Above And Beyond: Disney Makes Canceling Easy And Fun!

In today’s installment, Disney shows us the classy way to bid a customer farewell. Mike called to cancel several Toontown accounts his kids were no longer using. Mike is an Operations Manager for a call center, and knows and expects “every trick in the book.” Mike didn’t realize Disney has their own book collection.

Disney: “May I ask why you’re canceling?”
Mike: “We don’t use it any more”
Disney: “Ok, now I see that you’re already 10 days into a month you’ve paid for.”
Mike: “OK” I expect to pay for the month, even if I don’t use it.
Disney: “I’ll go ahead and credit back that month’s payment to your cc”
Mike: “ok……”
Disney: “Thanks for calling”

Mike writes, “I love to go off on bad service more than most because of my job, but here’s to your frozen head in jar Walt, that rocked.”

Mike’s full email, inside.

My kids are huge fans of Toontown, the online Disney MMOG. You know that on the Internet nobody knows you’re a dog? Well, my 5 year old is a beta-tester on their test server, which kinda freaks when he’s filling out bug reports on his own, but that’s totally a different story.

We’ve got 4 different accounts with them, and inspired by the New Year, I decided to cancel the ones that I’ve been paying for, but the kids haven’t been using. Kinda like AOL accounts.

I call them, and as a true Consumerist, I’m girding my loins preparing for an epic drama with me against the Mighty Mouse.

Retentionist vs Consumerist

Disclosure: I am an Operations Manager for a major Non-US Call Centre, both inbound and outbound, sales and customer service, so I know and expect every trick in the book. I even know the magic word “escalations”, whoops, forget I said that.

On hold for 4 minutes, just time enough for KD Lang’s song from “Home on the Range”

CSR comes on, Kim I think. Cheerful, and polite.
Takes my data.
Disney: “May I ask why you’re canceling?”
Mike: “We don’t use it any more”
Mike: “OK” I expect to pay for the month, even if I don’t use it.
Disney: “I’ll go ahead and credit back that month’s payment to your cc”
Mike: “ok……”
Disney: “Thanks for calling”

WTF?

A refund without asking or begging. And one I didn’t expect.

— CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER

Comments

1. Manue says:

Isn’t it incredible that we’re now amazed by basic, easy, polite service?

2. Rajio says:

I agree with cixi – this isn’t “above and beyond”, this is just what we should be receiving in terms of CS treatment. Its nice but its just basic, easy, polite service.

3. Stepehn Colbert says:

huh, wouldnt you think disney could afford to make a better looking game?

4. MarcusSonsteby says:

This is really commendable.

Cingular, are you reading this?

5. mom22bless says:

I think it’s stupid to pay 7.95 a month for an online game for a kid. That’s $95 a year….

6. billybastion says:

@Nero: no offense to you or anything, but it really annoys me when people comment about things that they know nothing about.

toontown was a sort of revolution (or evolution) of mmorpg’s in that, it was created specifically for children. the cartoony look of the game serves its purpose: bright colorful visuals and simple textures are appealing to the targeted audience and allow for a little more variance in what kids can do in-game. maybe the visuals arent groundbreaking for you, but for disney and its audience it doesnt matter. what DOES matter is toontown provides a safe environment for kids to play, one in which parents dont have to worry about some creepy person or immature teenager attacking their child with curse words or come ons. i have several friends that have children that play it, and they all agree its a welcome diversion from the other endless number of ways children are left open to approach (even with constant computer time supervision from the parents) by people/things on teh internets.

so anyways, i think toontown is a great thing for parents and kids, the graphics serve their purpose.

on a post related reply: disney is usually pretty good about customer service throughout their company. i think iger has made a point to reiterate that with his employees.

7. zentec says:

Disney has a great reputation of customer service. Where else can you spend a day at their parks, pay $3 for drinks, $50 for hot dogs and hamburgers for a family of four and feel good about it? Wait, not just good, but really good about it.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad experience with anything Disney. Of course, the corporate machine took me by the feet, tipped me upside down to extract every last nickel.

8. davere says:

Disney will extra every nickel and dime from you. However, when it comes to “guest recovery” (their lingo), they are second to none.

9. Helvetian says:

Well said billy about Toontown. I’ve even played TT and enjoyed it. It’s bright, and beautiful. A great safe online gaming experience for children (and adults!). Disney has outstand guest service. I disagree that the call should be considered the standard, offering a refund is a gesture of goodwill and going beyond. Most TOS indicate your service is canceled as of the date you do so, and no refunds will be issued for unused portion. It was exceptional that the rep issued a full credit.

Kudos to Disney Online!

10. DarenTx says:

I disagree. This is not an example of good customer service.

Our family also had Disney’s Toontown. It’s a great game for the family. We downloaded the software and signed up online.

When we went to cancel we were not able to cancel online. You had to call during business hours. There is no reason why canceling online should not be an option.

Make it easy to sign up. Make them jump through hoops to cancel.

That is not good customer service.

11. angryconsumer says:

One time, my dad’s power wheelchair broke down at closing time at Epcot. Not a single person from Disney staff helped us. We were stuck there for about a hour and a half in the rain on a Saturday. We paid for our tickets just like anyone else. Luckily, some tourists came to help us. I don’t have much respect for Disney after that incident. But nice to see Disney actually making it easy to cancel an account unlike some companies *coughcough*AOL*coughcough*.

12. Roosh says:

wait until next month when you get charged like usual!

13. wbeyea says:

Many years ago when Epcot opened, we experienced several ride breakdowns. When I went to customer service and complained, they offered me free tickets to come back. When I explained that we were from Canada and that coming back in the near future wasn’t possible, the customer service rep without a blink refunded the entire park admission price for the multiday passes that we had bought. She appologized for everything and finished with I hope you’ll come back after we get the bugs ironed out. I’ve been back three times with my family since.

14. harleymcc says:

Mike here.

Nope, no extra charge, and the refund was back on my card in 3 days.

15. sillybgoat says:

I almost feel like signing up with them just so I can cancel.