Faces Of The RIAA

We’ve received a lot of requests to “expose” the RIAA for who they really are… record companies and record company executives. Our readers feel that the companies involved are hiding behind the name “RIAA,” and would like to be formally introduced to the association’s members.

At your request, we’ve put together a list of contact information and addresses for the largest of the companies, as well as pictures and some biographical information about their chief executives. This is all public information. Get to know your RIAA:

Warner Music Group:

Edgar Bronfman, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer

Edgar Bronfman, Jr. has served as Warner Music Group’s Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer since March 1, 2004.

Write to:
75 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY 10019

Call:
+1-212-275-2000

Sony BMG Music Group

RIAAAndyLack.jpg
Andy Lack, Chairman of the Board

Before going to NBC, Mr. Lack spent much of his television career at CBS News, where he created and served as the executive producer of the groundbreaking newsmagazine West 57th (1985-89).

Write to:
550 Madison Ave.
New York, NEW YORK 10022-3211

Call:
+1-212-833-8000 (Phone)
212-833-4818 (Fax)

EMI Group:
RIAAEMIericlnico.jpg
Eric Nicoli Chief executive officer, EMI Group

As part of this role he has direct responsibility for the management of EMI Music, the Group’s recorded music business including overseeing directly the operations of EMI Music North America.

Write to:
27 Wrights Lane
London, ENG W8 5SW

Call:
+44-20-77957000

Universal Music Group:
RIAADougMorris.jpg
Douglas (Doug) Morris, Chairman and CEO

A graduate of Columbia University, Mr. Morris began his music career as a songwriter for music publisher Robert Mellin, Inc.

Write to:
1755 Broadway
New York, NEW YORK 10019
USA – Map

Call:
+1-212-841-8000 (Phone)
212-331-2580 (Fax)

We ask that if you call you not yell at the person who answers the phone. Behave yourselves.

Comments

1. mantari says:

Why do they all look like mob bosses? :)

2. thisiskspraydad says:

Should Edgar be there? Afterall he wants the punishment for piracy to remain a parental prerogative.

From a interview with Adam Reuters (??!!)

EB:We don’t want to go after people who are casually downloading a few songs, but people who are massively uploading tracks. Having said that, it’s not the centerpiece of our strategy.

AR: Taking a question from the audience, McLuhan Ennis asks: “Can you give a description of the what you describe as middle ground? Say, within the context of a mash-up, what would be an example of fair use?”

EB: It’s our hope we can find a way to generally license much or all of our content for users to adapt in any way they see fit. We want people to use their creativity to take our content and do what they think is an interesting thing.

AR: So, you have seven children, have you ever caught any of them using Gnutella or Limewire or the P2P network?

EB: I have. I explained to them what I believe is right, that the principle involved is that stealing music is stealing music. Frankly, right is right and wrong is wrong, particularly when a parent is talking to a child, a bright line around moral responsibility is very important. I can assure you they no longer do that.

AR: What were the consequences?

EB: I think I’ll keep that within the family. (Laughter)

3. TechnoDestructo says:

Hit list.

4. TimSPC says:

Edgar Bronfman looks like the bastard child of Ralph Finnes and Seth Green.

5. mopar_man says:

They all have the greedy corporate look but especially Edgar with his Mr. Burns fingers. Eric looks like the dad from “Everybody Loves Raymond.”

6. acambras says:

I think Edgar Bronfman looks like Hugh Laurie in that photo. Except that I like Hugh Laurie.

7. faust1200 says:

Hugh Laurie? From the hairline-up maybe.

8. Gari N. Corp says:

Edgar Bronfman squandered a perfectly good liquor fortune (I mean, how many complaints do you get about booze makers, Mister Consumerist?) because he decided he had to a media mogul. Then, having destroyed billions in Seagram shareholder value (yesyesyes, I know, pity the shareholders) in a merger with Universal. He then did the same – in reverse – with Warners. Textbook lesson in how to turn daddy’s money into a reaming for music-lovers

9. jitrobug says:

Go after the smaller labels.

Plus don’t just boycott “sony-bmg” – boycott all of sony. Don’t buy anything from a company that supports such customer hostile behavior.

or, more accurately, such internet hostile behavior – anyone with an account from an ISP could find themselves getting sued because of the RIAA’s sloppy methods.

10. lpranal says:

Balding, overweight, middle-aged white men. What a surprise.

11. ikes says:

gari is right. EB jr ruined Seagrams, to the chagrine of his uncle Sam. Nothing like taking a perpetually successful business and trashing it in your quest for stardom and fame. Bronfman wasn’t happy enough ghost writing shitty love songs for celine dion (see “Junior Miles”), he went and sold off the money-making liquor business to buy up Universal and other media outlets in a misguided quest for “content”.

At least I got 6 months of severance outta all that.

12. Skeptic says:

Balding, overweight, middle-aged white men. What a surprise.

Perhaps not surprising. But, Edgar Bronfman seems to be rather attractive, at least on the outside.

Keep in mind that evil people can be attractive and charming. Evil doesn’t typecast.

13. thisiskspraydad says:

And how much, pray tell, did the Bronfman clan earn a ways back during prohibition…hmm, family riches from breaking the law…do tell.

14. Trai_Dep says:

Bronfman has the luxury of saying, “Gosh, it’s not *me* that wants to extort college kids” in interviews, knowing full well that his RIAA minions will use their long knives while providing plausible deniability. Don’t believe the hype.

15. hoyleysox says:

The bronfman # is good. I called him and left a message with the receptionist.

16. hoyleysox says:

What is a good, free internet fax program?

17. bnb614 says:

Eric Nicoli was awesome in “Everybody Loves Raymond.”

18. Havok154 says:

All I can say is “scumbags”.

19. alakawaka says:

From wikipedia on cyberbullying…and seriously…there is NO WAY losers like you can afford a lawyer.

It can constitute a computer crime. For example, in the United States it is a federal crime to anonymously “annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person” via the internet or telecommunication system, punishable by a fine and/or up to two years imprisonment.

20. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

“Can’t sleep, RIAA goons will eat me.”

21. Mr. Gunn says:

alakawaka: You mean like the RIAA does to college students?

22. Ikki says:

You mean like the RIAA does to college students?

I smell a class action lawsuit.

23. ZonzoMaster says:

@TechnoDestructo: I would like to see people yelling shit at them on the streets (if they ever get out of their evil lairs).

24. Gandalf5619 says:

This morning I took the liberty to call Mr. Bronfman’s office. His AA answered. I cheerfully greated her and inquired about the weather. She responded and said it was raining. I informed her that it was bright, sunny and cool here in Tennessee. I then tol her to pass on to Mr. Bronfman that I’d just downloaded Radiohead’s NEW album, In Rainbows, and paid $15.95 directly to Radiohead. While I played it in the background, I asked, “Do you hear that?” His secretary coldly responed, “Yes.” I then informed her that was the sound of RIAA’s demise. Don’t you love it?!!! GREAT ALBUM!!!! YOU should dowload it!!!

25. Trackback says:

First of all I wanna thank my connect The most important person with all due respect Thanks to the duffle bag, the brown paper bag The nike shoe box for holding all this cashBoys in blue who put greed before the badge The first pusher who ever made the stash rss boys in the building tonight Oh what…