SUV Smashes Through Mall

The submitter of this security tape of an SUV driving through a mall told us, “You might appreciate a video showing one consumerism icon crashing into another.”

And you know what? They were right. — BEN POPKEN

[via Wisebread] (Thanks to Fab Geek!)

Comments

1. homerjay says:

Don’t you think that if this was real we would have heard about it on the news by now?

It seemed a little too well done. Maybe I’m wrong…

2. Hawkins says:

Wow! Beautiful! Needs a sound track, though. Something perky.

3. pockyraider says:

It’s real. I live in Augusta, GA, where it happened. It was on cnn.com, and also check out the local website, wrdw.com I’m sure it’s somewhere on there.

Kinda embarassing how we only get on the news for James Brown, the Masters golf tournament and now this….

4. mfergel says:

lol….He was a big boy. Looked like that cop was beating him with a nightstick after I think he got pepper sprayed in the face.

5. @pockyraider: I know know pocky, sounds like some great press for your city.

6. John Stracke says:

Oddities:

* There’s nobody in the mall, but the lights and escalators are on.

* The security footage in the mall is in color; aren’t most security cameras black and white?

* The car at the arrest doesn’t seem to have taken the kind of damage that the SUV leaving the mall should have. It’s got a dent on the door, but it should have a large dent on the left side of the roof, where that pillar hit it.

7. Smashville says:

A little late on this one, Consumerist…it was all over CNN last week…

8. Smashville says:
  9. Asvetic says:

That was hilarious.

* Why do people feel compelled to scrutinize every detail of an online video and then automatically insinuate that it’s fake based on their “findings”. Some nerds need to get a life.

10. ElizabethD says:

Wow. Pretty tough vehicle there; anyone know exactly what it was? Who knew those door frames were so easily compromised?

The big ol’ driver looks pretty sad-sack at the very end. As well he should. For those in the area, did follow-up news coverage indicate why he did it? (other than being either drunk/high out of his mind, or manic)

Ah, the symbolism, the symbolism. Bring on the semiotics majors to deconstruct this.

11. WindowSeat says:

I’d like to give the guy something sturdier like an armoured transport, you could tell he really wanted to plough through the food court.

12. John_W_KCMO says:

Elizabeth, I think that the SUV is a pre-2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.

13. ColdNorth says:

@John Stracke:

Lights are kept on so that the cameras will see intruders.

Nearly all cameras these days are in color, mainly because it is hard to identify people just on b/w footage. (Suspect was wearing a RED jacket, GREEN pants and a BLACK baseball cap with ORANGE badge.)

Doors are all designed to break away from their frames quite easily. In fact, they will ALL push OUT, even when locked, so that in case of a fire or other panic, people will not be crushed against them. While they are supposed to keep a determined person from pushing IN, they certainly are no match for an SUV which is very heavy (hence the poor gas mileage.)

As to why the escalators are still running? Who knows? Maybe it’s mall policy. After all, with all the lights running, what’s the difference with keeping the escalators on?

14. Coronagold says:

Lisa – “Hey, knock it off! Just because my dad is overweight doesn’t mean he’s some kind of eating monster!”
    Homer(sucking on ice pop) – “…oh, and it’s raspberry!”

I think it’s funny that he absolutely had to get to the food court or else. Judging from his size he looks like a Hells Angel wanna-be. Throw his carcass in a federal “pound-me-in-the-ass” prison.

15. It looked like a 2005 or 2006 Mitsu Outlander. I have an 06. I love it. Its not a huge SUV.. All of them were 4 cylinders prior to the 2007 remodel.

16. MeOhMy says:

Most security cams I’ve worked with are color anymore.

17. SmoovyG says:

As much fun as it was to see the car tear through the mall, it was the pimpslap on the cop that made my morning. Dude was out of hand!

18. shaunirving says:

19. mcsey says:

Done and done shaunirving. Although I had to use a cheesy midi of Time is Tight.

20. markymags says:

@SmoovyG: Yea, that slap thrown at the police officer made me cringe. He reeled way back and then connected on the officer a couple times after the initial pimp slap.

21. CorporalNobby says:

Hm, all of a sudden I am curious about Mitsubishi SUVs. Does it mean that M. should be supporting the guy’s family while he does his term?

22. thewinchester says:

I gotta agree with the calls for some music on this video, but I was thinking something more classical like the “Moonlight” Sonata from Beethoven, the Overture to “Carmen” by Georges Bizet, or the Mephisto Waltz in A by Franz Liszt.

23. scootinger says:

This video reminds me of driving through a mall on GTA Vice City…

24. This clip is just calling for the Blues Brothers theme music to be played over it…

“New Oldsmobiles are in early this year…”

25. Tonguetied says:

Lots of space in this mall…

26. saaron34 says:

Disco pants and haircuts…