Above And Beyond: Pur Customer Service

Pur surprised reader StructuralPoke by sending him a free new aerator for his faucet-mounted purifier. He expected some charge to replace the broken part, which he couldn’t find listed on Pur’s website. After filling out a form on Pur’s website, he received the following response:

I am sorry to hear of the problem you had with our product. The quality of our products – their content, performance and packaging – is very important to us. We have many quality control checkpoints along the manufacturing line because we want each of our brands to be in perfect condition when purchased by our consumers. I’m sharing your comments with the rest of our team.

Since the amount of help I can offer via email is limited, I’m following up with you by postal mail. Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery of your replacement part (aerator).

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Silvana,
PUR Team

The first part is classic form-letter yuckiness, but the second part seemed vague, though promising. StructuralPoke didn’t expect to receive a free aerator, but that’s what he got.

The full email, after the jump…

I own a faucet mounted fixture — FM 3333 from the back of the unit. I noticed a leak at the bottom of the spigot when the filter was disengaged, so I tried to tighten the botom-most piece. I either over-tightened it or did something else wrong because I stripped the threads off of what appears to be the aerator. What do I need to do to get a replacement part?

StructuralPoke

I didn’t expect a response really, but hey, thought I’d give it a try. I figured ~$2 for a new aerator was much better than ~$20 for a new setup. (Yes, we’re cheap. We don’t need our water filtered THAT much…) I received the following response on the 29th:

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Silvana,
    PUR Team

I was shocked I got a real response — especially that the aerator assembly would be arriving free. The new parts arrived yesterday. That’s a really quick turnaround for a company in my opinion! Everything fit up correctly and we now have a properly functioning filter system.

What you say at The Consumerist is true. All you have to do is ask….

— CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

Comments

1. mikeatnight says:

I had a similar experience with Brita. The plastic attachment became wore out and would not stay on. This was due to a lot of use and it had just worn out. I contacted Brita and explained to them and asked about purchasing a new part. They told me they would ship a new one right out. Two later we received not just the part but a whole new water filter with 2 new filters. Also they included a postage paid envelop so that we could send the old part back so that they could research why it failed. I have since purchased 2 more Brita units to give as gifts.

2. rewinditback says:

I had a problem with a filter i bought once; they forgot to include a ” remove this piece ” sticker… i called customer service and they were extremely polite – no wait time – ALL HELP. Props to them.

3. I was really just shocked because they sent me a replacement part for the one I admitedly ruined!

4. Franklin Comes Alive! says:

I had a similar thing happen with a under-the-sink instant water heater made by a company called an EverHot by Water, Inc. We moved into a house that had one of these installed, and noticed pretty quickly that a little gasket-y thing at the top leaked a bit and got the cabinet wet. I called them to see if I could buy a replacement. The woman who answered the phone said they’d ship us a new one for free. And since there were two similar parts on the unit (of different sizes), she’d send both just in case I was confused about which one I was supposed to be ordering. I was amazed.

Seems as if these water-product companies have their customer service in order.

5. dohtem says:

Always nice to hear these types of customer service stories. Kudos to them!

6. scoobydoo says:

It’s in their best interest to help you; a happy customer is one that will keep buying their filters. They run the risk that if they don’t help you, you’ll either stop using it, or you’ll switch to a different brand. It’s still nice to see good customer service, but like I said; it makes sense for them to help their customers.

7. aphisiglovessae says:

I had a PUR water filter that started leaking around the seal after about 4 years of use. I contacted their customer service to ask where I can get the filter serviced or fixed or buy a replacment. They sent me a whole new filter even though the old one was four years old!! I have never switched since and I continue to praise PUR.

8. aphisiglovessae says:

I had a PUR water filter that started to leak around the seal after four years of use. I contacted their customer service via email to ask where I can find replacement parts or send it to have it fixed. To my surprise, they asked me for my address and I had a whole new filter and a replacement part for the old one on my front doorstep within days! I could not believe that they had replaced a four year old filter AND sent a part to repair the old one too. I have been a faithful user ever since and highly recommended them to all my friends.

9. scoobydoo is right — I’m sure they make more off the sales of filters than off of the sale of the unit. Still — it’s nice to be taken care of.

10. iheartconsumerist says:

Several years ago I bought a brita water purifier for camping…a year or two later they stopped making replacement filters for that unit. One quick call and they apologized for the inconvenience and sent me a newer model purifier and filter for free. Still sticks out in my mind as one of my best constomer services experiences.

11. FLConsumer says:

I also had good service with Pur — a whole new filter unit shipped to me at no charge after mine started leaking a little bit. My new home has built-in filters, otherwise I would have bought another Pur filter. Their excellent service DOES make a difference to consumers, and I’d have no problem buying another Pur product if needed.