Credit Card Documentary "Maxed Out" Opens Today

Maxed Out, a documentary about the credit card industry, is opening today in select cities (New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington DC, Seattle, and Austin) and next week in a few more (Chicago, Boston, and Minneapolis).

We haven’t seen it yet, but the trailer is really interesting. The debt collectors are so slimy! Anyone planning on seeing it? —MEGHANN MARCO

“Maxed Out” Opens in Theatres Today [CL&P]

UPDATE: J.D. from Get Rich Slowly writes,

For whatever reason, the production company for MAXED OUT contacted me and sent me a screener of the film. My wife and I watched it earlier this week. (I actually watched it twice so that I had a better feel for it.) They sent me the book, too, but I haven’t had a chance to read it.

I posted my review here
In short, it’s a fine film, but it has some flaws.

Comments

1. thrillhouse says:

I’ll be there. I am so stoked that this is coming to the big screen.

2. Daytonna says:

Very interesting, would love to see it. Even though as a conservative I am sure it will piss me off when they blame Bush for peoples poor personal finacial choices. *(If the trailer is any indication of how the rest of the movie will go)*

Will be really nice to see just how predatory the CC lending instituions are.

Still will have to honestly cavaet the whole movie for the simple fact that people put themselves in these problems, not the banks. No free ride from personal responsibility. Regardless of whether not the banks capitalize on peoples poor choices.

3. RandomHookup says:

They so should have invited you to a preview. You’re not working the ‘journalist’ swag approach hard enough.

4. JPropaganda says:

@Daytonna: That’s not at all the feeling i got from it, it’s more about the American Ideology of get now, pay later despite your ability to afford something. Those clips were just good ways to prove that point: country’s in trouble? People should buy more stuff.

5. mrbenning says:

@Daytonna: I feel the same way.

I’m annoyed at the debt I have, but I wouldn’t blame anyone else for it.

And just because Bush encourages all of us to take a three thousand dollar trip to Disney World, it doesn’t mean we have to take him up on it.

6. KenyG says:

You’re pre-approved!!!

Lots of debt? No problem – borrow from us to pay it off.

No down payment, no payments until 2008.

Getting a small montly stipend? Get CASH now – you deserve it.

7. Daytonna says:

@JPropaganda: Ah, thanks hadn’t looked at it from that angle. Sorry, hard not to see political attacks in everything these days.

But more maybe its more along the lines of the fast food nation documentary they did a few years ago. Instant gratification fostered by predatory buisness’s?

Will have to find a place to go see the movie for sure.

8. karimagon says:

I wish I could go see it. But I don’t live anywhere near any of those cities. Sad face.

I wish there were more screenings in more cities in independent theaters; that’s what a film like this is meant for.

9. Little Miss Moneybags says:

I saw a screening here in NYC last week, and I found it very moving. The personal stories are hard to ignore. However, I was very disappointed at the lack of emphasis on personal responsibility. There are clear cases of predatory lending (as in one mentally disabled gentleman who was coerced into signing as a cosignor on a loan his mother couldn’t afford) and college students who commit suicide…but there was also a woman with a $4000 mortgage who paid it with cash advances. Not featured in the movie but in the companion book is a national guardsman who paid for her Escalade and boob job on her goverment-issued card. Hard to see what’s predatory in that.

@Daytonna, I didn’t really get the feeling that the movie was blaming Bush for individuals being in debt, but he certainly pointed out how much debt Bush has put the COUNTRY in (and not just Bush but other presidents as well). There are probably parts that will get on your nerves as a conservative, but I didn’t think it was too terribly political.

@Meghan and RandomHookup, I wish I’d thought to forward the link to the NYC screening to you–it was put on by Americans for Fairness in Lending. If you’re interested, I can send you a copy of the companion book by the same name (I work for the publisher).

10. Again, this reminds me of the Frontline documentary “The Secret History of the Credit Card”, which you can view (anywhere and for free) by clicking here.

11. Meg Marco says:

Scarfish, cool. Email me at marco [at] consumerist [dot] com. RandomHookUp, swag? What? Huh? =)

12. RandomHookup says:

@meghannmarco:

I too work for a media company, but I only get the trickle down swag. We pay our writers in review copies of books, screener DVDs and free booze at press events.

13. spanky says:

FYI, it’s also playing in Denver through the 15th, at the Starz theater in the Tivoli.

14. tsferg says:

I dont know if you guys know that Errol Morris made a television series but he did, its called “First Person”, and its amazing. The first show is about a lawyer named Andrew Capoccia or “Mr Debt” who takes on the credit card companies on behalf of the little guy, a must see for consumerist fans.