American Express: What's An Apartment Number?

American Express truncated Ted’s address and sent his account to collections when he never received or paid his bill. The card in question was a backup card Ted used once in May 2006. He called Amex when he didn’t receive a bill in June. They told him a bill would only be issued if there were charges. He asked for one anyway, but they refused. Company policy.

Jump forward to December 27th. 8:30 AM. I get woken up by a collections agency telling me a) that I owe American Express for a charge from August, that b) I was obviously defrauding them, and that c) I was, to put it mildly, not being cooperative.

Ted never received a statement. Ted never received a late-notice. Ted never got a call from Amex. So why was a collections agency on the phone?

Ted was willing to pay his bill. He tried, several times, but wanted the written statement of debt to which he’s entitled under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. He finally paid out of fear that his credit report would be tarnished. Before he did, he figured out what went wrong.

Ted’s email, below.

So, I got an American Express card around April. It was meant to be a backup card, so I didn’t expect to use much of it at all. I used it in May, but not in June. A week or two after I didn’t get any statement, I called in, and asked. American Express informed me that American Express wouldn’t send out statements if I didn’t make any charges. Thinking that this was an easy way to get someone in trouble, I asked if they’d send them along anyway, and was informed that it was a company policy.

Well, I wasn’t expecting it to be used much, so I wasn’t exactly worried, and since they would send one out to me if I had a charge, I’d just not use it much.

I honestly didn’t know what the charge was, I hadn’t received any statements. After several minutes of trying to be polite prior to coffee, and trying to get actual information, I got off the phone with the collections agency, called American Express. They wouldn’t talk to me. That’s right — their policy is to not talk to people who’ve gone to collections.

I called back and finally got with a CSR who basically told me that all she could do was send me the statements. All contact I had over the matter was to go to the collections agency (yes, the same one who had called me, first thing I asked about.) I call back to the collections agency, and spoke with a rather nice woman, who sympathized, but said that basically I did owe them. I asked that they send me some paperwork talking about what I owe, and what’s going on. They ask me to send money, and I said I’d see what I could do.

OK, flash forward a couple of days. Another phone call from the collections agency. I state that I still haven’t gotten any written information on what I owe them, what I owe them. They claim they sent it, and want to know if I’ve sent the check.

At this point, I’m more worried about my credit report than anything, so I say that I’ll pay the whole thing off, right now, no questions asked, if they’ll just clean off the credit report, and we all go our separate ways. There’s been a goof-up, I don’t know who’s at fault, but I’m willing to fork out the money just to let it go away.

The collections agency said that they couldn’t do that, and that the collections agency has little or no contact with American Express. And then, just to make certain it’s just going to be a lovely day, I was told that if I keep asking about trying to make a deal, it will be considered a refusal to pay.

It’s at this point that I point out that the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act requires that they send the written statement to me in 5 days, and it’s been more than that. So, why no letter?

And finally, that’s when this all clears up. American Express truncated my address so it didn’t include my apartment number. Where’s it going? No idea. I explain that nothing’s going to get to me unless you send the apartment number, and that’s probably what’s wrong all the way back. Since I checked the address wa-aay back in June, this one’s their fault.

I’m told it doesn’t matter.

After several minutes of arguing with them, I’m exhausted. So I’m finally browbeaten into saying that I’ll see about sending money along.

Asked around, talked to several professionals, attempted to talk to my attorney (no calls back? Buh-bye.), even called into Clark Howard. All suggested that this was basically a no-win situation, pay it off and get on with life.

So, that’s what I did. I paid it off. And the payment went through, and I now have a nice faxed letter stating I paid off the money.

Why faxed?

BECAUSE THEY STILL HAVEN’T MAILED ME. Not a scratch. Bugger all.

Even when I called in to ask they fax me the information they’re required to send me by LAW, I got squat. I’ve asked, and asked, and asked. And now, I’m at my wits end.

Any suggestions?

As apartment-dwellers, we take this personally. Since this is completely Amex’s fault, at the very least, Amex should refund all late fees and send Ted a nice gift card and an apology. — CAREY GREENBERG-BERGER
(Photo: jen dunlap)

Comments

1. Anonymous says:

You still have a responsibility to pay, bill or no bill, and shouldn’t you be monitoring your account online anyways? American Express’ website is great.

2. bopo says:

A few times I’ve had my firm’s AmEx bill never show, although the address is fine, so it’s probably the USPS’s fault.

But whenever it happens I know how it will go. I’ll call AmEx, ask if they can fax the statement to me — they can’t (another wonderful company policy). Then I’ll ask if they can mail a duplicate statement, which they agree to. Then it never shows. A couple weeks later I get a call from AmEx and the whole thing restarts.

Eventually they ask if I’d be willing to pay it over the phone, and I decline until they get a paper statement to me.

3. LuvJones says:

Lets see he used the card but never paid anything to the company AFTER HE used the card….c’mon! He KNEW he owed them something!

4. rbb says:

@thbarnes: I too use the American Express website to pay my bill. Free and quite easy. And you can set it up to e-mail you notices for new charges, balance due, etc. so you do not get blindsided by a late notice…

5. colindean says:

One thing that he could have done was asked the collections agency to FedEx it or mail it with signature confirmation. That way, when it was signed by someone else, he could say that he never got it and that someone was signing for him illegally.

Find another lawyer and make sure that you’ve got everything documented and time/date-stamped.

6. Citron says:

@LuvJones: Yeah, he did know he owed money, which is why he asked for a statement — which is a completely reasonable thing to do. If some company asked you for money, wouldn’t you want a record of what you owe so you can keep track of things?

When our postman gets mail without apartment numbers on it, they just set it on the ledge by the mailboxes or they stuff it in a random mailbox (and it’s usually mine.) Luckily I live in a building with only a few tenants, so usually someone puts the mail in the right place.

7. Scuba Steve says:

Not everyone has internet access, and Amex has some pretty stupid policies.

8. silverlining says:

Even if he knew that he had a balance, I sure as heck wouldn’t want to pay a bill blindly.

This is ridiculous. It’s not like the post office doesn’t deliver mail to apartments.

AmEx owes you an apology and something for the inconvenience of the matter going to collections for their mistake.

“I was told that if I keep asking about trying to make a deal, it will be considered a refusal to pay.” “Make a deal”? You mean request the documentation you have a right to? That’s ridiculous.

Have you tried contacting your AG’s office? They’re usually pretty good about helping consumers with these kinds of situations…

9. You’d think nobody in these companies has ever heard of apartment buildings: BCBS, HSBC, American Express…you need two lines for the street address people, two!

You’d also think that there would be a phone call before something went to collections but it’s like they’d rather harass you later instead of getting paid sooner.

10. farscape7 says:

I was over 30 days late on one of my amx cards. They called the entire debt due. I called to work out a deal as i did not have the 7,000 to pay. They didn’t care. I said if you cant work with me i have another card with you for over 10,000 and i wont be paying that either. They still would not work with me. I have to actually thank amx for calling the debt as i would of probably spent years trying to pay them but as they were the straw that broke me i was able to default on all my cards declare bankruptcy and start my life over.

• Anonymous says:

People like you are the reason there are so many problems in the U.S economy. You think you can just borrow all kinds of money then declare bankruptcy and be done with it. What ever happened to taking responsibility for your actions. You do realize someone had to pay for all of the things you bought. How would you like it if someone borrowed money from you and then refused to pay? I guess they should be able to do exactly that

11. BillyShears says:

Which reminds me of my own dealings with Amex regarding my aparment’s address. Not only are their internal systems really bad at truncating, but it’s apparent by some of the mail I get that’s not statement related that they’re not even linked.

12. mac-phisto says:

ditto the other comments about knowing what you’re owing.

still, the collection part of the email is interesting (rather, inflaming). i found myself in a similar predicament a few years back. there are plenty of laws governing collections & collection procedures, but where is the accountability to the laws? it seems there is no recourse & a collection agent can never be held to their word. in my particular situation (refusal to pay a cell phone ETF), i actually had a double hit on my credit report from at&t wireless & the collection agent. evidently, you can sell the debt AND continue to report it as owed. despite sending proof of payment to the bureaus, letters to the state dept. of consumer protection, state atty gen (i’ve lost what little respect i had for gov’t desk jockeys) & numerous letters/phone calls to both parties, only a mortgage broker & his lawyer were able to get it removed in the end. maybe it’s back – it’s been a few months since i checked (gotta love those “soft deletes” the bureaus use). although the law allows you to sue, you can only sue for actual damages. is it even possible to prove what actual damages were in a case like this? what would my score have been w/o the collection?

13. automatic_blue says:

First things first – in most cases, you shouldn’t be paying a collection agency in the first place. Just don’t. You might have owed a debt at some point but once it has hit collections – BELIEVE ME, these guys are not playing fair and should not be dealt with as such.

If you can allege a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act a lot of attorneys will work on a contingent fee to take that case for you. Your lawyer isn’t returning your call because he likely isn’t a consumer attorney and doesn’t know how to handle this. Go to http://www.naca.net and do a lawyer search on their website.

Depending on where you are located I might be able to get you a good referral.

Get all your paperwork togheter, get yourself on http://www.naca.net and find a local consumer attorney who handles FDCPA and debt defense work.

Ideally, you should have done this before you paid them any money. Keep an eye on your bank account, buddy.

14. DougDascenzo says:

Scuba Steve:
    “Not everyone has internet access, and Amex has some pretty stupid policies.”

Yeah that’s true. Hey, have you guys checked out the new Nirvana album yet? Man, I really loved the first season of “Friends.” Anyone else think that one’s going to be a big hit?

Go paperless, save a tree.

15. voodoodle says:

this is just the kind of publicity card companies need while in a senate hearing. way to go consumerist.

it also does seem like he should have spent more time investigating after amex told him he no charges after he KNEW he did.

so the moral of the story: there’s no such thing as free lunch

16. jendomme says:

Agree with previous posts about the usefulness of the Amex website. You get an email when you balance is due. Then just go online line and pay it. No more BS excuses about not receiving a bill. Plus, you can even download a pdf of the most recent 12 bills.

BTW, who still waits to get a bill in the mail and then pay by check? Unless you are a grandparent, get with the program!

17. Smashville says:

@Scuba Steve: “Not everyone has internet access”

I’m willing to bet that the fact that he wrote an e-mail and reads the Consumerist…he has Internet access…

18. Scuba Steve says:

“Oh wait, it’s not 1993 anymore? Pretty much everyone has internet access, especially the guy who wrote an email to Consumerist.com to complain about a missing bill.

Go paperless, save a tree.”

I think if someone wants to do business by lending and offering credit they should be the ones with the diligence to give information to the lendee/creditee.

Alas they’ve grown so large as to have significant pull in our laws and our economy that we think it’s acceptable that the lendee/creditee must do everything in their power to get that information.

It shouldn’t be.

19. cypherpunks says:

Take it to small claims court. If nothing else, it’s a moral victory. They either need to send out an attorney to defend, and spend thousands of dollars, or you win by default, and you can get your late fees back and your credit record cleaned up.

20. Trick says:

Didn’t get a bill in the mail? Sounds reasonable, after all it has happened to me a few times over the years.

So what?

AmEx has a wonderful internet access. It takes about ten minutes to set up and you can see everything, including your address!

This sounds more like someone who didn’t pay a bill, was called on it by some bill collector and now wants sympathy.

I can say Fair Debt Collection Act too. However, there is a difference between saying the words and doing something about the situation at hand.

Why even bother to say those words if all you are going to do is roll over and pay the collection agency?

Mistake.

Mistake.

Mistake.

21. Billas says:

Gee, are there Amex agents in here. I sympathize with the original poster. I once had my Amex card stolen, I called up Amex, asked them to mail in my new card. In the meantime, my online account was also frozen and was told to call them up.
    Called them up, they told me to wait for my new card and number before proceeding. A month goes by, no card. Called them up again, they apologize and ask me to wait. Meanwhile I’ve forgotten about it. Forward 3 months, collections agency calls up. Amex will not talk to me once my account has gone to collections, so after talking to some Bob who’s obviously from India, I grow tired.
    I pay off the charge on my card (plus interest and a fraudulent charge I didn’t make) and get on with my life.
    But not so soon, started an anti-Amex club at my school, apparently alot of students have been swindled by Amex as well as a few other credit card companies. Hopefully this develops into something big and we may one day have no-interest credit card.

22. gibbersome says:

Amex is great as long as you’re on their good side. If you get on their bad side, they’re worse than you can imagine.

I am a college student, I got an offer for Amex Blue, $1500 limit. I used to buy books and the stuff, kept the balance below $1000, always made slightly more than the minimum payments. I didn’t owe any interest for 6 months so it was no big deal.

Well, 8 months go by, and Amex starts slapping me with outrages charges. $120 fee and closes my account. Turns out they reduced my credit to $500 without telling me! While only the month before I had made an $80 payment! My balance then was $810. So you can imagine my surprise. I had to pay off the extra charges cuz the customer service people kept indicating that they could not help me. I paid off the balance in full immediately and closed my Amex.

23. bastarre says:

@Trick: Why pay? Because if he doesn’t roll his credit score will get dinged and both he and the agency know that. I’ve always believed that a credit score is the biggest extortion scheme in the united states. Everything held against you and nothing gong for you. Sad that business’ mistakes costs consumers thousands of dollars in interest/deposits/etc.

24. TurgidDahlia says:

I think it’s really sad that somebody is willing to get pushed around just to protect their precious “credit rating”.

25. Xkeeper says:

@TurgidDahlia:
    It’s either “get pushed around” or “spend thousands more dollars because of evil spooky low score”.

The first one’s less painful overall.

26. Michael says:

My first credit card ever was a Bloomingdale’s with a $100 limit. I bought some Ralph Lauren sheets for $40 with the intention of paying the card back the next month. I didn’t receive a bill, and due to laziness and forgetfulness I never called them to handle my debt. Six months later, I started getting collection calls and my credit report was irrevocably tarnished. It turned out that Bloomingdale’s had got my address wrong, and was sending bills to a building two blocks down.

I was 18 and tried to build up good credit, and in doing so I ruined it. It wasn’t their fault, but I was still pretty pissed off. I think it worked in the end, because it made me just give up on the American credit reporting system entirely and stick to cash for everything.

27. you know, all this reminds me how much I hate credit cards.

28. herrbutzie says:

Go paperless, save a tree.

Not ever.

Wait until you get audited by the IRS and you have no paper to backup your deductions

29. levenhopper says:

obviously amex had his address right if they were able to mail him the card in the first place…i somehow don’t think we’re getting the full story here.

30. mad_oak says:

SCREW PAPERLESS!! GIVE ME A HARDCOPY!! And a truncated address isn’t that hard to believe. I worked in system development for a credit card company. Multiple systems handling different tasks. Each one has its own fields and data size limitations. Transfer a 16 data block field to a system using a 12 data block field and data gets lost. Crappy developers run a report, realize it will only affect .001% of the portfolio and let it work out in the wash. Good developers go to their boss and tell them that that .001% is equal to 1500 accounts and they are going to have to task 3 people for a week to manually transfer those 1500 accounts. Thats the way we did it… before we were ‘acquired’… then that level of customer service ‘went away’.

31. pdxguy says:

I had a big-time problem with Amex years ago when I had a corporate card with them. The address was severely truncated to the point that we only received in the mail about 1 out of 3 monthly statements. After repeatedly calling and calling and calling, it came out in one or more conversations with their CSRs that the corporate card system was essentially cloned from the consumer system. Nice to save time and expense but their corporate card addressing system doesn’t fit within the consumer system model.

Example consumer:
    jon dho
    123 elm st
    smallville, oh 12345
    = 3 lines maybe 4 if an apt. # line needed

Example corporate:
    jon dho
    dho widgets, inc.
    456 industrial lane
    suite 101
    bigton, oh 12346
    = 5 lines = big problem! system only has 4 lines

I tried explaining the necessity of this over and over to them to no avail. And to make it worse, each of the addressing lines was short – maybe only 25 characters or so – so they had to cram the street address and suite number into that many characters and it wound up looking predictably like gibberish. Made their systems developers look like real a**hats. I finally told them in a certified letter to send my statements with a correct address or I would take my business (> $100,000/month) to Visa. Next month, same wacked-out address from Amex. Hello Visa.

32. LuvJones says:

Of course I understand the need for a statement, but when the company didn’t send one did that mean he no longer owed them anything? I wish the law worked that way. He knew he owed them, yes it customary to receive a statement but if you don’t, it doesn’t mean you simply don’t pay anything. Why does it appear he gave up so easily when he didn’t receive a statement after he used the card? Seems strange to me. I don’t use AMEX but aren’t you supposed to pay it in full each month? Why didn’t he at least send the amount he had originally put on the card? It just seems fishy to me….

33. brooklynbs says:

People need to be proactive when it comes to managing your finances. One way to do so is to get rid of paper bills and do everything online.

I check all of my accounts weekly to ensure that I’ve paid my bills on time and that there is no fraud, excess charges, etc. It takes less than 30 minutes and I’ve saved myself a lot of heartache by taking the time to monitor my accounts.

34. bostik says:

If you pay the balance into a credit balance like +$1 then you will receive a statement each month with a credit.

35. snowferret says:

Wow thats total crap. Im sure theres some rule somewhere that would let him out of oweing the late fees on this because AMEX never contacted him in any way to let him know he owed them. Sending something to someone using the WRONG address does not count as sending it to them. You knowwhat he shuold do? Send them a check thruogh the mail with the wrong addres on it. Thats irony for you! Of course probably the only was he can get out of this is to just pay it and maybe he can sue them.

36. mac-phisto says:

@TurgidDahlia: it’s not just credit rating. collection agents are pretty good at getting bank executions & wage executions too. now you’ve got a judgement on your record. people (you know, like prospective employers) just love seeing that stuff. i know people that have been fired b/c of wage executions.

i know what most people are thinking – they have to notify me before they take me to court.

sure, just like they have to send you a monthly bill…

37. tz says:

Over 25 years ago, someone stole my credit card receipt and then ordered a few things via mail order. I called Amex up and told them it was fraud. They started an investigation and two months later sent me a copy of the charge slip (with a misspelling nowhere near my name, wrong phone, address, etc.) and reinstated the charge. I called back and THEN they opened the fraud complaint. I cancelled the card. Six times they sent me “please reinstate your card – the same number”, six times I write back I need a different number.

Nice to know they are such a stable solid company that they haven’t changed even in their stupidity over three decades.

38. kimsama says:

@mac-phisto: Most people only suffer a wage execution after trying to hide from their debt. Usually it goes something like this:

Debtor: “What’s this letter? Something about my debt? Well, I can’t pay it, so I’m going to ignore this letter.” (it’s a summons, as they are being sued).

Fast-forward to it going before a judge.

Judge: “Mr. Debtor has ignored the summons and isn’t here, so I find for the Collection Agency” (default judgment)

NOW, and only because of that default judgment against the debtor, can the collection agency execute a wage attachment (or a lien, for that matter).

A lot of these problems can be nipped in the bud by dealing with your debt, instead of ignoring it. After all, maybe you legitimately don’t owe the money. If you ignore it, and have a default judgment entered against you, when you go back to court to ask that the wage attachment be taken off, you can no longer dispute that you owe the money. Too bad! You lost your chance because you were trying to use the tried-and-true method of ignoring your problems to make them go away.

Lesson is, try to work out legitimate debts, fight debt that you didn’t incur, and never ignore a summons.

39. @jendomme, @DougDascenzo, @Trick:

1) We only know he sent an e-mail. That doesn’t mean he has Internet access at home. Would you do personal finances on a computer in a library?

2) Unless he made an agreement with the company to do so, he was not obligated to check his account online. Some people prefer paper statements.

3) You cannot expect to be paid if you don’t send a bill.

40. doones says:

Hey everyone. As the original person, here’s the scoop on several of the questions:

1) Did I know I’d had purchased something? Yes, but I’d forgotten. Really, in the day-to-day run-around, it was a simple charge of about $200 on a card I’d used twice before. I really didn’t remember. I use bills to remind myself to pay them. So am I responsible for the original amount? Heck yeah — I *want* to pay that off. And would have, if I’d gotten a bill.

2) I don’t do online service because I’ve actually had another card hacked once, and I’ve worked with computers for years and KNOW how easy it is to lose computer data. Should I have saved a tree? Possibly — but I’ve got an auditor for a mom, and I keep paper backups because I know how easy it is to lose data online. I really do prefer paper statements, and I’m not unique, weird, or even uncommon in that. Despite our online techophilia, paper bills are the most common way to get bills.

3) Someone asked how I got the card. I’d got the card at my original address, and had moved since then. I called in to check the address when I moved, and called in once I didn’t receive the first bill. Both times the right address was given back to me. It was only when I talked to the collections agency that I found the apartment number was truncated.

4) The principle wasn’t what I’m objecting to — it’s the interest that racked up because they were sending it to the wrong address. Yep, I borrowed the money. I owe them that, no question. But the counter agreement is that they send me a statement saying how much I owe them. Instead of sending me a statement, they truncated the address and it went someplace else. Their fault? Well, yeah — I gave them the right address, multiple times. They failed to put it down correctly. They failed to mail the bill properly. Should I owe them the interest because they screwed up?

5) Why write into Consumerist? Because I’m out of options. I’ve talked to several lawyers informally, called Clark Howard, and gotten advice. The general statement is, “It sucks, but pay it and move on.” Which is what I did. But I’m a firm believer in fair is fair. I did what was right; I called in, I checked my address, I went the extra mile — and through no fault of my own I was dinged for the extra amount. OK, that happens. But I want to make sure it doesn’t happen to anyone else. Watch it with these guys.

41. mathfeel says:

This is yet another confirmation for me that AMEX has some really outdated computer…I changed my AMEX online password recently (good thing to do every now and then), and found myself unable to login. Something about not correctly formated. After 2 days, I finally figure out that they have a maximum string length of 8 characters and the new password has 9 characters.

42. TheName says:

@doones: I feel ya man. We attempted to setup our Visa on our bank’s online billpayer (as we have with all our other bills) so the bank gets an eBill and the balance is paid when it’s due. The CC company refused saying that the only way they allow that kind of thing is by automatic EFT from a checking account. Well, we refuse; I’m not allowing a CC company (I mean, they’re inherently scrupulous, right?) unfettered access to my checking account without sending me a bill.

Come two months later we don’t notice we haven’t received a bill (surprising how easy it is to not notice that). A purchase comes up and suddenly the card’s declined. Turns out while we were talking to the CSR, she had already shifted the account to “paperless” billing i.e., no bill is produced or sent because they’re debiting a checking account for whatever amount is on it. We get no bill and, thus, don’t pay it for 2 consecutive months and they lock the account. Not to mention the fees and penalty interest rate. The only upshot is that we weren’t carrying any real balance.

Of course, they’re adamant that we’re delinquent and it was our responsibility to pay attention. So far they’re refusing to return us to the original rates or reverse the fees … and you are correct: fair is fair and this is not.

43. SayAhh says:

It is possible for the card and the statement to be sent out by two separate mailing facilities, with different computer programs, which is why the two envelopes (the statement vs the actual ATM/debit/credit card) might have different fonts, senders, and yes, different number of fields/lines for addresses available for entry (not to mention number of characters per line).

This is why sometimes I don’t get the renewal notices from the DMV: If they truncate, then there’s no apartment number, but it’s not the person’s fault because s/he doesn’t know that the computer cuts off the address. Funny thing is, while my renewal notice gets truncated, the envelope in which the new registration sticker come in lists my complete address. Catch-22, maybe? Good thing I had them shorten the address by removing “street” or “boulevard,” otherwise I’d never get my DMV bill.

I’ve have good experiences with AmEx so far, but I do sympathize with Ted–to a degree. If you forgot, then it’s your fault, but you can always send in payment for the stuff you did buy, which surely would cover the minimum payment. I’ve never had any payments refused when paid, a) early, or b) for more than my bill was worth.

Obviously if you’re going through a divorce or something then I can see why you neglected to realize that you haven’t gotten a bill, but otherwise, just let it be a lesson learned–albeit the hard way–and move on. Work hard, and maybe buy a house. That’s what I’m trying to do :)

44. moolman says:

The apartment number being cut off seems to be a common problem. I had a the AMEX Gold already and was getting my bills without problems. They offered me an AMEX Starwood so I signed up. Didn’t get the card for awhile so I called up and they told me it was returned as undeliverable. They verified the address and it was the correct address. They told me they will relabel the envelope and mail it out again. This time the card came and I peeled off the old envelope. I saw that my apartment number was cut off. It said XXX RD AP that’s it. When I compared the address on my Gold card statements, the apartment number is on the second line. The stupid part is, another month later I sign up for the AMEX Blue because they offered me 15K MR points. Again, same problem with the apartment number on the card but this time the postman must of figured it out because it was delivered. I called and got the apartment number on the second line and all my AMEX bills are like that and get delivered. I do pay online though so I wouldn’t have been screwed like the original poster.