TV cards. Wonder what nine receivers would cost from DirectTV? When my kids move out, I might consider a dish, but I’m not really wanting to cut down my wall of trees on the southern end of property. I’m not keen on a view of a 4-lane highway…