Massive Pet Food Recall After Animal Deaths

60 millions cans and pouches of pet food were recalled this weekend after being linked to 10 animal deaths by kidney failure.

Menu Foods announced the recall on “cuts and gravy” style pet food sold under numerous brands, including store brands for Wal-Mart, Kroger, and Safeway, as well as name-brands like Nestl

Purina PetCare and Science Diet.

A complete list of affected products and serial numbers is on Menu Foods website.

Symptoms of kidney failure include lethargy and jaundice. Immediate hospitalization is advised if your pet shows these symptoms and you’ve fed them a can of the recalled product.

What makes this really sad is owners often feed cuts and gravy style canned food to their pets as a special treat. One reader wrote in saying she gave some to her dog for its birthday, only to discover later the cans were part of the recalled batch.

Menu Foods floundered over the weekend in keeping pace with concerned consumer inquiries. The list of recalled product was initially only available as an excel sheet. A “contact us” section, now removed, led to a “404 not found” error. Menu Foods toll-free recall line, (866) 895-2708, continues to emit a constant busy signal. — BEN POPKEN

Pet Food Is Recalled After Link to Animal Deaths [NYT]
(Photo: Artnchicken)

Comments

1. ConsumptionJunkie says:

i’m in ur kitch-
    er, um, i’m feelin a little weak, sorry

2. weave says:

This pretty much proves that dog and cat food is the same at various levels except for the branding. Interesting to me how Iams charges a premium yet it lists them along side of store-brand and other budget brands.

It also may be due to my faulty memory, but I’m pretty sure Iams wasn’t on that list Saturday because I went looking at the list to match what was in my cupboard, don’t remember seeing them, but went to the Iams website to double check and sure enough there was a link on their page listing their affected products. But today I see Iams on the Menu Foods list.

Anyway, I got a case of Iams that matches the product and plant code but the date code is lower. I fed one can of it to my cats about two weeks ago, they both hated it, so my dog finished it up. The rest of the case hasn’t been used, so thinking of just tossing it to be safe.

While they can usually trace a problem like this back to an individual plant, the lower date range I am betting is just guess work based on the incidences and figuring out from those test cases when the problem must have started. The higher date range is probably OK because that’s when they corrected whatever the problem is.

3. DrWebster says:

Just an FYI, Purina has only recalled one product, a type of dog food, and that’s because they say it’s out of an “abundance of caution.” Otherwise, Purina products are safe.

4. rekoil says:

If so, I’d love to find out what the contaminant actually was and how it got into the food. I’m sure the vets treating pets sickened by the bad food would like to know as well.

5. VeryFancyBunny says:

@weave: I was disturbed by the thought that all of this pet food comes from the same place, too. We sometimes buy Nutro wet food for our dog; when we adopted him, the rescue group recommended Nutro as one of the higher-quality brands. And now it seems it comes from the same place as all of the P&G food and supermarket food. Also, you are right that the list of affected food has grown since the beginning of the weekend. I’ve been watching the list since last week, and new brands have been added to it.

This makes me think of the Simpsons episode where all the meat for the different restaurants at the Springfield Squidport came from the same vat.

6. Tallanvor says:

While they probably share a lot of the same ingredients, and it’s possible that in some cases one version is just the generic version of the other, sometimes companies just run multiple products on the same line, just at different times. Unfortunately, this causes problems, because when a contaminant gets into one product, it’s hard to determine if it got into other products that used the same equipment.

I always hate these types of recalls, since pets are really at the mercy of people to hear about the matter and make sure to stop using the affected food. And right now I’m glad my cats eat dry food!

7. misskaz says:

Yikes. I came really close to buying some of that Nutro wet food as a treat a week or so ago for my dog. She doesn’t usually eat the stuff (she gets food that’s better quality than what I feed myself) but it was on sale and I thought it might be a fun treat. Glad I decided not to get it!

8. weave says:

I predict there will be a large class action suit against this company where they will have to pay $30 million in damages, the law firm will get $26 million for their time and expenses, and the consumers will get a coupon for three free cans of tuna flaked pet food.

9. Ben Popken says:

NYT says it might be traceable to a new wheat gluten supplier.

10. Falconfire says:

@rekoil: According to reports, they changed the provider of wheat or some other grain product they where using to save money, and everything this provider gave them was contaminated.

11. birdbrain says:

At a cat forum that I frequent, I’m hearing that that list is somewhat incomplete. Many people are just cutting out wet food altogether until this passes, because they don’t want to find out that their brand of food will be added to the list tomorrow.

I also heard from a Petsmart employee that you can return any of those foods affected to Petsmart – even if you didn’t buy it there and even if you don’t have a receipt. I’m not 100% sure, but that’s what she said.

I’m doubly grateful that I feed my cats high-quality food, but I suppose that it could happen even to the holistic brands.

12. dbeahn says:

It’s amazing that according to their list, Science Diet, Nutro Max and Save-a-Lot and Wal-Mart store brands are all the same product apparently.

Slight price difference, and the “name” brands are marketed as being much better for your pet, etc etc etc

13. BillyMumphry says:

I had about 8 pouches of Nutro for my cat and 1 was left when the recall came. The one left over was on the list but like the above poster the date range did not match but threw it out regardless. Hopefully none of the others were of the bad batch (they all seem to be very recent, whereas mine were a little older). No signs of a problem so far, thank God.

14. infinitysnake says:

I’m finding the recall unecessarily difficult, actually. I have several cans that are on their list, yet the meaning of the dates is unclear, and there’s not a hint to be found anywhere about where to take the affected cans. Worsae, when I went to replace the bad food, it was still all over the shelves.

15. Terminixsux says:

The question I keep having is about the low-quality pet foods and the high quality pet foods coming from the same manufacturer. I wonder what is really the difference besides the price and the feeling you get from getting your cat or dog the best there is? You think the extra few cents is a small enough price to pay for you pet to avoid such toxins and by-products, but is it really? Does anyone know? I can’t seem top find anything that discusses this, and the Nutro site hasn’t addressed it either. I pikced Nutro becuase I was told it was oine of the only foods that didn’t use meat by-products. Now you read about this recall, and I wonder if it’s just their way of using a loophole. If anyone knows the truth about this, it would be great to see it shared in here.

Thanks

16. kellkell says:

@weave, feeding your dog cat food, especially canned cat food, can be dangerous in and of itself. Not many people realize (unfortunately I know because a neighbor made the mistake and it cost them their dogs life) that because of their different makeup the foods are tailored to the species needs. Most cat food is much higher in proteins and other vitamins than dog food, some dogs can tolerate it, but others will go into kidney failure. This of course isn’t instant, just like with chocolate, so 1 meal won’t kill them. But you should be sure that your dog isn’t getting cat food on a regular basis or you could be headed for some very large vet bills (at the least) down the line.

17. phrygian says:

I’ve been buying the Nutro Natural foods for my cats for years because they’re a higher quality food product than other brands. It bothers me that I spend so much more for a product that’s healthier for my pets, but it’s not even regularly monitored for things that are poisonous.

I only feed my cats the wet food occasionally; I think the last time was at Christmas. At any rate, I had 8 of those wet food packets left; I tossed them without even looking at the stamps. I’m glad that I’d been too forgetful to actually feed them to my cats.

18. weave says:

@kellkell: Thanks for that advice. I didn’t know that. The normal household routine is that the dog goes outside in the morning, the cats eat, then the dog comes in and licks the bowls clean.

The dog’s digestive system always amazes me. The dog will drink nasty water standing for days outside and be fine, yet if she gets into the trash and licks a take-out container of ravioli dinner clean she’ll have diarrhea for a week.

19. misskaz says:

@Terminixsux:
    There is a wide range of quality for dog and cat foods. The food I feed my dog is, I believe, a good quality food above what you can find at the grocery store or even Petsmart.

Whole Dog Journal reviews the best canned and dry foods, but a subscription is required to see the articles on their website, which sucks. I found a pretty good guide here.

Generally speaking, you want to find a food that has meat or meat meal listed as the first ingredient or ingredients. Meat by-products or digest are no good. Try to find something with as few grains as possible.

The highest quality foods are more expensive, although usually you need to feed less because there are less fillers. (They tend to reduce the volume of poop to deal with too, bonus!)

You may need to try several brands before finding one that works for your pet. I tried many of the high quality foods (Canidae, Solid Gold, and others) but they didn’t agree with my dog for some reason. Nature’s Variety is what ended up working for us. I feed the kibble, supplemented with the raw meat medallions. Funny thing is, I tried the same company’s cat food and it didn’t agree with her at all.

I’m not psycho about it – the dog gets table scraps and sometimes we run out of food and the local pet supply place isn’t open, so we have to get Iams or something from the grocery store. Not a big deal. But just like I shouldn’t eat pizza and burgers for every meal every day, I try to make sure what my pets usually eat has the right nutrition for them.

20. misskaz says:

Sorry to follow up with a second post, but I finally found the website I was originally looking for. It’s a comprehensive guide to finding good quality dog food.

21. “Interesting to me how Iams charges a premium yet it lists them along side of store-brand and other budget brands.”

I don’t know very much about wet foods, but in terms of dry food, one factory can produce a huge variety of dry foods — just look at all the different types of IAMS on the shelf. It’s not all the same kibble in different bags. So the same factory could produce both a low- and high-end brand with two very different formulations.

Just like people food, there are labeling laws on pet food, so you can read the label and check the differences between the different brands.

In terms of IAMS specifically, one of my cats is diabetic, and that’s actually what the doctor PRESCRIBED for my cat’s diet. He said, “You could give him Science Diet, but for his problem, IAMS will do the same thing at half the cost.” But forbade me from giving him certain other, lower-quality supermarket brands that wouldn’t provide the right balance of ingredients to control his blood sugar (in conjunction with insulin).

(NOTE: Diabetic cats respond very differently to diet and just because IAMS dry is best for managing MY cat’s diabetes doesn’t mean it will work for you and for God’s sake go see your vet about it, don’t listen to the internet.)

22. bringafajita says:

Although my cats luckily only eat dry food so I’m not really involved in this, I don’t think “lethargy” is a really good indicator of anything except that your cat is in fact a cat.

23. sherbear says:

Generally, we feed our dog ScienceDiet Sensitive Stomach (Dry) as that is what the vet gave him before we adopted him. He has a sensitive stomach. We used to put cuts and gravy on it to get him to eat better, but no longer. We recently introduced a new dry dog food with the ScienceDiet, I think it is Natural Choice. He seems to like it.

Our cat mostly eats ScienceDiet Prescription CD – he had crystals in his bladder about a year or so ago and nearly died. We do give him tuna now and then. We recently picked up a “treat”, but the brand name escapes me. It is a very small can and it is whitefish and tuna and looks like it is ground up, not flaked. We tried a Natural Choice brand and he didn’t like it at all. We gave it to a animal shelter.

24. HawkWolf says:

my cat *has* chronic renal failure, and I used to feed her eukanuba pouches. the irony. (I still feed her eukanuba multi-stage renal formula in the form of dry food).

in fact, without much warning, she suddenly started throwing up and ended up at the emergency vet with some sort of liver crisis (her kidneys were doing fine). I was feeding her the wet stuff at the time – I have since stopped.

I don’t see how jaundice is evidence of kidney failure – jaundice is caused by a buildup of albumin, which is related to your *liver*, not kidneys.

25. acambras says:

For a short while, I bought the cheap dry cat food. At some point I noticed my cat was not looking so good (more lethargic than usual). I took her to the vet, who diagnosed her with some sort of kidney problem. By the time the treatment was all done, I’d spent more than $300 — whatever $ I’d saved by buying cheap cat food, and then some. The vet said I didn’t have to go top of the line, but that I shouldn’t buy the cheap crap anymore. Now I feed her Purina Cat Chow Senior (she’s 16) dry food, plus an occasional can of tuna if I run out of cat food and can’t make it to the store that day.

26. defectiveburger says:

man, I wish my cats wouldn’t try to kill me if I didn’t feed them their wet food every night…..

Petsmart’s website offers a list of alternate cat foods for your cat–Friskies, Whiskas, and Pro Plan.

Amazing those are the only 3 that aren’t made in the same place, no?

For now though, cans of tuna until this mess is all cleared up

27. HearsMusic says:

As an animal lover, it’s hard to comprehend how massive this pet food recall is and how many pets it’s going to affect in the end.

Like Ben’s post mentioned, I usually only feed my cats dry food and keep pouches around for “treats.” My vet also recommended Nutro Max, and it was distressing to see it on the list, since we also specifically buy it due to the “higher level” of ingredients.

Hopefully this recall will continue to get the publicity it deserves; no pet owner should have to deal with not only their pet getting very sick or dying, but knowing that it was the food they gave them!

28. supedve says:

And I just saw an IAMS commercial on the View. Could have been a regular ad buy or a last minute PR move. Why didn’t Rosie go off on this recall today?

29. Terminixsux says:

Misskaz, thanks for the information. However, what you are suggesting is exactly why I chose Nutro for my cats. It is the only wet food that doesn’t includemeat by-products. Science Diet and IAMs both lits by-products. I appreciate that the same factory can manufacture multiple lines with different formulations, but I remain concerned that loopholes in the law regarding ingredients and their definitions couldlead to a company claiming to be a “premium” brand, when all that is premium is the price. I am also fortunate in that while my cats’ food was included in the list, I buy so much at once that everything on my shelves was several months older than the affected products. BTW, my cats get both wet and dry everyday. One of them will only eat the pouches of meat cuts and gravy. All they eat is Nutro because of the by-products thing.

30. LAGirl says:

when i first got my kitty (rescued off the street at 6 weeks) i was feeding her IAMS. but then a hardcore animal-rights friend of mine said that IAMS tests on animals. the irony. i didn’t believe her until i checked out this website:

turns out, a lot of pet food companies test on animals. now, with this recall, seems like a really good time to determine if (a) your pet food is safe and (b) ethical.

31. LuvJones says:

@dbeahn:

Same thing with some people shampoos and soaps. It’s just sold in different packages. A lot of off brand items are the same as higher priced items. Some are even made by the same company!

32. Wrenae says:

I work at Petco, and we were also instructed to take returns of these brands of canned food, with or without a receipt, regardless of where you bought it. You’ll only get an exchange or store credit, but at least you don’t have to just throw it out.

33. misskaz says:

@Terminixsux:
    I totally understand your frustration. I almost bought some of those Nutro wet dog food packs as a treat one week ago.

Some brands you might want to look at for your kitty:
    Nature’s Variety Prairie
    Felidae
    Solid Gold

Looking at the ingredients lists, I don’t see any by-products listed. As a note, you may not be able to find these brands in Petsmart or Petco. I have to go to my local fancy-schmancy (technical term) pet supply store to find them.

Good luck to you, and to anyone that is re-evaluating their pet food choices. I’ve struggled for years with such decisions myself.

34. SOhp101 says:

hahaha you guys are funny… Iams/Eukanuba as a premium brand??? Why don’t you use the internets to search for good cat/dog food made by pet enthusiasts and I bet you 99 times out of 100 they WON’T recommend any of the main cat/dog food supppliers.

Those companies literally take cr*p, mash it together and then tell you that it’s good for your pet. Do that last member of your family a favor and get him some good stuff.

35. Terminixsux says:

SOhp101, you don’t need to be a jerk to get us to pay attention. Many pet owners listen to their vets, that’s what I did and that’s why I believed Nutro was a good pet food. I am fortunate in that my cats are OK, but I have heard from many others whose pets are sick or dead now from this. Think that’s funny?

36. matto says:

I tried in vain to find useful recall info on the Iams website last night when this story broke.

Unlike Science Diet, who provided a direct link to the recall info on the Menu Foods web page, the Iams link was to their front page, on a server where every page was a dynamic generated jsp.

The thousands of people forced to search for recall info were bringing their website to its knees, and pageloads easily took 30 seconds.

I decided then that the safest thing to do would be to never buy Iams petfood again. Screw them.

37. kellkell says:

@SOhp101:
    Eukanuba used to be a much better food (never thought much of Iams since one of their listed ingredients is a carcinogen) before Procter & Gamble bought them both out. P&G bought them and suddenly this premium food was available at Costco and sites started springing up about how dogs started getting sick, lethargic and their coats looked terrible.
    My dog eats Honest Kitchen and Artemis, neither is available at a PetCo or PetSmart. If you can get your food at a grocery store, it’s not high quality, if you can get it at a Discount store like Costco, PetSmart etc, it might be medium quality, if you really want to get something that you can feel good about giving your pet you’re going to need to find a shop that sells higher end foods.

Asking your Vet sounds like a good idea but the truth is that most Vets no little about nutrition. What they do know is usually what Hills (Science Diet) or another company with a Sales Rep tells them. If your Vet is selling you pet food, remember they are making a profit. This is not to say that the Vet is dishonest, just think about it. Most prescription diets, don’t need to be prescription diets, you can usually get the same ingredients in a Premium food, but prescription does make it sound like something you need to get doesn’t it?
    For those of you who want to know what might be a good food for you pet here is a list, most have a way to find a dealer near you.

Active Care http://breeders-choice.com/
    Natural Balance http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/
    Nature’s Variety http://naturesvariety.com/
    Pinnacle http://breeders-choice.com/
    Solid Gold http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/
    Wellness http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/

38. isadora says:

Considering PETA is an insane animal “liberation” organization (that hypocritically euthanizes animals) I’m not so inclined to take their anti-IAMS website that seriously!

Of course, being deeply skeptical about most things makes me too cynical to believe almost anything I read! Sad but true.

That said, two of my three kitties have very touchy tummies! One in particular has what must be the feline equivalent of irritable bowel syndrome! IAMS is the only brand they all seem to like (very much, as any change is met with disdain by the group), doesn’t cause any unpleasant side effects (such as diarrhea), and offers the amazing combo of “indoor multiple cats” and “hairball control” in one bag!

I don’t feed them wet food (though they love it) because it makes them sick almost every time. Same with Tuna. They vomit it up. I just keep plenty of water out and give the occassional moist treat (and one doesn’t like treats of any kind).

The moral of this story? Do what works for you and your pet(s) and don’t let the Vegans drive you crazy with guilt because Muffy or Skip likes to chow the “faux” premium!

39. kellkell says:

@isadora:
    Not a Vegan and not telling you to listen to PETA, you should just know that Iams uses ethoxyquin (they are not the only one), which is a carcinogen. There are sites, including Iams site that point out that ethoxyquin is allowed for use in pet foods, but road kill (from rendering plants) is allowed for use in pet foods so I don’t know that citing what is allowed is a good argument. Ethoxyquin is an affordable preservative and so it is used in many pet foods, the premium brands and super premium brands do not use ethoxyquin.
    If it’s working for your cats then certainly it is better than Ol Roy and better than letting them starve but if you take a few moments and visit the sites I listed above you could find a product that is much better for your cats. The food won’t necessarily cost more than Iams, but it will be better for your pets. Most of the shops that carry the premium brands will provide you with tons of free samples so you can see what you cats like and what they don’t. The sample bags are pretty sizeable and with a small pet could provide a couple meals in some cases. I just figure it’s worth a little time and effort to find something that isn’t using ethoxyquin.

40. Falconfire says:

Giving any carnivorous animal a “vegetarian” diet like the PETA site is suggesting is fucking insane, and will likely kill your pet…. can PETA stoop any lower that to change the nature of animals?

41. defectiveburger says:

As Misskaz was saying,

Nature’s Variety Prairie
    Felidae
    Solid Gold

are great food for your pet. Solid Gold is great food–it is mostly real protein, not too much wheat and icky stuff that dogs/cats can’t digest.

For those of you in CA–bay area/sacramento area especially, go to Pet Club for your pet food! That store has the cheapest prices by a long shot and offers many of these special brands really cheap.

42. Luxy says:

I have been meaning to read “Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts About Pet Food.” It’s like “The Jungle” for pets. I have learned from reading about it that pet food can contain the carcasses of euthanized pets, animal feces, feathers and hair.

43. raindog says:

OK, kitty health experts, now tell me a safe “premium” wet food to buy that doesn’t require me to go to some boutique pet store that has dust on all its goods due to low traffic and closes before I get home from work each night anyway.

We’ve established through this exercise that anything I can buy from a national chain store of any kind is no good, either because it will destroy their kidneys or because it has the PETA scare chemical of the month (never mind that a vegetarian diet will kill a cat a lot quicker than theoretically cancer-causing preservatives.) So name a safe cat food that’s not sold out of glorified basements and maybe I’ll give it a try.

I put my cats on IAMS thinking it might be better for them than the Friskies Buffet on which they were getting obese. And they have lost weight over the intervening months, but now supposedly I’m poisoning them.

So screw it, they’re getting Fancy Feast or whatever it is they like best from now on, with the Meow Mix tins of fish slurry disguised as “beef”, “chicken” and “turkey” as a special treat now and then because they go nuts for it. My cats are genetically superior anyway (meaning “not purebred”), so I think they’ll be able to deal with it.

After all, my first cat lived to be 16 and she never ate anything but Tender Vittles. And then it was FL that got her anyway.

44. Suzanne1978 says:

My cat is 4 and does have Kidney Failure because of some of the recalled food
    Hopefully he will live
    I am hoping that there is a class action lawsuit.
    The vet said to give him Senior Moist Food
    Any specific suggestions from anyone that has a cat with Kidney Failure?
    Thanks Suzanne

45. dufus says:

My 7 year old beagle died at the end of January. He had been to the vet only 90 days before, had a complete checkup (Blood test, shots, poop test, everything…) and was given a clean bill of health.

Early one morning, he left the bedroom, went to the kitchen, drank all the water that was left in a bowl that was filled just before I went to bed, came back upstairs, jumped up on the bed, and died. Just like that.

He was fed some of the recalled food mixed with dry kibble twice a day.

Since then, the pet food company has done a test. 40 or so healthy dogs were fed their food. So far, 7 have died. (Nearly 18%!)

I had no clue about what caused Jax’s death when it happend, but I’m convinced now that my dogs death was caused by that food.

46. jerkasaurus says:

@Suzanne1978:

There are foods specifically for renal failure (though from what I’ve read, not all vets agree that cats with renal failure need to be fed a low protein/low phosphorus diet). My cat seems to like the Royal Canin Cat Renal formula best, but my vet also gave me samples of a Purina version (smelled REPULSIVE and my cat seemed to hate eating it as much as I hated smelling it) and a Hill’s Prescription Diet version (not as hated). Apparently Eukanuba has renal food too, but I doubt you’d want that at this point. I bought a case of the Royal Canin stuff from my vet, but this site sells a few different renal foods for both cats and dogs:

Good luck with your cat. Mine seems to be doing very well, but we’re not out of the woods yet.

47. somybe says:

A local newspaper , Albany(NY) Times Union is reporting that the NY State Dept of Ag and Markets , pet food div. is saying that rat poison was found to be a culprit is tthe food they tested. The Dept is going to hold a news conference this afternoon in Albany. My heart just aches for the people who lost thier beloved pets. I consider myself a rugged guy but I have a big soft spot for all animals. I feel God made the Human and realized He/She fouled up and made animals to try to correct the misteak.

48. olde_foegey says:

When you call Menu’s hotline, all you can get is a busy signal so how can I find out how to let them know that my Sheltie died from kidney failure after eating wet dog food which was supposed to be a special treat for him?

49. conassiemcq58 says:

hello everyone, i too have a poisoned cat.from feeding walmarts special kitty pouches.i have had good luck getting through to menu foods.they took all my info about my cat and told me they will pay all my vet bills and to do what i need to do to help my cat.i received a follow up call that was automated and it told me a rep from the company would contact me within 72 hrs for my pet food serial numbers.DON,T!,through out food you have thats on their list! you need proof that you,ve fed it to your pets if they get sick.research how you can help your pets,at the American veterinary ass. web site at http://www.avma.org.they are giving you through info on the pioson(aminopterin)thats in the food.quick action is needed at your pets first signs of renel problems(vomiting,over thirst,over urinating,lethargy,loss or little appetite)the best thing you can do for your pets is to educate yourself good luck to all your pets!

50. Jamez1957 says:

Dear People:
    After reading about the contaminated pet food and
    the tragic stories told by pet owners I did some
    research and I would like to tell you what I found.
    Everyone at one time or another has been bitten
    by a dog or cat. Last week, my sister`s little dog gave
    me a nip and I jumped(she laughed). It’s
    no big deal where we live. But, if you live in China,
    get bitten by a dog, you could become one of the 200
    people that die every month from rabies.
    It seems the Chinese have been breeding dogs and cats for a
    long time for their skins. I guess they make fur hats
    or something that they sell and export and the dog
    population is out of control like a 150 million dogs.
    And so rabies has proliferated to the point where 80%
    of all world human rabies cases occurs in China.
    Last summer the authorities started a campaign to
    kill all dogs, usually by clubbing them to death even
    in front of their owners.
    Now maybe someone got a little tired of swinging clubs
    and opted for a more efficient approach to the culling
    of the dogs. Maybe poison bait.
    The pet food poison.
    I hear a lot about melamine, but after reading the MSDS
    sheet on melamine it looks like it is not anything more
    than an irritant and carcinogen. It certainly does not
    block an enzyme necessary for protein synthesis upon
    which kidney function depends but Aminopterin(the rat
    poison) sure does.(It used to be used as a chemo
    drug but was discontinued because it was too toxic.)
    The 2008 Summer Olympics will be held in Bejing China.
    If people find out about the rabies epidemic they
    might think twice about attending, investors might think
    twice about investing in a would-be profittable venue.
    I`m not aware of how Menu Foods got the poisoned wheat
    gluten – maybe it was thought to be a very economic
    purchase or the supplier was having a going-out-of-business
    sale or you got our gluten we got yours by mistake.
    My heart goes out to the owners of the pets that
    are sick and dying. The only thing sicker is that
    when the slime and destruction is finally scraped away,
    there`s the dollar.
    Jamez1957

51. WEGGLES90 says:

This makes me very sadface…