Comcast Sends You A $0.63 Check For No Reason

Curtis doesn’t know why Comcast sent him a check for $0.63. He canceled Comcast and went with Verizon FIOS a year ago. Curtis writes:

I’m not sure what to say about this check I got from Comcast, except that I almost framed it. But then I decided how much I hate Comcast, like many decent people do, and decided if I can take money from them, any amount, then I’d do it… then I’ll print a copy and frame it.

I don’t know why I received it. I switched from Comcast’s ISP to Verizon FIOS a while ago (i.e. about a year). Was I supposed to view it as generous? probably not. Laughable? absolutely.

The answer is simple, Curtis. Comcast felt deep in their hearts that they owed you “No Dolllars And 63 Cents.” At least this proves that they can technically issue a check instead of offering a credit off your next bill. Food for thought.—MEGHANN MARCO

(Photo: Curtis)

Comments

1. lore says:

A few years ago we cancelled SBC phone service. Several months later, we received a check for all of $.01. That’s right. ONE CENT.

I have no idea what it was for, but I assume we must have overpaid an earlier bill by one cent. I still have the check somewhere

2. acambras says:

Maybe it was a refund mandated by the Public Service Commission (or whatever it’s called) in Curtis’ state. I’ve seen this stuff on phone bills, utility bills, etc. If he wasn’t with Comcast anymore, there’s no bill — hence the check?

3. rbf2000 says:

Yea, but it also proves that if you want a refund check instead of the credit, you’re going to have to wait a year for it.

4. rewinditback says:

i got a bill for zero dollars and zero cents for like 5 months from them. i wrote a check for that amount and the bills stopped.

5. MeOhMy says:

All I can think of is the following:

Kurtzmann: Look at this. Look at it!

Sam: What is it?

Kurtzmann: It’s a refund check. It’s for Tuttle…er…I mean Buttle. It’s been confusion since the word go. He’s been overcharged for information retrieval services.

Sam: Let me see that, I’ve never seen a refund check before.

Kurtzmann: We’ve got to get rid of it!

Sam: Well why not send it to Buttle. After all, it’s his check.

Kurtzmann: I’ve tried that, (reaches for file folder) but see:
    The Population Census has him down as “daunted”
    The Central Collective Storehouse has got him down as “deleted”

Sam: Hang on. (goes to computer to run a search)

Kurtzmann: Information Retrieval has got him down as “inoperative”
    Security has got him down as “excised”

Sam: (looking up from computer) He’s dead.

Kurtzmann: Dead? Oh that’s… awful. (picks up the check) Now we’ll never get rid of the damn thing!

6. kerry says:

A year or two ago I got a check for $43 from a pager service company I used from about 2001-2004. I didn’t want to cash the check, not knowing what it was for, so I called the company (actually, they company who bought the company who bought the company that I had originally received service from) and they said that during the last buyout they did some accounting and found that they owed me money. Perhaps Comcast did some restructuring and found that they owed Curtis some money, too.

7. Mike_ says:

I once got a final bill from the phone company for $0.76. I thought it was silly, so I called and asked if they were serious. They were. They wanted a check, so I went ahead and mailed them one. For $0.79. A few weeks later, I called and asked them to refund my $0.03 overpayment. They did. I still have the check.

8. It cost them more to print and deliver the check than the actual value of the check itself.

9. louiedog says:

When I canceled Comcast at the beginning of the year and returned the equipment I was handed a receipt showing I still owed ~$4.50. I was paid up, and the woman who took my box and modem didn’t ask for money, so I just left, assuming they’d correct the mistake. A month later I received a check for the same amount. Apparently they’d deducted it using the autopay I’d setup and immediately refunded it back to me. Not a big deal, but still annoying that I had to go and deposit it.

10. louiedog says:

Oh, and once my grandmother kept getting bills from a company for 23 cents. This was back when stamps were ~27 cents. She ignored it, figuring they wouldn’t seriously pursue such a small amount. They did. She finally sent in payment after a few letters when they started calling her. I wonder how much it cost them to get that 23 cents.

11. rachmanut says:

I got a refund check from my gas company in MA two years after I moved to CA. Aside from not understanding why they gave me a refund (I never overpaid, as far as I knew), I was confused how they even got my forwarding address, since I never gave it to them.

12. kerry says:

Come to think of it, I had never given the company that sent me a 2-years-delayed refund my new address either, and the forward on the old one through the USPS had long since expired. Fascinating.

13. homerjay says:

Its probably a settlement from some class action suit. As I understand it Comcast gets sued a lot on your behalf…

14. j.a.s.o.n says:

@something_amazing: Even though it costs them more to process and mail the check, if they fail an audit because they don’t reconcile their books by sending these checks it will cost them significantly more than the face value of the check.

15. asherchang says:

@Troy F.: eh?

16. MeOhMy says:

@asherchang: It’s from the Terry Gilliam movie Brasil. It’s got some very memorable scenes. Mr. Tuttle owed some tax money. A typo sent Information Retrieval to Mr. Buttle’s house instead, where he was daunted/deleted/rendered inoperable/killed by the interrogators who then left his wife with a bill for their “services.”

That particular scene, at one time funny, seems scarier and scarier as it starts to seem more and more plausible as beauracracy and customer service become ever more impersonal and thoughtless.

17. wesrubix says:

I’m glad everyone is enjoying this story. The check cleared fine. (I’m Curtis.) You all have some great ideas I did think about when I deposited the check.

It’s likely there was a balance left over from when I switched my mom’s cable from Comcast to FiosTV, thus ending the existing of any Comcast accounts at that residence, ergo, a check and not a credit.

Massachusetts also has some stringent consumer laws which lovingly favor the consumer, so a hushed class action settlement from Comcast wouldn’t surprise me either. Hell, I still have my Microsoft Class Action Settlement letter hanging on my office wall. Woo for the Commonwealth.

And Jason is right on the money. I used to do audit consulting (what a thrill that was). And no matter what the amount was, 5 cents or 5 grand, you had to account for it, otherwise you’d get a big red X on my report… hoo for SOX (the tax kind).

Lastly, this reminds me of back in the day when I paid off my student loans. I called up ShittyBank, not a division of ShittyWok, (Citi–they’re not that shitty, but it’s fun to say it that way), and asked what my balance was. I asked her since there is a time delta (nerd) between when I mail the check and when the check is processed, how the balance is resolved. The account rep (who was sweet as can be–really!) laughed and said if it’s within $5 we just call it paid off. I thanked her for the tip, and wrote a check for student-loan-balance minus $4.50. Citi: thank you for paying off your loan! Good times…

–Curtis