Urban Legend: T-Mobile Has To Give Your Cell Number To Telemarketers

There’s a chain email going around with some T-Mobile contact information attached to it claiming that if you do not register your cell phone with the “Do Not Call” list in 12 days, T-Mobile will be forced to release your number to telemarketers.

It’s not true, and it’s a variation on a chain email that has been circulating for years. Don’t fall for it!

Here’s the text of the email as we received it:

If you have not registered your number on the National Do Not Call List, you need to do this within 12 days or telemarketers will have access to your cell phone number. This is the case with all carriers in response to a new federal allowance. Please see the note below. To register a number, you must call from that number. I suggest you send this to all of your users.

NOTE:
“REMINDER….12 days from today, all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sale calls.
…..YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone:

888-382-1222.

It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time.

It blocks your number for five (5) years.

You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked.

You cannot call from a different phone number.”

In any case, you can add your cell phone to the “Do Not Call” registry if you like, but T-Mobile certainly isn’t going to sell or release your number. —MEGHANN MARCO

(Photo: NYCViaRachel)

Comments

1. Amy Alkon says:

Why don’t people read Snopes before they send these chain e-mails around?

2. mac-phisto says:

@Amy Alkon: we should start that forward. we’ll need something catchy to make people pass it on though, like “send to 10 friends in 5 minutes or 20 kittens will die”.

3. Bob says:

@Amy Alkon: Because people are idiots.

4. reginae says:

I always thought it would be funny to start circulating a forward with some [fake] quote by Bill Gates, and then watch him have to announce a press conference to debunk it.

5. Mr. Gunn says:

For years, I have been replying to chain emails from family and friends with links to the snopes page. I’m happy to report that some of them have finally grown a brain and stopped sending the crap.

One tactic I use on the egregious offenders is to “accidentally” reply to all, instead of just the sender. The resulting confusion and embarrassment can reach the sender more effectively than a private reply. You’d think they’d learn what the CC and BCC fields are for after a couple times of me doing this, but we’re still working on that one.

6. infinitysnake says:

@mac-phisto: That’s actually a pretty good idea.

Of course, they probably wouldn’t forward it. When I send people to snopes, it doesn’t stop them forwarding this stuff, they just take me off the forward list. They want to believe.

7. jgodsey says:

people always forget to put their FAX machines on the DO NOT CALL registry. I sign up my friends and their faxes.

8. I dont know if this has happened to anybody else but I put my new cell phone number on the do not call registry and in the last couple weeks I have been receiving telemarketing calls.

I did not receive these calls before I signed up. I used my brand new grand central phone number on the do not call registry along with my cell phone number and I have received the same telemarketing calls on both numbers.

Has anyone else experienced this??

9. Baciaa says:

You can contact T-Mobile 24/7 there is no specific time frame to when you need to add your number to the Do Not Call List. Trust me. I work for T-Mobile. Be weary of people who are frustrated with their bills, handsets, whatever, as they will look for new ways to patronize T-Mobile.