If You're Supervising A Class Of 4th Graders and Need Shelter From A Tornado, Don't Bother The Embassy Suites Hotel

When tornadoes strike, just leave the Embassy Suites hotel out of it. There is no room at the inn for shelter seeking 4th graders. From NBC 15:

A group of Spanish Fort Elementary students were on a field trip in Montgomery the day the tornadoes hit.

The 4th graders and their teachers, reportedly, went to the Embassy Suites Hotel to escape. Instead of being rescued, an employee, allegedly, told them the hotel was full and turned them away. “It’s still unacceptable to be turned away in a moment that harm is potentially present,” says Baldwin County School Spokesperson Terry Wilhite.

A representative for Embassy Suites says he was not there when the incident occurred. He, also, admits the group should not have been left out in the cold. “Right now, I’m in the midst of researching which manager or employee denied access to out hotel and, believe me, they will be disciplined accordingly,” says Embassy Suites Interim General Manager Tom Peterson.

The kids ended up at a community center and are fine. —MEGHANN MARCO

Spanish Fort kids turned away from Montgomery hotel as tornadoes threaten [NBC15] (Thanks, nameunknown…)

Comments

1. B says:

Too bad the manager didn’t read his Quiznoes handbook, or he would have known that natural disasters are good PR opportunities.

2. formergr says:

Wow that’s cold– it’s not like they were asking for beds, just a place to sit for an hour until the storm passes…

3. royal72 says:

who wants to bet we’ll be seeing commercials within a month about how sweet, caring, and charitable embassy suites is in the community.

4. bluegus32 says:

Whoever the ass-hat was that did this deserves the death penalty. Either s/he is pure evil or insanely stupid. Either way, the human race no longer needs his/her presence on our planet.

5. Youthier says:

This is what I don’t get – even as a 16 year old part-time employee, I would have known that turning away kids on a field trip in a tornado = PR disaster for the company that will cost me my job.

And that doesn’t even bring the little issue of humanity into the equation.

6. kevjohn says:

Just goes to show ya, always get a reservation.

7. brooklynbs says:

Imagining the conversation…

Teacher: “Hi. We’re on a field trip from Mobile and we’ve got forty nine-year olds sitting on a bus during a tornado alert. Would you mind if we sheltered here while the storm passes. They’re good kids and they will make no trouble. We’re just away from home and have nowhere else to go. Any help would be appreciated.”

Hotel worker: “Sorry, but we’re full. As you know, hotels don’t have a lot of common areas where people can just hang out for an hour or so while a life-threatening situation passes. There’s a Ramada Inn down the street. If you’d like me to, I can call over to see if they have any rooms. In the meantime, please wait outside.”

8. Trick says:

What would even make such a person do this? Either this was very, very stupid person or as I suspect, some loser abusing what little power he/she has at the hotel.

Either way, this persons life must really suck considering he/she has to take it out on a bunch of kids.

“Will someone please think of the children?”
    Helen Lovejoy, 05/1996

9. Trai_Dep says:

$$$ to doughnuts it was a Doubletree employee masquerading in an Embassy Suites uniform.

Would kill for a video of it. The swarmy employee, the panic-stricken teacher, the terrified 4th graders.

WOW. It would have spread faster than the Sleeping Comcast Couch Guy.

10. “…they will be disciplined accordingly,” says Embassy Suites Interim General Manager Tom Peterson.

Ooooh, a spanking, a spanking!!

11. automatic_blue says:

More than likely, it was a basic front-line employee with very little training who was afraid to let a bus full of non-hotel-guests get in the lobby.

He/she isn’t paid/trained/allowed to think outside the box or consider issues such as “good press”, and I doubt he was acting like a dick just to do it.

12. bluegus32 says:

automatic_blue: you said, “Just somebody who thought “if I let something unusual happen, I’ll lose my job”.”

Anyone, and I mean anyone, who is more concerned about losing their job than protecting the lives of children is either too evil to live or too stupid to walk amongst the rest of us. There is zero excuse for this behavior.

13. landonkeywest says:

This is very sad. They should have given them shelter.

I’m sure that if something did happen though, and one of the kids were injured. The parents wouldn’t hesitate to sue the hotel.

It’s a crappy world that way.

14. Bay State Darren says:

automatic_blue,
    Even if it was a bottom-rung idiot, (I picture the squeeky-voiced teen from The Simpsons) I’m pretty sure this is a situation was one in which he/she might want to have gotten a manager. I have to imagine one was consulted, and he made the asshat decision:
    children-money=tornado food